W-E Doric Franken Pen.

farmdogfan

I got this pen in a neglected state, but it cleaned up nicely.

I´m not sure what it is, but i guess it´s a 2 gen barrel and cap with a 1 gen section and nib (a nice nib by the way, very flexy) all the vacuum filler parts were replaced by a sac, pressure bar and button, i put a new sac in it and it all works perfectly.

The cap has got another W-E clip (i don´t know from what) and the place where the original clip was, has been filled with some unknown substance (second pic).

fpn_1449847272__dpp_112098.jpg

fpn_1449847290__dpp_112099.jpg

fpn_1449847306__dpp_112101.jpg

fpn_1449847328__dpp_112102.jpg

fpn_1449847340__dpp_112104.jpg

Edited by farmdogfan

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• farmdogfan

• KBeezie

• kazoolaw

• Greenie

Took two readings to understand why the cap and the Gold Seal aren't aligned.

Terrific nib, and I've always been a fan of the lined cap material.

Nicely done,

gary

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, the guy who once made the conversion from vacuum filler to button filler, did a nice job.

Ditto... I wouldn't mind that done but with a 100% silicone sac (as not to cause discoloration to the celluloid with a latex one). Which might be something you'd want to consider doing since you have it apart.

Sorry for the late reply.

I discovered a small crack in the nib, so i probably won´t be using it (not until/if i get another nib), so i am just going to leave it as it is.

It´s on the right side of the nib, the "track" where the adjuster rides, and there is also a crack where the nib and section meets (can only be seen with the nib out).

Maybe some day i will run into another one with a good nib, meanwhile this one is a parts pen.

Edited by farmdogfan

The barrel is absolutely stunning :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: . I saw the pen and was about to purchase it, but I was too late to the party. Congratulations on the purchase, although I'm sorry to hear about the nib.

Ditto... I wouldn't mind that done but with a 100% silicone sac (as not to cause discoloration to the celluloid with a latex one). Which might be something you'd want to consider doing since you have it apart.

Another great reason for the silicone sac is that you can see the ink inside the sac, just as you would see the ink in the barrel if it was left as a vac fill. I did this to a WASP with some debate on FPN regarding if it was a good idea or not. I can't seem to find the post. It was July 2013. (edit - found it -

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/249809-how-about-converting-a-vacuum-fill-to-a-button-fill/ )

fpn_1451880367__img_3192_web.jpg

It could easily be put back if I find a good rod for the inside. This one was rusted, split, and the end that holds the washer was broken in two places.

Edited by Greenie

The barrel is absolutely stunning :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: . I saw the pen and was about to purchase it, but I was too late to the party. Congratulations on the purchase, although I'm sorry to hear about the nib.

Thanks, who knows, one day i might run into a good nib, this one still writes though.

Another great reason for the silicone sac is that you can see the ink inside the sac, just as you would see the ink in the barrel if it was left as a vac fill. I did this to a WASP with some debate on FPN regarding if it was a good idea or not. I can't seem to find the post. It was July 2013. (edit - found it -

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/249809-how-about-converting-a-vacuum-fill-to-a-button-fill/ )

fpn_1451880367__img_3192_web.jpg

It could easily be put back if I find a good rod for the inside. This one was rusted, split, and the end that holds the washer was broken in two places.

I would do it if the nib was O.K.