The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ranga - The Big Orange Pen!

ranga 4c eyedropper jowo handmade indian ebonite

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 23:12

Please note, it was incorrect for EoC to air publicly the minor issue that occurred in ordering this pen. In doing so EoC has demonstrated a regrettable lack of character and has no doubt embarrassed Mr Kandan unnecessarily. 

The important thing is that this is a GREAT PEN!  EoC can thoroughly recommend this model and maker. If anyone is looking for their first Indian ebonite pen, then look no further. Mr Kandan is your man! :)

Sponsored Content

#22 mmg122

mmg122

Mary Garavaglia

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:10

EoC, I'm mystified by your comments.

You make quite a point about Kandan's mistake, choose to repeat it subsequently, and suddenly all is forgiven after one post by Kandan? If you felt so strongly about the refund, I don't understand why you didn't raise it directly with Kandan. As you pointed out, your English rectitude stopped you from asking. But somehow, that very same rectitude permitted you to bring it up subsequently in a public forum. More's the pity, because your lack of grace spoils a good review.

For the record, I have bought several pens from Kandan, all of them transported across continents. Two were refitted with different nibs for a very nominal charge. He has been utterly reliable, and has been nothing but a gentleman in his dealings.

BTW, the Ranga pen in question is excellent - I have three, and use them quite a bit. One of them has now become an eyedropper.

+1, Simius...if one feels one has been slighted by a retailer, the mechanism for rectifying the situation is in a private correspondence between you and the retailer not in a public forum where you risk slandering someone undeservedly. Saying that you think this should be mentioned to protect other international buyers...and subsequently saying a refund of shipping costs (which you have harped about on several posts) is not now necessary defies understanding.

ETA: This post was written before I saw the above post from EoC...you have restored my faith in you, my friend.

#23 Simius

Simius

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:23

Please note, it was incorrect for EoC to air publicly the minor issue that occurred in ordering this pen. In doing so EoC has demonstrated a regrettable lack of character and has no doubt embarrassed Mr Kandan unnecessarily. 

The important thing is that this is a GREAT PEN!  EoC can thoroughly recommend this model and maker. If anyone is looking for their first Indian ebonite pen, then look no further. Mr Kandan is your man! :)

Well played, EoC! Let's draw a line under this and get back to discussing pens. 'tis after all, the season. Happy holidays.

#24 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:48

Indeed it is.  Unfortunately this whole Indian pen thing has created something of a dilemma. We have these wonderful pens on the one hand, and we have Masuyama's fabulous grinds on the other.  Not enough funds to buy everything, aargh!

Oh well, there's always 2016. A whole year to figure it out.

#25 RwindleIII

RwindleIII

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2016 - 22:18

Thanks for the great review!

"A great man condemns others to explicate him." -Hegel

#26 ctt1wbw

ctt1wbw

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2016 - 23:21

This looks like a nice pen.  I really like the fact that it's clipless.

#27 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 23:34

Clipless or with a clip is optional.  Just ask Mr Kandan for your preferred option!

#28 Prithwijit

Prithwijit

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2016 - 16:20

Indeed it is.  Unfortunately this whole Indian pen thing has created something of a dilemma. We have these wonderful pens on the one hand, and we have Masuyama's fabulous grinds on the other.  Not enough funds to buy everything, aargh!

Oh well, there's always 2016. A whole year to figure it out.

Hi EoC,

In my personal opinion, this is more of an opportunity than a cause of dilemma. Today ASA / Ranga / Fosfor are readily retailing excellent handmade pens at mouth watering prices which are threaded and ready to accept the Jowo 12-56 nib unit family. This makes them excellent hosts for the nibs that Masuyama or other nibmeisters are producing. 

For instance, the FC Christoph music nib retails for $35. Combine it with a $60 ASA Azaadi or Nauka or their ilk and you have an amazing an unique pen for south of 4100. While I appreciate that this example does not specifically involve a nibmesiter tuned nib, but it very well illustrates the value proposition that the combination brings to the table for us consumers.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

#29 thepenhaul

thepenhaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2016 - 18:53

That orange is gorgeous! This is now on the wishlist!

Check out my new blog, thepenhaul.com

#30 JBat

JBat

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2016 - 19:37

Does EoC always speak of himself in the third person or am I missing something?

John

Fountain pen lover

#31 Tootles

Tootles

Donor Pen

• Away
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 20:02

That was the 2015 version of EoC.  It's now 2016...

#32 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:08

Does EoC always speak of himself in the third person or am I missing something?

ha ha ha

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ranga, 4c, eyedropper, jowo, handmade, indian, ebonite

Sponsored Content

|