If You Own An Expensive Pen, Do You Avoid Using It In Public Places In Fear Of People Stealing It?

cirrostratus

As many have noted, a lot of people don't even notice my ountain pens. Also, as mentioned, my phone cost more than any pens I have. I carry a Fireable Kaweco Lilliput in my pocket at all times, but I don't lend it out. Occasionally someone will take note and say they haven't seen a fountain pen in years.

Sometimes I carry my other pens as well. The only pens that stay on my desk are the Bordeaux Montblancs. Not because I am afraid of theft or loss. but rather because I have heard there is not a lot of Bordeaux "precious resin" remaining and I am more afraid of dropping one somewhere and then not being able to get it repaired.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• dogpoet

• FOUR X FOUR

• Icywolfe

As others have said I don't worry but treat it as I would my wallet. I have some beautiful and expensive pens (relatively speaking, within my economic strata) that I enjoy using as much as possible. The reaction from others is usually indifference.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Do I avoid using expensive pens in public, for fear of them being stolen?

In a word? No.

Most people don't recognise them as being anything significantly special enough to steal, so I'm really in no danger of having them nicked.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

yup. i'm a bit weary when it comes to my expensive pens. not that i fear of loosing them. but for fear of damaging them. i would only bring them out to workplace. i certainly wouldn't travel with them.

Edited by rudyhou

-rudy-

Lmao... i do the same thing!!

Keys, phone, wallet, pen, watch....

Keys, phone, wallet, pen, Fitbit ... :)

I don't worry about taking my pens out because I'm either using them or they're in my bag/purse.

I'm also more careful about keeping my pen sleeves in a more secure (zippered) section of my bag/purse.

There was one time when I placed the pen sleeve in a chest-level pocket of my parka and it fell out of the pocket while I was leaning over into the car to put something into the car. My fault for not zipping up the pocket. It landed on the ground outside the car. Good thing I noticed before driving away.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Never worry about it. As many have stated, it's a pen, no one except another fountain pen enthusiast would know what it's worth.

When you come back..please let us know..if any of the answers satisfied your curiosity.

What do you do re your question.Q

And..Welcome.....enjoy your time here

Fred

If any of the answers satisfied my curiosity? Of course they did!

When I first started the thread, I checked back something like 2 days later, I read all the responses then and I said "OK, so most people aren't that worried, but there's a very small handful of people who had bad experiences so maybe I should be a little careful. Not just with theft but also with dropping it, losing it, or having it taken away because people mistake it as a cheap, disposable pen."

But I checked again and apparently the thread just kept going and going and going. It's a good thing I checked! Just now I finished reading everything. Needless to say that all the answers were great. :) I've also asked some other questions on on this forum and the quality of the answers always exceeded my expectations. You guys should be proud of being part of and contributing to this online community.

Pens are always in my pocket or bag. I never put a pen down, so little chance of leaving it behind. I NEVER let anyone use my pens. So I have no problem using my pens in public. They range in price from $50 to $600.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

• 3 weeks later...

Never worry about it. As many have stated, it's a pen, no one except another fountain pen enthusiast would know what it's worth.

And do you think that no fountain pen enthusiast has ever stolen a fountain pen?

Also, if it's got a gold nib, or looks expensive, an ordinary thief out looking to snatch a gold chain, or similar expensive item, might well decide that a fountain pen in someone's hand is even easier to snatch than a necklace.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

...dropping it, losing it, or having it taken away because people mistake it as a cheap, disposable pen.

I think these are the real threats.

And do you think that no fountain pen enthusiast has ever stolen a fountain pen?

Of course, but the odds of running into one are rather slim and a dishonest one, even slimmer.

Edited by Manalto

James

Also, if it's got a gold nib, or looks expensive, an ordinary thief out looking to snatch a gold chain, or similar expensive item, might well decide that a fountain pen in someone's hand is even easier to snatch than a necklace.

I am glad that I don't live on the same planet as you do... I am obviously too trusting. I have had things stolen from me, but never when I was present. If I worried about people trying to steal the pen out of my hand for the gold plated fittings I would be worried about being robbed at gunpoint. And if I worried about that I would never leave the house.

I carry two MBs to school, an act that many people in here called "foolish," but I actually lock my pens away in my backpack (a lock with a key!). Of course, it's inconvenient, but that's the only way to use my beautiful pens without having them stolen. I actually got my money stolen from my backpack just two months ago at school.

