How To Write Calligraphy On A Smaller Scale?

MidnightInk

Hey guys! As you all are probably aware, a lot of the calligraphy you see online is shown with a few words that are beautifully done. (Definitely does not represent them all by any means) But what I'm wondering is how would you suggest doing it on a smaller scale, such as an entire letter. (not 'letter' as in the alphabet) Must I keep a light hand through most letters? I'm finding that if I go heavier on the down strokes everything becomes sloppy, blobby and squished. I realize this is probably a loaded question but nevertheless I've been having problems with it and would appreciate any help!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MidnightInk

• smk

• LeonW

• juliavdw

It sounds like you are asking about writing Copperplate on a small scale. It is much more difficult to write well at a smaller scale in general but especially so in case of Copperplate.

There are two components to writing Copperplate well at a small scale i.e. x-height of around 3mm: The first is your materials - your nib, ink and paper need to work well together to produce good results. Some very flexible nibs are also very fine but are not easy to control when writing at a smaller size. A slightly stiffer nib would give you more control. I really like the vintage Gillott's 303 and 170 nibs for smaller writing.

The second, and harder to acquire, component is skill. Writing small requires a lot more skill than writing at a larger scale. There is only one way to develop that and it takes time.

You will find some good examples of letters written by W. A. Baird here: http://www.iampeth.com/artwork?&field_artist_tid=&page=2

- Salman

I am a beginner at Copperplate and Roundhand-style calligraphy. In my ongoing quest for elegant writing, I like to incorporate parts of what I am learning for the formal styles into my handwriting, and practice the letterforms in a comfortable, casual rhythm. It has improved the legibility of my notes, letter and journal writing and introduced a mindfulness that was not there before. timing my writing with my breathing and simply enjoying the letterforms leads to more elegant script, even if not calligraphy. Eventually I will be up to the task of a longer, more formal work in Copperplate style, but this is a place to start, what I can do now to produce an enjoyably readable letter. And of course I can go to town on the envelope address. :)

What I am doing is not strictly what you are asking about, but it might be a lower hanging fruit and a place to start with the skills you have now.

It sounds like you are asking about writing Copperplate on a small scale. It is much more difficult to write well at a smaller scale in general but especially so in case of Copperplate.

There are two components to writing Copperplate well at a small scale i.e. x-height of around 3mm: The first is your materials - your nib, ink and paper need to work well together to produce good results. Some very flexible nibs are also very fine but are not easy to control when writing at a smaller size. A slightly stiffer nib would give you more control. I really like the vintage Gillott's 303 and 170 nibs for smaller writing.

The second, and harder to acquire, component is skill. Writing small requires a lot more skill than writing at a larger scale. There is only one way to develop that and it takes time.

You will find some good examples of letters written by W. A. Baird here: http://www.iampeth.com/artwork?&field_artist_tid=&page=2

- Salman

Will definitely check out those nibs. W.A. Baird has been helpful in the past. Thanks for all your help!

Edited by MidnightInk

I am a beginner at Copperplate and Roundhand-style calligraphy. In my ongoing quest for elegant writing, I like to incorporate parts of what I am learning for the formal styles into my handwriting, and practice the letterforms in a comfortable, casual rhythm. It has improved the legibility of my notes, letter and journal writing and introduced a mindfulness that was not there before. timing my writing with my breathing and simply enjoying the letterforms leads to more elegant script, even if not calligraphy. Eventually I will be up to the task of a longer, more formal work in Copperplate style, but this is a place to start, what I can do now to produce an enjoyably readable letter. And of course I can go to town on the envelope address. :)

What I am doing is not strictly what you are asking about, but it might be a lower hanging fruit and a place to start with the skills you have now.

. Really appreciate your response. Thanks!

Vintage Gillott's nibs are getting harder, and more expensive, to find. I just mentioned them as I use them but there are other options.

Zebra G nibs are also very good in the 'not uncontrollably flexy' category. Brause 66EF is quite flexible but is not that difficult to control. Hunt 22 is also a good candidate. All of these nibs are in current production and easily available.

- Salman

Vintage Gillott's nibs are getting harder, and more expensive, to find. I just mentioned them as I use them but there are other options.

Zebra G nibs are also very good in the 'not uncontrollably flexy' category. Brause 66EF is quite flexible but is not that difficult to control. Hunt 22 is also a good candidate. All of these nibs are in current production and easily available.

- Salman

Yeah, I agree with what you said about the 66EF, definitely my favorite nib I've tested so far. On www.paperandinkarts.com to check out the other ones now!

Edited by MidnightInk

• 3 weeks later...

With a suitable nib (e.g., an Esty 355, 354 or 356, or a Gillott 170) you can write down to very small x-heights. It does require concentration and a very light touch. If you're thinking about letter-length writing, then you should take your time and rest in between.

This is roundhand at about 1mm x-height (far from perfect, of course), probably done with a 355 IIRC.

12330816243_0a4bcb4365_b.jpg

This is the whole line:

12331110114_7256b4b186_k.jpg

Spencerian is also doable this small:

11085572236_5dacedf8c7_k.jpg

And you can even do italic, provided you have a small enough nib:

11314098346_067a8d0ac8_k.jpg

Cheers,

Martín