Looking Ahead

DrCodfish

I would love to pick up some of the m620 city series. I got a mis-described "Berlin" from ebay and its a great pen. Just not convinced the high prices represent value for money.

Ditto the 1931/35 re-released Pens of our time series.

I live in hope! :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbs

• Mulrich

• Raif79

• inkstainedruth

What I <want> to buy and what funds will permit are two very different matters; but what I want is surely a (real) vintage lizard 100 or 100N. Let's see what actually transpires...

None. I saved up, bought the Toledo I wanted and it makes no sense to keep buying pens that don't suit me as well.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

For me, none of the rumored offerings for the coming year have me salivating. Now if they pull a rabbit out of the hat and offer a M600 tortoise, I will be at the front of the line. I am attracted to pens which made their debut in the past:

The perennial top dweller on my 'list' is a 400n tortoise. Three of these gems crossed my path last year and all three were more expensive (way more expensive) than I thought they should be. Maybe I have miscalculated the value? So I may need to loosen the purse strings more than I thought or perhaps I need to lower my sights for a black or other colored model, did they come in green?

I got a 400 red stripe last year so that filled a hole, ... sort of. I could be convinced to purchase a M600 red stripe for the right price. Others ion the list are:

• A new model 101n in that greenish tortoise, and possibly;
  • A new model 101n red tortoise, the one which came out last year with red cap and turning nob. I am on the fence about this pen because what I would really like to have is vintage tortoise 101 or 101n. I rationalize that if I cave for the 2015 edition I'll be spending money which could take me a fair way toward one of these beautiful vintage gems.

There other pens (notably some classic Parkers) which I would like to add to the collection, but that's a post for another forum.

Edited by DrCodfish

The 805 vibrant blue is probably going to join my collection, it looks stunning and I haven't got anything else quite like that.

Still waiting for a killer deal on a Stresemann .... It's close, but can't quite justify it yet.

Not sure about the 205 Aquamarine, depends on what it looks like and how big the vets bills are (as, of course, do the others).

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Well the M800 Grand Place just got bumped up there. I was going to cool it on buying multiple vintage Pelikans and focus on buying a green/black M400 or M600. Best laid plans...

Not planning any new acquisitions...but I do have the celluloid in hand and I'm ready to send my M805 black off to Shawn Newton for the new binde treatment, and I will be sending my M300 to Mike Masayuma for a little bit of nib tuning.

Still waiting for a killer deal on a Stresemann .... It's close, but can't quite justify it yet.

What would be your killer deal?

The €264 that some people were able to get from Amazon.de ..... It hasn't quite returned!

But expensive investigations on the horse today revealed he needs expensive treatment, so probably wouldn't be able to go for it yet. However, you do have to grab bargains when they appear so I'm not ruling it out :)

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I found the Stresemann on amazon.co.uk for GBP 228.06 ($350 USD); not quite as good as €264 ($285 USD) but still pretty cheap. Prices have gone up since but this gives you another place to check.

I found the Stresemann on amazon.co.uk for GBP 228.06 ($350 USD); not quite as good as €264 ($285 USD) but still pretty cheap. Prices have gone up since but this gives you another place to check.

Thanks, another place to monitor! What nib size did you get on yours and how do you find it? The best deals seem to be on broad nibs, which I don't object to, especially if they're on the stubby side!

No commitments yet, but there will be struggles resisting the M805 Vibrant Blue and the M800 Grand Place. Of course, if I get one I'll be in trouble. If I get both, my wife might have me committed! :unsure:

And then, having been completely blind-sided by the M800 Grand Place, I keep looking over my shoulder for the next temptation. :ninja:

David

It should be a fine nib but it won't arrive until Saturday (I never fully trust a vendor the first time I use them); my handwriting doesn't mesh well with a nib bigger than a medium. I was actually looking at a Stresemann on the German Amazon site but they didn't offer US shipping so I decided to check out Amazon UK. The German site was in German, which I don't speak, and I figured the UK site would be in English so I gave it a try. It could be possible to find better deals from other countries (Amazon had a rudimentary translation for the German site so they probably have something similar for other languages). The USD is strong now which helps on the currency conversion and being able to ignore VAT is great.

I'm not sure if I would have bought this pen had I known about the Grand Palace. Hard to justify another M800 series pen (the Stresemann will be #4 and two felt like enough) but I'm tempted by the GP. I actually planned on trying non-Pelikan brands this year, Nakaya or Conid, but that may have to wait if I decide on the GP.

Allow me to enable you...get the blue striped M400 (while I have the M405, I'd assume the blue to be the same hues). It is gorgeous and much more dynamic in real life. I had no idea it sparkled and had depth within the blue strands. Mesmerizing to look at in the sunlight...

Well, unless you have an inside line on the winning Powerball numbers, there's not a whole lot of enabling that you can do. My budget just doesn't allow it for the time being. Sigh.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 4 weeks later...

More 100N/101N regulars and Tortoises... Going to have a chance to nab a later 100N Export with a EF nib (in fine to great condition going by the pics) for relatively cheap, would be a great complement to the 101N Tortoise that I already have.

Other than that, need to get more of those later model piston seals, find flexible EF nibs for the pens I already have etc. More pens in better shape (users and safe queens).

I have found the 100N to be the ideal size pen for me and it just looks and feels right. Weird... plenty of similar sized birds and other pens out there but... the 100N just looks and feels the part. :)

More 100N/101N regulars and Tortoises... Going to have a chance to nab a later 100N Export with a EF nib (in fine to great condition going by the pics) for relatively cheap, would be a great complement to the 101N Tortoise that I already have.

Other than that, need to get more of those later model piston seals, find flexible EF nibs for the pens I already have etc. More pens in better shape (users and safe queens).

I have found the 100N to be the ideal size pen for me and it just looks and feels right. Weird... plenty of similar sized birds and other pens out there but... the 100N just looks and feels the part. :)

That's funny. I almost thought I wrote this post until I saw that you wrote it. I've been using my 100n more than any of the Pelikans I own. It just feels right in my hand.