Absolute Grail Pen... Unsure On What To Do.

thygreyt

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thygreyt

• 4lex

• Pen Nut

• A1979

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I learned a valuable lesson from my brother in law, although he didn't realize he was teaching me.

Many years ago he bought a very collectible revolver. He only took it out of the box to admire it a few times.

Then someone broke into his house and stole the gun along with a lot of other things.

The burglar just saw a gun he could use.

Of all the things that he lost, the gun was the most painful. His regret was that he had never even fired the gun.

My take-away? It is better to put your tools to use and enjoy them, than to spend years regretting lost opportunities.

If it is a tool, use it.

If it is only art, display it.

Whatever you decide, don't leave it in the box on a shelf.

I bet I know who he wished he would have fired it at.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

I bet I know who he wished he would have fired it at.

Bob

LOL

Very True!

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Congratulations on a unique and special pen. I think the fact it was so thoughtful of your parents is what makes it truly special.

No special care is really needed. the inside is all plastic and metal, there is nothing to rot away. Eventually the piston may need lubrication, but probably not even every few years unless you are using it heavily.

I would use the pen. Given how you acquired it, it is unlikely to be sold so you might as well use it. Yes, there is value in the pen, but more of the value should come from the association with your parents and Christmas.

The ink is great if you like red/orange. I bought many bottles when it was out and it is my favorite ink. I usually have it in at least one pen. But something like Oyster grey from MB would also look nice. There are lots of ink reviews here so be sure to spend some time looking at color splotches.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Use it, enjoy it and secure it as you would any other expensive tool. The pride of my MB stash is a Carnegie with an OB nib. Do I write with it regularly? Yes. Do I carry it outside the house for the "free pen" contingent to help themselves? No. Has it performed flawlessly for years? Absolutely.

You know, your six weeks is ticking if you want to investigate a different nib size. (Enabler)

I don't take many of my FP's outside with me, but I still write with most of them.

I recently managed to find myself some Leonardo Da Vinci Red Chalk ink. It's not an easy ink to find though.

Yes, there is value in the pen, but more of the value should come from the association with your parents and Christmas.

This.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Thanks guys.... Now i just need a special occasion to use the pen.

As for the pen's ink, i called the store that delivered it to my parents... spoke to the manager and he placed the request for the ink... several bottles.

Will also try buying some ink overseas... if any of you guys have any that you want to sell, please contact me.

i keep on looking at the pictures.. such a wonderful pen... there is such a convolution of thoughts and memories everytime i see it. I love it.

I have my new grail pen... i dont think i'll ever get anything better... but it wont be the last pen i get. I need just 1 more... lol

I agree, the great character is your dad :)

And I agree, definitely ink it. I used to keep all my low LE number Montblancs boxed then one day woke up and thought life's too short. Go for it :)

Definitely ink it. A pen is made for writing, it's a tool, no matter its material or attributes.

I use all my pens, be it Montblanc limited editions or Lamy Safaris. I even take them outside with me.

There is so much more about a pen than just letting it sit in a safe or in a drawer. Wait for a special occasion and use it. You will start to write the history of your pen. Later, each time you will pick it up, you will remember the special occasions you used it for and it will be more and more valuable to you.

Kind regards,

Sny

Thanks guys.... Now i just need a special occasion to use the pen.

Everyday of your life is a special occasion!

Your parents looked at you, and saw a special occasion.

Celebrate them with every stroke of their love you now hold in your hand.

Inked

That pen will MAKE every occasion you use it special. Why not keep a journal with it to begin? Use it to explore your wildest dreams. Then, when you're ready to turn one into reality, you can log the adventure.

That is a very beautiful pen! But it reminds me of what comes to mind when I think of buying a very expensive car; realizing that I don't have a garage worthy of it. I suggest you need a $2k suit to wear when, when you wear the pen. It deserves at least as much. Best wishes on your you blessing.

A thoughtful, generous gift from your parents, and you want to turn it into something useless ?

Take fitty pictures of the "grail pen" , in its pristine condition. Frame a collage for your wall. Make an album for your desk. Carry pictures in your wallet. Put the best photograph into a locket. Create a slide show on a flash drive. Then, you can view the beauty in its perfect state. Ink the pen. Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Lol, i WILL ink the pen... i was just unsure as it is a fancy fancy pen...

As to the comment for the 2k suit, i guess i need to buy a 2k suit! lmao.

Next related question: What ink would go with the open? I have already put in the request for red chalk, and will maybe buy MB toffee ink as its the closest... but what pther ink would match the pen?

Oyster Grey or Midnight Blue I think would suit the pen. A shade good for math equations and science notations

Hi Thygreyt!!

What a great gift from your Mom and Dad...this gift will be a memory for many years to come, as it should be. It's an awesome pen.

IMO...there is nothing sadder than an unused pen...regardless of price or scarcity. I would be using that pen everyday of my life, without a doubt. Everytime you look at it you'll be reminded that your parents put a ton of love into finding and purchasing that pen for you.

Please don't be afraid to use it or afraid that you'll lose it. While "stuff" sometimes happens, odds are that 50 years from now you'll still have this great pen and many fond memories.

Enjoy!!

A thoughtful, generous gift from your parents, and you want to turn it into something useless ?

Take fitty pictures of the "grail pen" , in its pristine condition. Frame a collage for your wall. Make an album for your desk. Carry pictures in your wallet. Put the best photograph into a locket. Create a slide show on a flash drive. Then, you can view the beauty in its perfect state. Ink the pen. Write with joy.

This is an amusing quote and reminds me that some of my favorite pictures of pens are macro shots of nibs after they have been inked/dipped.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!