Absolute Grail Pen... Unsure On What To Do.

thygreyt

I agree as well. Trying different inks is a hobby in it of itself. Very addictive ✒️

and nib variants......and papers.....and pen pouches......and pen rests......and pen boxes.......what a hobby eh !!!!!! :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thygreyt

• 4lex

• Pen Nut

• A1979

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally got the ink..! i've been writing with the ink on my 70s 149... Since that pen has some flex its actually interesting to use this ink...

The ink? Not sure i love it. Its certainly interesting and has amazing shading properties. But the color...? Not sure i love it. I'd like it to be more red than it is.

I will ink the pen and use it soon... Maybe the thank you letter is just the perfect ocasion. I'll keep this thread updated as things evolve.

Now i'm thinking on buying POA 2013: Ludovico Sforza as to have the pair... The patron and the great character. Not sure how do i explain the expenditure to myself...lol

I finally got the ink..! i've been writing with the ink on my 70s 149... Since that pen has some flex its actually interesting to use this ink...

The ink? Not sure i love it. Its certainly interesting and has amazing shading properties. But the color...? Not sure i love it. I'd like it to be more red than it is.

I will ink the pen and use it soon... Maybe the thank you letter is just the perfect ocasion. I'll keep this thread updated as things evolve.

Now i'm thinking on buying POA 2013: Ludovico Sforza as to have the pair... The patron and the great character. Not sure how do i explain the expenditure to myself...lol

I am no expert on Montblanc or fountain pens, I only have experience of Montblanc M, Starwalker, Legrand and Classic, but.... don't you want to consider some other brands? Top line Lamy, Sailor, Pilot or Pelikan are at least as good (IMO even better) as Montblanc, and you can get double the pens with the same budget.

Of course, the downside is that you don't get the white star. Of course if you plan to resell them (eventually), MB is a good choice. It is like a Rolex of the FP world and will hold the value.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I am no expert on Montblanc or fountain pens, I only have experience of Montblanc M, Starwalker, Legrand and Classic, but.... don't you want to consider some other brands? Top line Lamy, Sailor, Pilot or Pelikan are at least as good (IMO even better) as Montblanc, and you can get double the pens with the same budget.

Of course, the downside is that you don't get the white star. Of course if you plan to resell them (eventually), MB is a good choice. It is like a Rolex of the FP world and will hold the value.

Yes! lol, i like other brands too... My "Daily grail" is a Caran d'Ache, and part of my wishlist includes graf von faber castell, Omas, Pelikan, etc and other MB collectible pens...

The ludovico is on the wishlist... But nowhere near the top.

Well if you are going to spend good money for something high end, might as well go for a brand that is very well recognized the world over. It becomes better value in the long run. Would you rather spend $9000 on a Rolex or a Tag Heuer? I bet 15 years later the $9K you spent on the Rolex will be worth a lot more than the Tag. The same is true with Montblanc and brand X.

Well if you are going to spend good money for something high end, might as well go for a brand that is very well recognized the world over. It becomes better value in the long run. Would you rather spend $9000 on a Rolex or a Tag Heuer? I bet 15 years later the $9K you spent on the Rolex will be worth a lot more than the Tag. The same is true with Montblanc and brand X.

Of course, I completely agree. I think Montblanc will always hold the price. People don't buy Montblanc DESPITE it being an expensive pen. They buy it BECAUSE it is expensive. Montblanc is well aware of this, thats why they don't allow any discounts. It really depends, how important this is to you.

As far as watches go, no offence meant to all the Rolex lovers here, but it is just to vulgar for me. Give me Eberhard over Rolex any day.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Ink pen with your favourite colour and use it to write the most wonderful thank you letter to your parents for everything they have done for you...probably the least of which was getting you this thoughtful gift. But which this gift is the perfect emblem of.

And think of them every single time you use it.

Ink pen with your favourite colour and use it to write the most wonderful thank you letter to your parents for everything they have done for you...probably the least of which was getting you this thoughtful gift. But which this gift is the perfect emblem of.

And think of them every single time you use it.

Or even better, sell it and have fun in Las Vegas

• 2 weeks later...

For the last few days i've been using the pen on Montblanc Blue hour ink.

I'm a guy who likes blues... I think the shade fits the pen.

The writing is great, but the grip is uncomfortable to be honest... i mean, the grip section is ok, but the rest of the body on the hand feels a bit uncomfy.

this is the pen in its house... Thats part of my small mb collection along with my CdA

12832443_10207662550376667_9121114705446

I've kept on writing with it... it still is not the most comfortable pen in the hand... the twain and ivanhoe feel better... BUT, the writing is trully wonderful.

it ALMOST makes you forget about the anoyances of the pen.

The pen is mostly a "looker" than a writer. In my opinion is was not designed to be a pen to use for long writing sessions.

Yesterday for example, i wrote for about 4 hours.

Cliffnotes: Beautiful pen.

superb nib.

writing experience? I rather use the twain. less than 1/3 of the price, feels great too.

• 1 month later...

For the last few days i've been using the pen on Montblanc Blue hour ink.

I'm a guy who likes blues... I think the shade fits the pen.

The writing is great, but the grip is uncomfortable to be honest... i mean, the grip section is ok, but the rest of the body on the hand feels a bit uncomfy.

this is the pen in its house... Thats part of my small mb collection along with my CdA

12832443_10207662550376667_9121114705446

Interesting collection. Four great pens on the right, four ostentatious things on the left.

Take that puppy out into the world. Put it in your shirt pocket. If youre retired get some tee shirts with pockets["

Take that puppy out into the world. Put it in your shirt pocket. If youre retired get some tee shirts with pockets["

Retired?? Not just yet. I'm in my late 20s.

As for the comment above, I like the small collection... each pen has its own story.

The Twain set was due to the achievement of my daughters 50/50 custody.

My CDA is my daily work pen, and all others have been gifts...

The 144 is from 80s. It was my grandma's for 30 years. She and I used to write letters to each other. She now has cancer and wanted to gift me the pen.

The 149 is from 70s, it was my uncle's... He gifted it to me upon graduation. When I told him I wrote often and lots to my daughter he said: at least use a proper tool.

The 145 was a gift from work for doing good and successfully.

And the Leonardo, well.. That's the reason for the thread. A gift from my parents... Years in the making.