William

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

I am glad that I don't live on the same planet as you do

That's a silly statement, of course we're on the same planet. Feel free to think you're in some special place where thieves can't get near you though.

... I am obviously too trusting. I have had things stolen from me, but never when I was present. If I worried about people trying to steal the pen out of my hand for the gold plated fittings I would be worried about being robbed at gunpoint. And if I worried about that I would never leave the house.

So is it that you don't believe that people get robbed at gunpoint or that you believe that it can't possibly happen to you?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

No ! I also own an expensive pistol.

Blessed are they who "put out the trash" !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Every time i use either of my pens in public people are just in awe for the fact its a fountain pen.

Fear of being stolen...? Yes... i went to vegas recently and i took one of my cheaper pens (metropolitan) just in case.

As its been mentioned before, most people have no clue on the pricing, not even other pen enthusiasts unless they are interested in that same pen.

For example, i do not know how much a waterman or omas or visconti pen may be...

What an interesting question. I've not read through all the pages here, so my post will likely be a repeat of some others, but here goes.

Everyone who has noticed or used my fountain pens are amazed they are still made, or want to know what this unusual writing stick is. I don't know any fountain pen fans other than my nine year old granddaughter who loves other pens as well. Therefore, I don't think it's likely I'll run into anyone who knows enough about FPs to be interested in stealing them. But stranger things have happened, I'm sure, so your question is a reasonable one.

I don't own any very expensive pens, and I don't count myself a collector, just someone who's dabbling in a new hobby. I have about 14 pens in all counting some real cheapies. My two most expensive pens are a Cross Botanica that I replaced at $75 and my new Platinum 3776 that I bought for $73, which I count as "expensive" for someone like me. I would be upset if any of my pens were stolen, but that wouldn't keep me from carrying one of them in my purse. I'm more wary of losing or damaging them. (Although I've seldom lost anything, recently I lost TWO pens from my purse while out running errands. Still mystified as to how that happened.) That said, my replacement Botanica is in my purse now. I'm just trying to be more careful to be sure it's where it should be. One of my Metros is in my purse as well.

My thought is to be reasonably careful, but if you are too afraid to use something the way you'd really like to use it, it almost might as well still be in the store. I'm going to enjoy my pens! I routinely wear jewelry (wedding rings and other) that cost much more than the pens, and has great sentimental value as well. Again, I want to enjoy it. I'm willing to risk the slight chance something bad will happen to it. (But I AM being more observant since my recent pen mishap!)

Everyone who has noticed or used my fountain pens are amazed they are still made, or want to know what this unusual writing stick is. I don't know any fountain pen fans other than my nine year old granddaughter who loves other pens as well. Therefore, I don't think it's likely I'll run into anyone who knows enough about FPs to be interested in stealing them. But stranger things have happened, I'm sure, so your question is a reasonable one.

Opportunistic thieves don't need to know anything about pens to recognise prestige brands, sadly. This is an area where Montblanc's aggressive marketing could cause a problem. On the other hand (as you say) apart from bling-smeared flashy (and cheap) Chinese pens, stuff that doesn't have a snowflake on its cap should be a lot safer.

• 1 month later...

Ah, I have thought about this for years. My conundrum is a 149 that I bought many years ago. The great thing about it is it's a style icon - like the name implies, it's a 'masterpiece'. The downside is everyone knows it's valuable, whether pen folk or not. It's kept me from using it at work. This is slightly foolish as it's a massive waste of money if it sits in a drawer.

However, most other pens, no matter how valuable, are unknown to the public and this problem is solved. This is one of the reasons I'm after a M1000.

To be clear, it's not my coworkers I worry about: the people I work with wouldn't steal anyone, let alone a colleague. At least, that's what I'm determined to believe. But overnight cleaners, visitors, etc.. Then, as mentioned, there's always those who may cause damage to it through carelessness brought on by ignorance ("all pens are disposable").

Finally, in many ways, I have less chance of loosing a pen than anyone else at my office. Yes, I'm more careful than those who just use the stock rollerballs but I'm also 'famous' for the pen. No one else uses a fountain pen and I have used one everyday since I started 10+ years ago. If anyone found any fountain pen in the office, they'd assume it was mine and bring it to me. I'd say most FPNers are in a similar category.