The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Can't Unscrew New Mont Blanc

mont blanc meisterstuck tribute to the mont blanc

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 greysfanhp

greysfanhp

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 13:26

Hello all! 

I just received a Tribute to the Mont Blanc fountain pen for Christmas and the weirdest problem has arisen: I can't unscrew it to put the cartridge in. This is my first Mont Blanc, but certainly not my first fountain pen. I've tried unscrewing every part of the pen but nothing will budge. Am I doing something wrong or is the pen at fault?

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!

IMG_3450.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 thoppen

thoppen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 14:06

Is it a piston filler?

Best regards, Tim

#3 thoppen

thoppen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 14:10

I've just checked the Montblanc web site. It is in fact a cartridge filled fountain pen. Beats me!

Best regards, Tim

#4 thoppen

thoppen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 14:13

You could try running hot water over the threads.

Best regards, Tim

#5 greysfanhp

greysfanhp

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 14:38

I tried running hot water but I'll try again (maybe I didn't do it for long enough). Thanks for the reply.

#6 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 15:35

When you try to unscrew it, be sure to apply even preasure if you are holding your fingers over the threads.  A little uneven preasure can distort the threads just enough to make unscrewing impossible.

Edited by Charles Rice, 25 December 2015 - 15:37.

#7 fountainpenlady

fountainpenlady

Beware of lady wearing a hat, carrying fountain pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,601 posts
  • Location:Home of the largest Army Installation in the Free World!
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 16:01

Did any of the solutions work? It is a beauty!

Edited by fountainpenlady, 25 December 2015 - 16:02.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne.  :wub:

#8 greysfanhp

greysfanhp

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 16:04

Hadn't considered pressure, but no matter how I try to unscrew the barrel there's not even the smallest of budges. Is there anything else I can try between now and taking it to a shop...?

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 16:59

Maybe you need something to stop your finders slipping on the slippery metal grip? Try the effect of putting on rubber washing up gloves and see if that works

#10 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 17:04

I'd suggest a pair of rubber gloves.

Establish where the barrel connects to the section.  It looks like the metal threads are closest to where the pen should separate.  Make sure the pen's surface is dry.  With the rubber gloves, grip the barrel as close to the section as possible. 

Grip the section as close to where it should unscrew as possible.  Hold the section still & while firmly turning the barrel counter clockwise. 

Since the MB barrel is made up of several different components fitted (pressed? cemented?) together, please do not hold the barrel by its white resin body, but the threaded area.  And. easy does it.

This may work for this beautiful pen.  I often use rubber gloves when I want to change out screw-in nib units.  With the gloves you tend not to get slippage.  Every year I have to separate fly rod members in this way (though they are not threaded, but pressure fit).

Hope this helps.  Congrats on a beautiful pen!

Edited by tinta, 25 December 2015 - 17:38.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#11 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• 2,726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 17:41

BTW:  greysfanhp :W2FPN:

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#12 greysfanhp

greysfanhp

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 December 2015 - 17:51

Thanks a bunch Antique! Will give that a try!

#13 thoppen

thoppen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 13:25

And? Success?

Best regards, Tim

#14 greysfanhp

greysfanhp

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 18:46

No such luck. Taking it to a shop.

#15 fountainpenlady

fountainpenlady

• Member - Gold

• 1,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 22:12

No such luck. Taking it to a shop.

It is like having a Christmas present you are anxious to enjoy, but you can't get the wrapping off! More days of anticipation. Let us know how the mystery turns out and once you manage to have it where you can use it, how it feels to do so. Be Well.   :eureka:   :thumbup:   :happycloud9:

Edited by fountainpenlady, 26 December 2015 - 22:13.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne.  :wub:

#16 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 00:33

I had that happen with a Montegrappa once. Got shipped from cold and dry to hot and wet. Couldn't get it open, local jeweler had no luck. Finally sent it to the service center where they had the correct tools.

#17 mhosea

mhosea

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:47

Do we know exactly where this pen is supposed to open up? Like the 147 at the back? I know the OP said they couldn't unscrew anything, but I'd hate to be advising him how to torque the wrong joints harder.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

#18 rafapa

rafapa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:22

The following video shows how to unscrew it

The section ends at the beginning of the threads.

#19 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 13:03

Do we know exactly where this pen is supposed to open up? Like the 147 at the back? I know the OP said they couldn't unscrew anything, but I'd hate to be advising him how to torque the wrong joints harder.

It unscrews in the middle and only holds one cartridge inside. Not like the 147 that has a 'sleigh' inside the top that holds 2 cartridges.

If it was mine I would unscrew it without taking it to the boutique. Hold the section in the left hand, with a rubber glove on. Take the barrel in the right hand, with a rubber glove on, and twist the barrel against the section anti-clockwise very firmly.

#20 fountainpenlady

fountainpenlady

• Member - Gold

• 1,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 19:09

Also, someone responding to the video believe wrote they saw the same pen in a reputable Montblanc source and it was being used with a converter. May or may not be true, but may be worth looking into after figuring out how to open the pen to load.  :)

Edited by fountainpenlady, 27 December 2015 - 19:12.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mont blanc, meisterstuck, tribute to the mont blanc

Sponsored Content

|