Repair Center In Ft Worth Tx

Starguard

Due to the open carry legislation in Texas, the service center is moving back to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania to reduce damage to barrels during gunplay on the factory floor.

Fred

Seems like so many companies' service centers, return departments, headquarters, or any other buildings in general are somewhere in Texas. It must be the headquarters of headquarters haha.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starguard

• Mister Mont Blanc

• jar

• Blade Runner

I thought about it and I feel the same way, I'm told the pen is pretty old and they just didn't have the parts. The rep on the phone was surprised, I looked up "Fulhalter and it just means "Fountain Pen" in German. It's hard to wait, but I have other pens I can use in the mean time and I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Yeah I forgot to mention that too... I laughed a little when I read that as I envisioned the employees describing it as some rare, ancient instrument that they looked up information on and came back with "This particular model is what they call a 'fountain pen.'" haha :lticaptd:

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Yeah I forgot to mention that too... I laughed a little when I read that as I envisioned the employees describing it as some rare, ancient instrument that they looked up information on and came back with "This particular model is what they call a 'fountain pen.'" haha :lticaptd:

Your reaction was the same as mine, when I looked up the translation! Pretty funny! :lol:

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

I have a pen in Fort Worth now. I will send a complete report but think I will wait until I can comment on the service I receive.

As far a customer service, you have heard about the Right hand not knowing what the Left hand is doing? Well after 5 or 6 emails and 6 or 7 phone calls I'm pretty sure the Right hand down there doesn't even know there IS a Left hand!!

Kim

Seems like so many companies' service centers, return departments, headquarters, or any other buildings in general are somewhere in Texas. It must be the headquarters of headquarters haha.

Why, yes! Yes it is! :D

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

It's been over 3 weeks since the pen went to Germany, I called to see if there were any updates, and there are none, but the CSR cheerfully told me if the nib didn't meet their quality specs it would have to be replaced, which would definitely put the repair costs out of my reach, I told him as much, then he backpedaled a bit and said they would 'work with me'. This was the first time I was informed of this, I freely admit the nib looks awful, but it works just fine. It doesn't need to be replaced. I told him this, so we'll see what happens next.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

It's been over 3 weeks since the pen went to Germany, I called to see if there were any updates, and there are none, but the CSR cheerfully told me if the nib didn't meet their quality specs it would have to be replaced, which would definitely put the repair costs out of my reach, I told him as much, then he backpedaled a bit and said they would 'work with me'. This was the first time I was informed of this, I freely admit the nib looks awful, but it works just fine. It doesn't need to be replaced. I told him this, so we'll see what happens next.

The thing is, Montblanc has their own standards of how their products are presented and exist in the world. Although the nib may be perfectly usable, utility is not the Montblanc brand promise. The writing instrument must present itself in such a way that onlookers and users alike see the image of Montblanc and what it stands for. As one representative told me, they replace anything that "effects the integrity of the writing instrument."

I would stand your ground and have them do what you want done. Hopefully they won't have an "all-or-nothing" approach toward working on your pen after everything thus far.

I intend to! My pocketbook won't allow anything else! The rep advised me to call back in a week, so I should (hopefully) have another update on Thursday. Stay tuned for the next episode of Katherine vs Montblanc!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to reflect my experience... I sent out a 146 platinum trim about 3 weeks ago for scratchy nib (EF) and increasingly wet flow. Called multiple time daily for 3-4 days and always left voice messages since no one answer at all! Finally was able to talk to an "ambassador" and was told the nib was changed out for a new one. So far so good....

I got the pen back on tuesday and sent it out again on wednesday (2/10/16) since the piston knob was wobbly and does not tighten down completely (leaving a gap to the ring) Sigh... what a dissappointment@@

Well, at least you got it back! I'm still waiting. A call today got me almost the exact same message I got last week. "We haven't heard from Germany, but I'm sure if you call about the middle of next week we'll have an update.". The rep sounded bored and just wanted to get me off the phone. This particular agent keeps referring to it as a nib repair. It's not. The nib is fine. Montblanc has had the pen since January 5th.

Edited by Katherines

Ugh... i sincerely do hope you will get your pen back.. in a semi timely fashion!! I would certainly go borderline insane if i am separated from my "prreeeciiouuussss" for so long... Now i am getting worried again... sigh..

I have updates, I will wait until the pen is safely back in my hands, before I detail what happened. it's on it's way back to Ft Worth from Germany, they sent it back on the 9th, so of course that will take about 2 weeks, then shipping time to me from Ft Worth. It has not been repaired.

I don't know yet! That was one of the things they were supposed to tell me. I think it's a slimline. Once I have the pen back I'm hoping they will have supplied that information

I don't know yet! That was one of the things they were supposed to tell me. I think it's a slimline. Once I have the pen back I'm hoping they will have supplied that information

Okay. It is highly unlikely Montblanc would have any parts or expertise with that era of pen so now you can start down a better path.

Second, what problem(s) were you facing?

My Website

The cost of a Montblanc repair of a slimline will be more than the pen is worth, unless it's solid gold.

Fred

Well, it's not solid gold! the pen seeps at the point where the nib and feed enter the section, it gets into the cap and then when the pen is posted it transfers ink to end end of the pen and then onto my fingers! Before I sent it I was told the repair should be any where from $95.00-$175.00 depending on what needed to be done. At no point was I told that they don't repair older pens (or limited edition pens!) until last Friday. I'll be the first to admit the nib looks awful, especially under a loupe, but it writes very well and I told them several times I was not interested in replacing the nib. The first time an agent mentioned that a nib replacement was recommended, I emphasized that was out of the question since that would put the cost of the repair out of my means, at that point he backpedaled a bit and said they would "work with me".

Okay. When you get the pen back...

Please understand I am not a pen doctor and don't even play one on TV or stay at Holiday Inn Express, but ...

IIRC (but I'm old and so most of it must be forgotten) the Montblanc VIP/Slimline/Noblesse nibs were simple screw in type and that there is a small "O-ring" to seal the unit. If the casing is not cracked and you see leaking at that point then the likely culprit is that "O-ring" or an air leak at the cartridge/converter.

When you get the pen back can you try these things kinda in this order.

Fill a converter with water, put in the pen and put pen nib down. Wait about an hour if necessary. Is there a leak? If so, first replace converter. If it's the converter you'll likely see the leak immediately.

Next, test to see if the nib is simply loose. If it tightens repeat step one and see if problem solved.

If it's tight, unscrew nib/feed assemble and check "O-ring" Replace with similar size from hardware store. Repeat step 1.

If still leaking, inspect the nib casing (section where it screws in) with loupe to see if there is a small crack. If nothing seen then it's time to call in someone who did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

My Website

I'll try all of that! Thank you for the suggestions. I'm not expecting the pen back for awhile yet, it was sent back to Ft Worth on the 9th.

Frankly, I'm perpetually baffled when it comes to MB servicing because issues like those summarized in this thread are recurrent. I always use a private pen person for repairs and restoration work. These people know the pens, know the concerns of their customers and have a vested interest in a good outcome. A few complaints about MB result in nothing. A few for a small business pen restorer and that's it. Plus, some of these people are real artisans and deserve support. MB on the other hand, is in the business of selling new pens. Post-sales service is of secondary interest and tertiary importance...evidently.