Question Regarding Esterbrook Deluxes, Sm's & Lk's....

jdllizard

I have one black Estie Deluxe LK (but the section is a bit loose, I'll finish that repair, it's an easy fix), and 3 Estie Deluxe SM's. All pens are lever fill, the SM's are all double jewel with no chipped or broken jewels, and in restored condition ready to write. The SM's I've got are a black, a burgundy with matching pencil (sadly no box though), and an olive green colored one. The burgundy and olive colored ones both have dark red jewels, while the black one has black jewels. The burgundy and olive ones both have snap on caps, and the black one is a threaded on cap, as is the black LK. All of these pens were bought as part of a larger group, or lot of pens bought for something else in the group/lot, so I just tossed them aside until I needed a project and one by one they eventually all got restored.

So now I'm wondering if these are as popular with certain Estie collectors as some of the other Esties? I've spent most of my short time in this hobby focusing on J family pens, transitionals, and Dollar pens, so I've never paid much attention to these. They seem like nice pens, but I have no idea of value, if there's any at all.

I've tried to research going prices but there just aren't many comps out there that I can find for some reason.

So are there collectors for these later model Estie lever fillers? And if so what sort of price range do they bring?

Here are some pics I borrowed from the interwebs that show identical Estie SM's to the ones I have, including the pen & pencil set.

post-117098-0-59676100-1451125354_thumb.jpg

post-117098-0-84072800-1451125450_thumb.jpg

post-117098-0-13933500-1451125491_thumb.jpg

post-117098-0-24934800-1451125525_thumb.jpg

And here's a pic of an LK identical to mine.

post-117098-0-50452200-1451125716_thumb.jpg

*Pics borrowed from Esterbrook.net*

(I Hope that's ok)

Edited by jdllizard

John L

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jdllizard

• gweimer1

• Rach31

• corgicoupe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love my Deluxe LK. These are my second favorite Esterbrook model. I have two black ones - one is mine, and the other I just restored and have up for sale (until then, it's in my pocket). I'm sure I'll branch into the SM series this year. I'd say the LK would be on the same average price range as a nice J.

I just missed on a nice gray pen/pencil LK set about a month ago.

I would most certainly place a premium on SMs and LKs over standard J pens. These metal capped pens share the Renew Point system that makes Esterbrooks popular, they were the top of the line, they are less common, and they share a family resemblance that allows them to fit in with a J-centric collection. Functionally, the metal caps are quite well made, and add a nice bit of heft. These pens also came in some nicely subdued colors, which contrast nicely with the bright youth-oriented, and the pastel hued purse pens. A full color spread of these would be quite stunning, I think.

Be aware of the SM chipped jewels and the LK posting scars - keep your eyes open to these issues when hunting. That there aren't very many comps tells me that they are not so easy to find. That's a good thing. What is ratio of Js to SMs and LKs?

Un-plugged the Christmas lights and loaded up the recycle bin. Maybe I should toss a 9314B into my Sand SM, ink it up, and address some Thank You notes. I have much to be thankful for.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

I paid $20-25 for each of my LKs. I bought them within the last year. (I have two.)

Did you buy them restored, or in "as found condition"?

John L

GW...you didn't mention a dollar amount. I'm not familiar with this model and would like to know.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I paid $20 for each of mine. I just restored one, and my keeper just seems to be perfect...for now. I got mine by looking for pens that weren't well described, and the first was out of curiosity. Pens listed accurately are likely around that $30 mark.

The gray set I missed went for $60(?)

I paid $20 for each of mine. I just restored one, and my keeper just seems to be perfect...for now. I got mine by looking for pens that weren't well described, and the first was out of curiosity. Pens listed accurately are likely around that $30 mark.The gray set I missed went for $60(?)

Thanks G, you've been a big enabl...., err, I mean a very helpful person of knowledge ever since my first days here!

Happy New Year! :-)

John L

Did you buy them restored, or in "as found condition"?

They were in working order, both had sacs replaced but only one has a faint cap ink line on the barrel (willow green LK) the other is darker. I have the ones with metal ends, no fancy jewels.

Edited by Rach31