Does Anyone Know How Lamy Tests Their Pens Before Distribution?

Jeremington

I received my first Lamy 2000 in the mail today. When I flushed it for the first time, but before inking it, there was a decent amount of blue tint to the water and on my paper towel. It took several flushes before there was no longer a blue tint. I was just wondering what the pre-distribution product testing process is for Lamy. My main questions are 1. Do they dip test it? 2. If its not a dip test, then how much ink do they fill it with? 3. Do they flush the pen after testing it? and lastly, 4. What ink do they use? I kinda liked the color it left on my paper towel.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeremington

• RMN

• Jamerelbe

• Morphling27

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't answer questions 1-3 (though I suspect they just dip the nib, scribble with it, then wipe it?), but I'm pretty sure the answer to 4 is Lamy Blue ink - their non-piston pens (almost?) all come with a Lamy Blue cartridge ready to install - and they all have a bit of residual blue ink under the nib that needs to be flushed if you're going to use something else.

Can't answer questions 1-3 (though I suspect they just dip the nib, scribble with it, then wipe it?), but I'm pretty sure the answer to 4 is Lamy Blue ink - their non-piston pens (almost?) all come with a Lamy Blue cartridge ready to install - and they all have a bit of residual blue ink under the nib that needs to be flushed if you're going to use something else.

Thanks I'll probably order a bottle of Lamy Blue next time I make a purchase. I also emailed Lamy asking about their product testing policy out of curiosity, since I couldn't find it on their website. In case anyone else is interested, I will post their response as soon as I hear back from them.

Always interested!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Awesome video, thanks for posting it! Quoting the section about quality control it says, "Every product is subjected to automatic quality control. Finally, one additional visual inspection is carried out by the human eye . . . In a final step each writing instrument is subjected to inspection by eye. The finished product is not released for delivery until all the tests have been successfully completed." Hopefully the response from Lamy tells me what those tests are. This is mostly out of curiousity, but I wouldn't mind knowing what the manufacturer does to inspect their products considering, at the very least, it would help me inspect my own pens after future purchases arrive.

Edited by Jeremington

Interesting movie. They do a writing sample by hand (on the 2000), but do not show if it is dip or fill.

Interested to hear what LAMY has to say!

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 2 weeks later...

The email response was just as secretive, here it is:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail.
Every LAMY 2000 has been handwritten and approved by our trained and experienced staff before shipment.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

C. Josef Lamy GmbH

ppa.

Marco Achenbach
Leiter Produktmanagement/Entwicklung"

The email response was just as secretive, here it is:

"Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Every LAMY 2000 has been handwritten and approved by our trained and experienced staff before shipment.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

C. Josef Lamy GmbH

ppa.

Marco Achenbach

Leiter Produktmanagement/Entwicklung"

Basic canned response it looks like...you'd almost have to fully disassemble a brand new 2k as soon as you got it to know if they dip or fill it. Where the inky residue remains would give us the answer...

I've noticed all the Safari and Al Stars I've gotten new had been written with by someone at Lamy, all with the same blue.

So, it isn't just the 2000, I assume they do it with all their pens.

I'm happy with how it performs. I was just hoping they would be a little more descriptive when I asked them "how they test their pens" rather than them just reassuring me that they do in fact test the pens. But hey at least they eventually answered me!