Absolute Grail Pen... Unsure On What To Do.

thygreyt

My parents have followed my ramblings of fountain pens for a while now... (years...) So they decided to give me a great gift for christmas. An absolute surprise to me.

The ultimate Grail pen... in fact, the last fountain pen of the collection as sold by Mont Blanc, it was brought from a small boutique in Germany... No other store in the world had it.

Without further ado: i got a Mont Blanc Medium nib Da Vinci (Great Characters collection).

I've been trying to read as much as possible about the pen. Looking at it is just amazing. So many details, such crafted piece... but i can only wonder... What can i do with it?

I'm afraid to ink it. I want to write with it, at least sporadically. Ink it, use it, clean it and back to storage. So, what can i do with the pen? Is it such a collectors piece that its meant for shelves and dark drawers and conversations on forums, or can it actually be used?

Any ink recommendations? (if you can point me in the direction of the according special edition ink, please share the link)

I'll post pictures tomorrow, i want to take them with natural light.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thygreyt

• 4lex

• Pen Nut

• A1979

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would seem to be a shame to not let such a magnificent piece write, as that is what it was meant to do.

Maybe use it as a desk pen at home with the care it deserves. Ink it and enjoy it!!!

Edited by max dog

Thats my thought... plus, it being a piston filler, it would need fluid (ink or water) to lubricate or humectate the things inside... otherwise all parts just dry up and rot.

The manual says to "clean it every 3 months", and to take it to a MB store/ Boutique once a year.

The issue is that since its a collector's pen, its VERY expensive, and it was the LAST one (i'm very happy about the fact... makes it more valuable to me) i dont want to do anything that would diminish its value...

i just dont know... i've never had a pen like this one.

Use it! It is a pen after all.

I would think your parents expect you to write with it too and enjoy it.

It would be such a waste otherwise.

I.m.o. one should always use the pens you have.

Use it and enjoy it in good health.

Great story how you got your grail pen; I like the part that it was the last sold by Montblanc. Do you know which boutique n Germany it came from?

Try finding a nice ink and write on...

Usually the mechanics of modern Montblanc pens is not something you would have to worry about. Get a nice carrying case and you will be fine.

Cheers fro Germany

Michael

The story as they told it this morning:

"We wanted to gift you a pen that you'd never buy... Seeing as you love pens and writing so much, we wanted to get a unique pen. Since june we've been talking to different MB boutiques. The search started in Madrid, spain. Initially we wanted to get the MB John Lennon. But its bland, and a "donation pen"... sure its a limited edition, but...
In the end of the day, you (me) love the beatles and John lennon in particular (thats basically all i listen to... Beatles and lennon).

Seeing as you are an engineer we also though of the Da Vinci, but it just wasnt available anymore. Few months went buy and we payed a good sum for the Lennon... The payment was for MB to secure the pen and bring it from the location they had it to the store near us. In the way the also offered the Gandhi pen. Again, unique but it wasnt the Da Vinci.

A month ago we got a call that a small store in Germany had the Da Vinci. They didnt know it, and according to MB records, all were sold as none were in stock. When they found this one we got a call from the Madrid shop as we had left a "request". It was a no brainer, so we got the pen."

A great story i think. My father actually learned a lot from the MB people. He was talking about all the little various details. MB people even included a pair of MB jewelry gloves to handle the pen.

That's as far as i know. On monday i want to call the local sales rep and talk about the details of the pen (story behind it).

So far, im in love... with the pen, the story, and hopefully soon i'll love to write it.

My parents have followed my ramblings of fountain pens for a while now... (years...) So they decided to give me a great gift for christmas. An absolute surprise to me.

The ultimate Grail pen... in fact, the last fountain pen of the collection as sold by Mont Blanc, it was brought from a small boutique in Germany... No other store in the world had it.

Without further ado: i got a Mont Blanc Medium nib Da Vinci (Great Characters collection).

I've been trying to read as much as possible about the pen. Looking at it is just amazing. So many details, such crafted piece... but i can only wonder... What can i do with it?

I'm afraid to ink it. I want to write with it, at least sporadically. Ink it, use it, clean it and back to storage. So, what can i do with the pen? Is it such a collectors piece that its meant for shelves and dark drawers and conversations on forums, or can it actually be used?

Any ink recommendations? (if you can point me in the direction of the according special edition ink, please share the link)

I'll post pictures tomorrow, i want to take them with natural light.

Congratulation !! That is a beautiful pen.

A pen is made for writing.

Do you collect pens for investment purposes, or to enjoy them? Unless you envision selling it down the road, ink it up and savour it. I'm sure that's what your lovely parents would want you to do.

ETA: I was in the same position a few years ago, with a Pelikan 400nn that had never been inked. I thought about it, and realized the universe had saved the pen just for me, so I inked it up. I'm glad I did, I realized that I didn't like Pelikans so much. Someone else is enjoying it now, guilt-free I might add :D

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I learned a valuable lesson from my brother in law, although he didn't realize he was teaching me.

Many years ago he bought a very collectible revolver. He only took it out of the box to admire it a few times.

Then someone broke into his house and stole the gun along with a lot of other things.

The burglar just saw a gun he could use.

Of all the things that he lost, the gun was the most painful. His regret was that he had never even fired the gun.

My take-away? It is better to put your tools to use and enjoy them, than to spend years regretting lost opportunities.

If it is a tool, use it.

If it is only art, display it.

Whatever you decide, don't leave it in the box on a shelf.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Congratulations with your Da Vinci, a beautiful piece of craftmenship.

I suggest you use the matching Red Chalk ink (although it is hard to find, you may have some luck again)

Enjoy writing.

Visit our webstore www.appelboompennen.nl

We ship worldwide!

Congratulations! and a nice story to boot, do what makes you happy, and we're still waiting for the pics :P

the corresponding ink is hard to find :( but i've seen it on ebay a couple of times.

Use it! It's kind of creepy to keep things perfect or to "save them for future generations." In fact I get the chills just thinking about that gorgeous unused pen. So use it to save it from the worst fate that can befall a manmade object: not to be used!

And have a blast with it!

I know just how you feel. My first Alfa Romeo was like that. I kept it in the garage and only brought it out into the sun on weekends when the neighbors were cutting their lawns. I'd put on my Nomex, my crash helmet, my racing boots, put up the red velvet rope on the brass standards, put the top down and sit there for all to admire.

It was wondrous and we were the envy of all the lesser folk.

I know just how you feel. My first Alfa Romeo was like that. I kept it in the garage and only brought it out into the sun on weekends when the neighbors were cutting their lawns. I'd put on my Nomex, my crash helmet, my racing boots, put up the red velvet rope on the brass standards, put the top down and sit there for all to admire.

It was wondrous and we were the envy of all the lesser folk.

LOL

Congrats to you and your parents! Their determination is a wonderful role model to follow.

Speaking of role models, what would Leonardo da Vinci do with a marvellous pen in his hands? Given an instrument like that one can only be inspired to create.

If you can't get the matching Red Chalk ink and would like to coordinate with MB, any of their inks could be beautiful, given the neutral colour of the pen.

Enjoy it in the best of health!

Happiness is a real Montblanc...