The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How Far We Can Define A Pen As Vintage!

balance blue vintage 90s sheaffer

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 H1N

H1N

Vintage Premium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2017 - 20:21

From my education at FPN,  a fountain is "vintage", when it is older than Pakman.   :P

He wouldn't lie about this !   :rolleyes:

That was before, but now I would say, a fountain is "vintage", when it is older than Pakman when he was at 50 age! ;)

Sponsored Content

#122 H1N

H1N

Vintage Premium

• Member - Gold

• 1,634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:51

Interesting link

https://www.vintagep...e_defined.shtml

Edited by H1N, 09 July 2017 - 07:56.

#123 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:23

David appears to have added no comment to this thread, which is fair in that he has a commerical interest in definitions and implications for values..
"...all observation must be for or against some view if it is to be of any service." Charles Darwin

#124 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:15

Parker 45s could be 1960's, 70's, or more specific after 1980, vintage. You could have a 2010 vintage Duofold, all relating to a certain date or era.

On the other hand, the 1920's Parker 'Big Red' Duofolds might be known as vintage Parker. Or indeed the 51, or 45, relating to their quality.

So, of course, when I see a 'vintage' Parker 45 on eBay, I understand it to be a prime example of that paticular model.    :lticaptd:  :lticaptd:  :lticaptd: 

#125 BEEG

BEEG

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2017 - 15:28

I have a simple rule - it's older than me - it's a vintage one...but some sellers don't think that and I see pens from the 90s listed as Vintage.

Edited by BEEG, 09 July 2017 - 15:28.

#126 H1N

H1N

Vintage Premium

• Member - Gold

• 1,634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:00

I have a simple rule - it's older than me - it's a vintage one...but some sellers don't think that and I see pens from the 90s listed as Vintage.

I like your rule, but what about young ages!

#127 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,544 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:07

Before '70, vintage. 70-late 90's, semi-vintage..........late '90's-now........modern.

The break between semi-vintage and modern has to do with the company making them....in many of the semi-vintage have not changed .....even the nibs. Pelikan changed the nibs in '98. Had changed the nibs before in '82-97.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#128 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:48

if you know the age of something, then it's probably of more practicable use to a buyer that you provide this information - assuming you are selling it - than to use vague terms like vintage which really means nothing outside of the wine trade, possibly.       Pre-owned is another expression which is a slightly up-market way of saying secondhand - you might literally be the second person to own this item, on the other hand you could be the fiftieth, but it's come to be a catch all expression for anything not brand new and of indeterminate age.  

Sellers want to enhance the value of their goods, and secondhand just doesn't cut it like vintage.

I had some notion that there was a considered opinion that vintage indicated up to fifty years of age, and antique one hundred, so some of our pens may now justifiably be called antiques.

Apart from dictionaries - and outside of the wine trade -  does the law have anything to say about a definition for vintage ??

Which reminds me of the joke ………….   if barristers take down their briefs do they become solicitors?

#129 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:00

vintage means over 50 years old for me

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#130 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 15:12

When I used to hang out at antique shows, the rough principle the dealers used was that if an item was thirty years old it was vintage; a hundred years old, it’s antique.
I have some Chinese dishes with a government seal certifying that they’re more than a century old. I got them a long time ago, so I don’t know if they still do that.

#131 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,544 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 18:21

An antique is by law 100 years old....outside of cars....they become antique when you get a special license plate that says you don't have to have seat belts, or a converter and can burn rubber in front of a cop car.

I admit my classification of vintage is biased, in up to @ 1970/72 (Pelikan 1965) The major German makers if they made semi-flex still made them.

I agree with the pre-owned BS. Don't like the word gifted either.

I know lots of dead English teachers suddenly sitting up applauding me being 'A Defender of the English Language'.....you get old and grumpy, unless one was an English teacher, then one is/was young and grumpy.

...the pre-owned auto....was driven by a little old grandma on Sundays................at the the Winter Nationals.

Pre-Owned....means you are stupid enough to pay more for something secondhand or used, to have your ego $troked.

I may have 5-6 new pens out of the 80 so am not into new in that is $$$ outside of Chinese.   ...do have some junkers which don't get counted....now it's amazing what junk some save until a chance comes to give it away...and watches with out a battery....because I collect mechanical watches.

Those watches were pre-owned..... :rolleyes: Not worth enough to buy a new battery for the original owner or for me.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 19 May 2019 - 18:29.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#132 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 18:56

vintage means over 50 years old for me

Ditto. Right or wrong, I’d call it 50+ years

#133 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 19:09

Do "the kids" no longer "get it"?

Do they say "do you remember where you were on 9/11? I wasn't even born then"

If it's older than the current batch of teenagers entering college, it's vintage. Stuff from 1990 is vintage. Cars don't really count because they're social extensions of our means, but look at furniture, houses, clothing style, film, music and technology.

One thing to note is that what is "vintage" has kind of been accelerating because of the internet. Our world leaps trends in a 4 month cycle now, not the 5-10 years it used to be. So since 2000 or so, we've gone through more trends in the past 20 years than we did in the previous 80.

I'm not even 31 yet and all the stuff I grew up with is vintage.

I know this isn't a new phenomenon, but it does feel weird that some of the things I own are still being made and are older than the kids in my college classes.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 19 May 2019 - 19:13.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#134 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 21:54

I read through this with amusement but it seems the original meaning of vintage has not been exactly mentioned

the word vintage comes from the French word vendenge which means wive harvest and comes from the latin word vindemia (in Italian vendemmia)

the word defines generally wines from specific years in which quality was high grade.

with a meaning of praise the word is also extended to products different from wine, of particular fine quality (tobacco, cars, fashion, furniture) often in which style is démodé, evoking a certain period, style, tendency, taste.

So the actual age of vintage is undefined but it does refer to a specific style which has become known, recognizable, iconic, in a way.

#135 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2019 - 22:03

I read through this with amusement but it seems the original meaning of vintage has not been exactly mentioned

the word vintage comes from the French word vendenge which means wive harvest and comes from the latin word vindemia (in Italian vendemmia)

the word defines generally wines from specific years in which quality was high grade.

with a meaning of praise the word is also extended to products different from wine, of particular fine quality (tobacco, cars, fashion, furniture) often in which style is démodé, evoking a certain period, style, tendency, taste.

So the actual age of vintage is undefined but it does refer to a specific style which has become known, recognizable, iconic, in a way.

You're right, in that vintage has no term because it's a word that refers to a high quality wine of a known date of harvest.

So a 2017 vintage Cheatau St. Michelle wine can be "vintage" as long as it's good

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#136 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• 2,328 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:33

1965  Romanee-Conti. That's vintage!

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#137 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:07

1965  Romanee-Conti. That's vintage!

As much as is the chateau Margaux 1979

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: balance, blue, vintage, 90s, sheaffer

Sponsored Content

|