The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Rotring Rapid Pro Safety Information?

rotring drop sleeve rotring600 rapid pro retractable sleeve

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 surikan12

surikan12

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2015 - 14:25

I frequently drop my mechanical pencils and my rotring 600 just died a few days ago from a severly bent sleeve.

Is the rotring rapid pro with the retractable sleeve safe against drops?

If not, could anyone please suggest a mechanical pencil that is heavy enough but safe against drops?

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2015 - 16:52

pocket friendly mechanical pencils my good sir
Rotring 800
Uni-ball shift
TWSBI precision with retractable sleeve
will be among the few pens
Tombow Zoom 505
Pentel Sharp Kerry

Edited by Algester, 22 December 2015 - 16:52.

#3 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,099 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2015 - 18:32

Any pencil with a sleeve sticking out is unsafe against dropping. With the sleeve retracted you still might get lead-breaks of course but the sleeve is safe then.

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#4 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 19:02

Hi,

I'm just wondering, but do you really need a pencil with a long, tubular tip? Some pencils have either shorter guide tubes, or conical ones such as the Pilot Airblanc, Pilot Symmetry, Pilot Dr. Grip G-Spec, or the Pilot DelFul.

No matter what pencil you get, if the tip is extended when you drop it and the pencil has a long, thin guide tube, regardless of whether it is retractable or not, the tube will get bent or damaged.

I would recommend staying away from drafting pencils if you have no need for the long guide tube at the tip. I would also recommend looking at Pilot's range of pencils to find one that may suit you. Of all the pencils I have used, Pilot's pencils intended for general writing tend to have more conical noses.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rotring, drop, sleeve, rotring600, rapid pro, retractable sleeve

Sponsored Content

|