New Pelikan 4001 Dunkelgrün (Dark Green)

Michael R.

Gemstone for March? I didn't know that. I'd buy it any day! Har, har. BTW these LE gems are traditionally issued every March (usually around the 1st of March). Anyhow, together with the Aquamarine, the 4001 Dark Green is also alledgedly to appear at the same time, i.e. not on the 1st of Jan. We'll see!!!. Other rumours (from Pelikan directly):

1.The 4001 Dark Green is to remain available (very roughly speaking just like all other 4001s and not be/become a LE); The b-b is the only exception and that has to do with the USA's FDA (or whatever) not liking its content(s).

2. Other additions to the 4001 line are indeed possible but [a] not yet planned and/or not yet publicized (even to the Pelikan employees underneath the very top storey).

Enyoy

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• migo984

• The Good Captain

• deacondavid

I'll be curious as to what color this ends up actually being (the image on the Pelikan's Perch website does make it look kinda like mouthwash, doesn't it?). But it definitely does NOT look much like the 2016 Edelstein ink either.... And "dark green" might be a good description when comparing it to Brilliant Green.

For now, I'm reserving judgment -- the same way I am reserving judgment about the forthcoming Edelstein Aquamarine until I actually see reviews.

I'm not a really big fan of green inks in general, and then I'm fussy about where they fall in the spectrum, tending to prefer the ones that lean slightly (but only slightly) to the yellow side, and are not too vibrant: for me, that means Diamine Emerald is pretty much my go-to green; followed by Anderson Pens Green Bay, the interim (i.e., reformulated and then discarded in favor of the original) Noodler's Army Green, and Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu; also (but I have to be in the right frame of mind for it, because it fades to a sort of murky color) J Herbin Vert Empire.

Pretty much *anything* that is a greenish teal or green-leaning turquoise is Right Out ; ditto for very bright tones (Noodler's Green, PR Spearmint, and -- yes -- Brilliant Green); or greens that are either *very* yellow-toned or too light to be legible.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I tend to find that Pelikan's product shots are not always color accurate. I'm excited for a saturated dark green but am worried that's not what we're going to get here. Holding on any judgement until we see some samples. I'm expecting Aquamarine to be on the more blue side of the spectrum so I think this will be a nice counter balance. Whereas Aquamarine is a limited edition, Dark Green is going to be a regular addition to the standard line so love it or hate it, it should be sticking around.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Pretty much *anything* that is a greenish teal or green-leaning turquoise is Right Out

Thanks for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch reference! Being a tonsured Reader in a Western (Anglican) Rite Antiochian Orthodox parish, I love this scene.

"Skip a little."

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I'm interested to see Pelikan's take on Dark Green, too. I have way too many dark greens gathered in search of my ideal, but, at this point, another one isn't going to kill me...

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

Ahhh.... here we go.... that's the big diff between you real writers and me the collector. I'll buy it for sure... I don't have to like it, I don't have to use it, I just have to have it....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/jubelfreu1.gif

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Well, if the ink is really a dark green then I'll be interested. But if it is an ink with merely the name "dark green" then I'll pass. Aquamarine is a color I really don't use, but if it's a darker version, say a medium aquamarine, I may consider it.

I'm just going to say I really like the Brillant Grün but it never seems to make it into my pen lineup

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Ahhh.... here we go.... that's the big diff between you real writers and me the collector. I'll buy it for sure... I don't have to like it, I don't have to use it, I just have to have it....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/jubelfreu1.gif

Spoken like a TRUE "ink-a-holic"!!:)

personally....I probably would NEVER write a letter or practice my penmanship with aquamarine ink.....

BUT...I'm set to buy a bottle when it comes out!;)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the Dark Green for sale anywhere (even pre-order)? La Couronne du Comte has Aquamarine for pre-order (got some cartridges reserved, myself!) but not the Dark Green.

So, does anyone have a bottle yet?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So, does anyone have a bottle yet?

Our bottle arrived today. It's a very nice deep (but note dark) green. I have plenty of green inks but this is slightly different to all of them, which is good :-) Will post pic tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.........

Verba volant, scripta manent

Our bottle arrived today. It's a very nice deep (but note dark) green. I have plenty of green inks but this is slightly different to all of them, which is good :-) Will post pic tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.........

Yes please :)

Very curious.

Extremely interested.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

I'm really interested in whether it has a warm or cold tone, i.e. yellow or blue/gray tint. If the former, a definite purchase; if the latter, disappointment.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Here's a quick photo of the Pelikan 4001 Dark Green. The underlying tonal value is definitely towards blue.

I've put it with a few of my other greens for comparison. I've washed a side of each swab with water so you can see the differences more clearly. I've include Kobe #34 as an example of a warmer, yellow-toned green, as a contrast.

Accuracy can't be guaranteed obviously, as with all online ink pics. However, these look pretty close to what I see IRL.

Verba volant, scripta manent