The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Gold Flakes In Hooded Nibs

j. herbin hooded nibs lamy 2000

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jcreilley

jcreilley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 23:02

Hello,

So I have a bottle of Emerald of Chivor, and a Lamy 2000. I'd love to be able to put my best ink in my best pen, but this question has been keeping me from committing: is it a good idea to put inks with gold flakes/glitter/what have you into a pen with a hooded/semi-hooded nib? I can see it either being inconsequential, or leading to stoppage and a long cleaning session. I also have a couple Hero 616's that I've never put the ink into for the same reasons. Does anybody have some experience with this?

Thanks,

jcreilley

Sponsored Content

#2 Buzz_130

Buzz_130

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:25

I only use inks with the gold flakes in pens that I can completely disassemble and clean. I can't imagine the time and effort cleaning out my Lamy 2k or Parker "51" when I can pull apart a Parker 45 or Esterbrook J in seconds to clean the entire pen. I enjoy writing far more than I enjoy cleaning pens, so I still elect to use the right tool for the right job.

Buzz

#3 jcreilley

jcreilley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:17

I only use inks with the gold flakes in pens that I can completely disassemble and clean. I can't imagine the time and effort cleaning out my Lamy 2k or Parker "51" when I can pull apart a Parker 45 or Esterbrook J in seconds to clean the entire pen. I enjoy writing far more than I enjoy cleaning pens, so I still elect to use the right tool for the right job.

Buzz

I know what you mean. My usual Chivor pen is a Jinhao 159, and I still have gold flake around the plunger in its converter after most cleanings, it usually takes a point-blank blast from a syringe to clear it out! I'm not too concerned with cleaning, sometimes it's a nice moment of zen during the day, but rather with the actual feed of the pen getting mucked up during writing.

#4 Abner C. Kemp

Abner C. Kemp

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2015 - 00:00

You can remove all the parts from a Lamy 2000 with a bit of effort and it's quite easy to remove the nib and feed for cleaning so you should be fine. The real key is to make sure you are cleaning the pen frequently. 

#5 jcreilley

jcreilley

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:55

Well, that's good to hear! Regular cleaning's no big deal for me, so I'll go ahead and give it a shot!

#6 PS104

PS104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:54

If I want gold I'll join Fred C Dobbs and find a gold mine

#7 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:25

You can use a USC to clean those flakes out.

#Nope

#8 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2015 - 14:44

You can use a USC to clean those flakes out.

If you really want them out… I have had four different Shimmertastics in a Faber-Castell 53 SF for Yule, and now that I filled with the booring Koh-i-Noor Document Black it came out fancy and glittery! That was a nice surprise, though it seems like it is almost completely washed out now, with the second fill. So, I'm sure that the glitter washes out from most pens, with more ink!

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: j. herbin, hooded nibs, lamy 2000

Sponsored Content

|