• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• ArchiMark

• kirchh

• flipper_gv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please delete this entire thread. The pen is so beautiful I just have to get one. But a divorce would ensue, and that would cost me a whole lot more than the pen. So please remove this temptation before I go out and either rob a bank or sneak into my wife's purse. (or at least when you quote the price, list it as $35.00 so I can prove to Carol just how reasonable the cost is)

The pen is indeed magnificent.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

It is a beautiful pen. It's got my name written all over it. How did I overlook it when I was spending money like crazy on Montblancs? This new Wahl-Eversharp company hit the mark for the entire package. Great refined pen, box etc...

I just confirmed with Syd himself the pens are made from parts originating in France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. Machining and Assembly is done in Italy and the USA.

Interesting. Do you know which part is coming from Switzerland?

...just curious.

C.

...just curious.

C.

Just the good parts. :)

In all seriousness, I do not know. Syd did not elaborate. I think he is giving a talk at the upcoming Chicago show and might touch on the subject. Sadly, I am not going.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

...just curious.

C.

The Awesome.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Just the good parts. :)

In all seriousness, I do not know. Syd did not elaborate. I think he is giving a talk at the upcoming Chicago show and might touch on the subject. Sadly, I am not going.

Thanks. It's not that important to know. I was just curious becaus there is not much pen production here in CH as fa as I know.

The Awesome.

greg

Nice. Thank you Greg.

C

Edited by christof

It's a cool pen but I don't understand why in the world it's so obscenely large. I mean, the MB 149 already stretches the limits of most normal sized hands. Plus, I feel like pulling this pen out in a meeting involving non fountain pen people would make you look.. well for lack of a better word .. like a complete d-bag.

Nah -- if you want to pull out an obscenely large d-bag pen at a meeting, I think you need to go with this one:

fpn_1461892315__amethyst_fountain_pen.jp

(A friend who heard I liked fountain pens thought I'd be amused by this. He was not wrong.)

Edited by thudthwacker

Nah -- if you want to pull out an obscenely large d-bag pen at a meeting, I think you need to go with this one:

(A friend who heard I liked fountain pens thought I'd be amused by this. He was not wrong.)

The Dark Crystal! You could be the head Skeksis at the board meetings.

Dupont?

The Dark Crystal! You could be the head Skeksis at the board meetings.

Wow. When you put it like that, I kind of want one, now. (Though I can't be head Skeksis at a board meeting -- I'm not management. I could chuckle happily to myself while denying requests for quota increases, I guess. Sadly, that doesn't usually involve paperwork.)

...just curious.

C.

I chatted with Syd at the Chicago Show today and asked that question. The nib is made in Germany, but the debossing as well as some plating is done in Switzerland. Debossing is the process of removing gold from the nib which resuts in the depressed, frosted surface on the nib. It is done to provide the degree of flex Syd wanted in the nib. By the way, Syd provided his permission for me to post this information.

I asked who makes his two inks, but he said he is specifically not allowed by the vendor to publicize that information.

Edited by whichwatch

• 1 month later...

The modern WE Decoband is, of course, and homage to the original, only on steroids. I recently acquired another pen that was also an homage to the original WE Decoband pens. It is a Bexley Decoband from 1997. (There was another version issued in different materials in 1999.) The pen is also a rosewood ebonite and the trim and clip are 14K. The Bexley is closer to the original Decoband, but the nib is nowhere near as fun as the new WE Deco.

fpn_1465536348__20160609_091318_resized.

fpn_1465536381__20160609_091358_resized.

fpn_1465536412__20160609_091507_resized.

One note about the Bexley - I read that MB took exception to the 3 cap rings (similar to the MB bands) so pens made after a certain point do not have the top cap band.

I recently acquired another pen that was also an homage to the original WE Decoband pens. It is a Bexley Decoband from 1997.

Very cool. They make a wonderful pair.

The Bexley is a cartridge/converter pen from the factory. However, someone converted the pen into a button filler, which I found quite strange. I made it back into a cartridge pen.

Very cool! That Bexley is neat. Why didn't you like the custom button filler? As for the Wahl-Eversharp, I cannot wait for mine to come in. I also went with the rosewood ebonite.

• 4 weeks later...

A brief update...

I had an issue with the section of my pen. I contacted Syd and he said to send in the pen for repair at no cost. I sent it in to him and he had it back on the road to me in 2 days. He replaced the black section cover and put in a new urushi coated feed. And because he is just so kind, Syd included a lovely leather WE pouch that fits the Decoband (if just barely). The pen is back to its normal self, and I can now report that Syd lives up to the warranty claims he made when I bought the pen. Another reason to support this small firm, whether this pen or one of the smaller vintage inspired offerings.

Here are some photos of the pouch. It is lined with a microfiber cloth and is very supple to the touch. The quality is definitely there and I would be open to buyign the cases for pen storage. I would not recommend tossing this in a backpack or place with other sharp objects and expecting significant impact protection. It is soft leather, not magic!

fpn_1467842657__20160706_145240_resized.

fpn_1467842691__20160706_145216_resized.