What Do You Write When Testing?

Cowriter

What do you write when trying out a new or newly bought fountain pen or ink?

Are there any standard sentences that one should learn that gives the correct amount of variations between letters, loops etc that has been proven especially suitable for comparison between pens or inks?

If so, is there a name for these types of texts/sentences?

Edited by Cowriter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Sandy1

• penwash

• Cowriter

I am not the creative type. I just write out "test with ______" where ___ = name of pen and color. Good enough for me.

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" gives you every letter of the alphabet.

Of course, being a newbie at this, I'm more of the "ooooo a fountain pen" then "I don't like the feedback on this one". I have yet to develop the critical eye towards testing pens.

"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." as it uses every letter in the alphabet and I also go through the the alphabet from a to z joining each letter together in cursive script. I do so with large letters and small letters especially if testing nib grades.

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I would agree with Gordon - equally as important as the words used, is the need to write joined-up (longhand) cursive writing, of which there are plenty of examples on the web - this provides for a range of hand/pen movements, and should show up any defects in the nibs ability to write without scratching.

I think it helps to write a few lines that appeal to the writer - something that's evocative or appealing to the senses - whether it's an extract from a favourite poem, Shakespeare etc., helps you to put some real feeling into the words, and makes the effort more enjoyable.

Even the standard digits from 1 to 9 can be written with character and a look that owes much to the C19 or early C20.

'The quick brown fox' etc., and the other similar 'Now is the time for all good men' etc., don't do a great deal for the senses, but something like

a verse from Poe or some lines from a sonnet by the Bard, have much more appeal, and don't make high demands on creativity.

I am not the creative type. I just write out "test with ______" where ___ = name of pen and color. Good enough for me.

Lately I've been using a similar approach. I used to write some weird phrases but usually, a few days/weeks later, I would return to my notebook and ask myself: "What the &@%# is this ink???"

So now I will write something like this:

This is a test of MB Permanent Blue in a Pelikan M205 with a fine nib.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMONOPQRSTUVWXYZ

And usually finish with my signature...

Hi,

To determine nib shape and smoothness, average flow rate and consistency of flow I charge the pen with a Washable ink with low dye-load and some shading potential - certainly not Black - then draw A4-size round, triangular and square spirals. I often follow-up those samples with another set written with an iron-gall ink.

That exercise will reveal just how and where I need to grasp the pen to keep it running on the sweet spot, then I can carry on with written samples. I prefer to write selections from Moby Dick, simply for the prose.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Penwash ...

Fantastic! All the stuff you want to see, done in a creative exercise!

Hats off!

Dick

I always write the what the pen is and which ink first. I totally agree with everyone who has said to start with this.

Then, I use other alternative pangrams (sentences with all the letters of the alphabet). I was not excited by "the quick brown fox..." and searched the internet for more....

Fill my box with five dozen liquor jugs.

Few black taxis drive up major roads on quiet hazy nights.

Grumpy wizards make a toxic brew for the jovial queen.

If the pen is somewhat flexible, I love to write....well.... the word flexible. It happens to have all the right loops for showing off a flexible nib.

After that I practice my upper and lower case alphabet and numbers.

I usually write The quick brown fox ...

I sometimes add a few extra words to describe my experience ... "The scratchy brown fox ... "

I also write "Bonjour", my name, and I do my signature.

I must not be buying enough pens...I don't really have a standard thing I write, lol. But I usually do something along the lines of the pen make/model, ink being used and then go right into observations about the pen or how it writes; a mini on-the-fly review of sorts, basically...

Edited by sirgilbert357

"Can you give me a discount?"

Always be subtle ;)

Jokes aside, I usually write whatever I feel like, sometimes it may be the brand of the pen, the brand names that I see in the shop, the brand of the paper pad I was handed to write with... (on that end, Waterman's paper feathers and bleeds like mad, Montblanc's planner feathers too...)

And of course, sometimes, "the quick brown fox' too.

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

A question I have always wondered as well. Many here have alluded to the fact they write quite a few things at the store. However I suffer from a nervous hand, and just can't write at my most relaxed with the salesperson staring down at me when I ask to try a pen. I only relax when the sales person realizes that I have terrible writing and then go away to help other customers. In the store, I usually write the name of the shop as well as the brand of the pen or the brand of the ink.

At home, there are a few words I love to use. Beautiful I use a lot because it has a lot of ascenders and decenders. The other word I use these days is kunstmuseum, a word one of the online pen reviewers use. The other is the day and month.

I like two sentences that include all the letters of the alphabet and usually write both of them so that I can see how then pen writes with different connectors.

1. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

2. The five boxing wizards jump quickly.

After that I tend to write the word "freedom" a bunch of times. I'm not really sure why but I like the way that words flows from a fountain pen and all the loops are kind of entrancing. Finally, depending on the nib, I may or may not do some line variation tests by writing the word "flex" or "flexy freedom" -- again I really like writing the word freedom lol.

Near the end of the test I will usually write my signature a couple of times to check for skipping as I tend to sign things very quickly. But I don't always do this.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

Penwash ...

Fantastic! All the stuff you want to see, done in a creative exercise!

Hats off!

Dick

Thank you for noticing, Dick.

My inspiration for this came from vintage posters and hand-written menus in Cafes and small restaurants or grocery stores.

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

Google "pangram" and you'll get a list to wear out several nibs

Quotes from movies make good test fodder (think Godfather "Leave the gun. Take the canolis")

Of course there's always that stand-by 'Lorem ipsum'

Ditto for Shakespeare and Moby Dick

But NEVER use your signature or any other personal information (including your Social Security number) unless you have an identity theft death-wish. If you do be sure and take the piece of paper with you when you leave

i usually write the Frisian pangram: "alve bazige froalju wachtsje op dyn komst" (eleven bossy women are awaiting your arrival) in both cursive and printed handwritings.

you need to do alot more writing/scribbling to properly get to know a pen though.