How Do You Justify Writing With A Fountain Pen In The Digital Age?

Snoutmol

Of course writing instruments still have tons of irreplaceable uses: cards, notes, sketching, journaling, etc. But what about long essays or even books that ultimately have to end up on a computer anyway? I like writing drafts with a fountain pen, but sometimes for the sake of time it seems like I should give up and just write on a computer, where you can type fast, cut and paste text, and have dictionaries, thesauruses, and Google all a click away.

I agree that physical writing is time consuming compared to just jumping on the computer and knocking out a word document in half the time (depending upon one's typing speed/wpm). but for me, it's something that is personally gratifying about putting a physical writing instrument to a physical medium.

I do not even attempt to justify my archaic methods of recording thoughts, ideas, notes, etc. It's what feels natural to me. I have a draw full of notebooks, and other writing material and a small ikea styled storage container of pens, pencils and writing tools.

they may laugh at us now but when the sun goes crazy and wipes out all electronics via an EMP... we will have the last laugh lol.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcwaites

• inkstainedruth

• Manalto

• Bookman

I don't think there needs to be any justification.

My fountain pens are mostly used for journalling where it's not recorded (my pads are shredded, and never stored) to help me learn topics, better understand issues, or just a plain old rant about something/someone that's niggling me. I enjoy the feeling of writing with them where each pen has a different feel, a different 'personality'.

Nothing digital can replace that.

You can justify with a fountain pen, the medieval scribes used to do it, but it takes care and planning.

Beware - Warped Australian sense of humour may be involved...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

• 1 month later...
I find that writing it down first helps me create points that I want to say in an essay or paper. The ideas just flow easier when you're using a pen and paper because it's slower so it gives you more time to think and you can close your laptop, put your phone on silent mode, and just focus on what you're writing, no distractions. Then, I combine those ideas and points in a more organized manner when I type up the paper. This usually results to a better written paper as opposed to a paper that was made by me typing immediately.

The best feeling is when you get into the zone/flow and you just keep on writing on paper and then you look up and realize that hours have passed by and you've written so many pages. I don't think you can get that feeling when typing on a computer because there are just too many distractions on it.

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people that have come alive.

-Howard Thurman

I have given the whole problem some very deep and intense thought and after much contemplation, meditation, and consultation, the justification for using a fountain pen is: How else am I gonna use up all the ink I have?

• 4 weeks later...

Lame excuse but it does work: just to make sure nobody accidentialy grabs my pen leaving me without something to write in the heat of the moment... Everybody knows that fountainpen is mine...

And besides of that? Justify, why?

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

No justification is necessary; do what works for you.

I usually start my writing with a mind map, and have not found a computer program as good as pen and paper. The mind map allows me to get ideas on paper way faster than trying to set up an outline first. Plus mind maps are much more fun to do by hand. Then I pick my topics and write an outline. There is something about writing that helps me create a narrative in my head that makes the organization congeal. I Don't write rough drafts, though; I feel like that is too much duplication of effort. Once I have a draft outline on paper I move to the computer. I do print out to proofread, though.

Also, I prefer handwriting notes in meetings. The Clickety-clack of people taking notes on laptops drives me a little nuts, and despite having reasonable (60 words/min) typing speed the ideas don't get put down as quickly. I don't have to write as many notes, but I think I retain more important facts.

You can justify with a fountain pen, the medieval scribes used to do it, but it takes care and planning.

Beware - Warped Australian sense of humour may be involved...

I love it! :lticaptd:

(They used string to justify.)

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

1984 anyone? If you haven't noticed, everything is going digital. Including your money.

Peace and Understanding

• 2 weeks later...

You get three dimensions with paper, which you don't get with a screen.

You can pile different drafts or ideas on paper and look at the similtaneously, or side by side and go back to previous versions because you didn't overwrite the last draft or delete the last thought whilst working on the current idea.

A screen is 2-D. You can only see what's on the screen - opening different version is cumbersome or clumsy.

Of course, computers are useful for producing the final version, and it's easier to correct - but at the development stage a pen just works better, even if it is just sketching an outline.

Then there's a personal aestetic. People seem to prefer handwritten personal letters to typed ones.

There is really nothing to justify. Different people prefer different tools and for note taking and ideation I think pen and paper is superior to computer. Google keeps my digital calendar and handles my digital correspondence, i design and write code on computers but for creative thought its analog for me.

It seems that there is research that agrees with my preference. Students who take notes with pen and paper do much better than those who take notes on their computers.

Justify? My handwriting is far too messy for that. lol

But seriously, it's like any hobby. Why knit, when you can buy a sweater? Why paint, when we have color printers now? Why garden, when it's easier to go to a florist and/or grocery store?

Phooey on justifying. ;-)

If somebody still needs to justify... You have two separate questions. The first one is why writing instead of typing. The second one is why to use a fountain pen for writing.

It is proven that students who write out their notes on paper actually learn more: http://www.wsj.com/articles/can-handwriting-make-you-smarter-1459784659 You can also check http://www.fastcompany.com/3044907/work-smart/how-typing-is-destroying-your-memory.
According to this article, every year Americans use and dispose over 100 billions of disposable pens: http://www.greenlivingtips.com/articles/refillable-vs-disposable-pens.html. They finish in landfills and in waterways, together with millions of non-disposable ballpoint pens that are so cheap. A good fountain pen can be used for decades.

Fill your pens, not the landfill

In church we need a microphone, mixing desk, speakers and a mile of cables - Whitfield spoke to thousands using only the human voice.

What do you need to submit an essay? Pen and paper v mains electricity, keyboard, screen hard drive, Microsoft windows (other OS are available), Microsoft Word, computer printer. Are we over-engineering a simple task?

Quite apart from the advantage in terms of thought process, shouldn't those worried about global warming be concerned about their carbon footprint?

Fountain pens are re-usable and hence "green", paper of necessity comes from a tree - a tree is a renewable resource. In contrast electricity consuming laptops and printers consume fossil fuels and need to be replaced and updated (How many of us are still using Office 2000?).

Need I go on?

• 3 months later...

I have a few reasons, some logical and some more illogical.

1. I love writing with a fountain pen.

2. I use a fountain pen as people are less likely to "borrow" a fountain pen, no matter the cost.

3. I use a very distinctive colour of ink and it acts as a form of copy protection. It guarantees that someone hasn't made any edits after I have signed it off.

4. I rotate inks as a way to show me when I did something.

Ultimately I use a fountain pen because they are beautiful and I like the way they write.

Should I need a better reason?

I find I just can't get my screen the correct colour of Rhodia White...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Simply put, I don't feel as though I have to justify what my tastes, preferences are, and with that I don't have to justify writing with a fountain pen. I just do it. Mind you, I do spend 90% of my writing time keyboarding.

I enjoy using my fountain pens. Doing so harms neither people nor society. I use my computer in

the same manner that you described. I don't have to justify anything.

Soooooooooooo, which fountain pens do you use ?

I completely agree.

No need to justify. Just enjoy!

That said, I have been asked many times by my IT peers what my "deal is" with fountain pens...

* Quick boot time

* Low power requirements

* No malware

* Internet connection not required

* No engineered obsolescence!

I ink, therefore I am.