The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I Know It's A Sheaffer, But What Is It?

sheaffer inexpensive pen modern pen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Davjohn

Davjohn

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:45

fpn_1449639340__sheaffers.jpg

I have 2 of the 2nd from left, 6 of the 3rd from left, and 3 of the far right. All I know is that they are engraved "Sheaffer", but nothing else. The 3rd from left were sold as "School Pens". If I Google "Sheaffer School Pens", the 3 on the left will appear. The one on the right appears labeled as a Viewpoint.

If you know what they are, please let me know.

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 13:30

The two left appear to be the third iteration of the cartridge pen (AkA School pen).  The next is a newer "School Pen" and the far right is a NoNonsense but not sure where "Viewpoint" comes in.  Can you show us the section and nib on that one?

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 18:05

I'm inclined to think #4 is a NoNonsense, too.  The band on early Viewpoints is a little thinner, and I think before the switch to an open window in the barrel, they were all transparent.  #1 may be a second-iteration rather than a third; I think I see a little bit of a cone on the tail.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#4 Davjohn

Davjohn

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 00:21

The two left appear to be the third iteration of the cartridge pen (AkA School pen).  The next is a newer "School Pen" and the far right is a NoNonsense but not sure where "Viewpoint" comes in.  Can you show us the section and nib on that one?

Is there an easier way to upload pictures?

fpn_1449706755__snib.jpg

#5 Davjohn

Davjohn

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 00:21

I'm inclined to think #4 is a NoNonsense, too.  The band on early Viewpoints is a little thinner, and I think before the switch to an open window in the barrel, they were all transparent.  #1 may be a second-iteration rather than a third; I think I see a little bit of a cone on the tail.

You are correct, sir. There is a slight cone on both ends.

#6 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 00:54

I think the 'Viewpoint' was the translucent NN model. I have it in smoke, but they also may have come in green, blue and burgundy.

#7 Davjohn

Davjohn

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:46

Look at this website. The No Nonsense Sheaffer is on that page with the card and blister pack with the Viewpoint label. The other pens are there, too.

http://penhero.com/P...rNoNonsense.htm

#8 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:36

Look at this website. The No Nonsense Sheaffer is on that page with the card and blister pack with the Viewpoint label. The other pens are there, too.

http://penhero.com/P...rNoNonsense.htm

As per Davjohn's link, the Viewpoint has a rubberized section and a snap cap, yours does not = No Nonsense.

#9 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:03

Is there an easier way to upload pictures?

fpn_1449706755__snib.jpg

Okay, that is what we needed to see.  That is for a NoNonsense and not a Viewpoint.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#10 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 13:46

Older ("vintage") Viewpoints do not have the rubberized section. Did you see that part on Penhero? Unless I am remembering the name wrong, which could well be the case here, but I recall buying a few translucent NN pens in a Staples or OM, and I thought that was what they were called...

Davjohn,is your pen solid color plastic or translucent?

PS: Turns out my memory did not fail. Older translucent NNs were called Viewpoints.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin, 10 December 2015 - 14:44.

#11 dan in montreal

dan in montreal

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 22:50

Older ("vintage") Viewpoints do not have the rubberized section. Did you see that part on Penhero? Unless I am remembering the name wrong, which could well be the case here, but I recall buying a few translucent NN pens in a Staples or OM, and I thought that was what they were called...

PS: Turns out my memory did not fail. <a href='http://www.fountainp...or-range/page-5' class='bbc_url' title=''>Older translucent NNs were called Viewpoints. </a>

Actually, no and thanks for pointing it out.  I had not noticed the blister pack with the model name in the article! I always assumed the Viewpoint name designated a specific iteration of the NN line - rubber section and snap cap. I stand corrected.

#12 Davjohn

Davjohn

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2015 - 00:16

PS: Turns out my memory did not fail. <a href='http://www.fountainp...or-range/page-5' class='bbc_url' title=''>Older translucent NNs were called Viewpoints. </a>

The pens in question are solid black, solid plastic section with no rubber, the caps are thread on, and the nibs are marked "F".

I did buy them at a Staples.

#13 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2015 - 00:31

The pens in question are solid black, solid plastic section with no rubber, the caps are thread on, and the nibs are marked "F".

I did buy them at a Staples.

So that would seem to be a regular NN. Is the trim gold or silver in color?

#14 Davjohn

Davjohn

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:50

So that would seem to be a regular NN. Is the trim gold or silver in color?

Silver

#15 obilot

obilot

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 00:25

My first ever fountain pen was like one of the three on the left, but had a red barrel. I found it in my father's desk drawer, totally unused, and adopted it. Several years after that it died a spectacular death in my jeans pocket. I replaced it with one much like the one on the right, which was nothing like my old one. Squared-off ends -- and I never cared for that clip compared with the sleek older one. That was my last Sheaffer.

Around then my dad bought one with a broad nib. Makes me wonder where that one went. That one would have.been a slightly more expensive model. As I recall that one ran about USD 5 in about 1979. My cheaper model was in the USD 2-3 range.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sheaffer, inexpensive pen, modern pen

Sponsored Content

|