R&k Reservoirs Or Reservoir Bottles

camd

Hi all,

I've read several threads on FPN about getting ink out of the bottom half of ink bottles, but the only satisfactory solution I've seen is the Rohrer & Klingner Erka Rapid Ink Reservoir, which are available from Goldspot.com, and apparently fits Noodlers bottles. Unfortunately, by the time I get these delivered, they would cost me $40 CAD, which seems steep.

I know it's a long-shot, but does anyone know where I could find these in Canada, or for less than $15 shipping?

I'm also interested in other options that are relatively simple and clean (I work in an environment where potential spillage is not an option)? For example, I'd be willing to buy new ink bottles that have reservoirs, but I haven't found any except the TWBSI ones, which seem pricey at $32.50 CAD each.

Does anyone know where I can get reservoir bottles either in Canada, or cheap in the U.S.?

For the record, I'm not in favour of throwing ink out, dumping leftover ink into the next bottle of same-colour ink (why buy the same colours again?), buying a Snorkel (I have one, but don't want to use it), using a syringe/pipette (too messy!).

Thanks for any help.

C.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• camd

• goatgolfer

• Dragonmaster Lou

• rafapa

I agree with you that these "till the last drop" systems work better in the bottle. Some Japanese inks come with a similar system, and Sheaffer vintage bottles used to have a glass reservoir for this. Montblanc "shoe" bottles (the ones that come with their regular and permanent lineup) are supposed to help with this. Lamy and Iroshizuku have a deep hole in the bottom of the glass that helps to use the ink till the end. Waterman bottles are tiltable so you can fill better when ink level is low. Akkerman inks have a special system with a glass bead pooling ink in a similar fashion of this device for R&K bottles.

Maybe you could buy empty bottles from the Goulet's of the brands I mentioned and use them as ink wells for your favorite inks that come in bad bottles.

Oh, we are all in a bad way. Precious ink, going to waste because we can't get to it. Am not familiar with the Canadian Post, so can't say exactly what your best option would be. The Erka Reservoirs are one solution, indeed, I have three and like them. They originate in Germany, are sold in a few online shops in France. Maybe a British online shop would cost you less?

Also have several Montblanc shoe-bottles, they work well. Dearly love the inks from Montblanc as well. So, over time, that might be an option as well. TWSBI ink bottles also have some neat tricks to make filling easier and cleaner. As do Levenger inks.

Skrip inks are pretty good, can be tilted when the ink gets low. I put my low bottles in a dish, one side lifted by a small sponge. That works out well most of the time.

The old Skrip reservoir bottles are good, provided your pen has a small nib. Many of the pens I own have # 6 nibs or larger and just won't fit in the bottle's well.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Looking at Goldspots website, the inserts appear to be three to a package. THey also show free shipping if an order exceeds $49, I do not know if that would apply to a shipment to Canada, but sent an email and ask. If its good you could get 4 packs and possibly share with someone up there.

You might also look for some of the TWSBI bottles, they show at $25 at Goulet but are out of stock, $30 on Amazon. They come with colored caps so you can get one to match general color of ink, and it is acutally a dual cap, The top part is for somehow attaching to some of the TWSBI pens, or remove the entire two piece cap and it has an insert that fills when the bottle is inverted, like what you are wanting.. I have had a couple for several years, before the price got out of site and they are well made and very attractive

Edited by jkingrph

Regards

Jeff

In spite of us living in the Golden Age of inks, there are some to many that are worth buying again.

Especially if you have lucked out into a 'perfect' match of nib width/flex and paper to go with that ink.

So pouring the remains of an ink into a new in is good, if you like it.

If not...then why worry about the last few drops....empty and wash it....one always saves the glass ink bottles....just in case. ;)

You might take up ink mixing as a hobby.

As mentioned old Sheafers bottles or shoe MB bottles are worth having.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Inspired by this thread and several others https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/299105-ink-bottles-with-reservoirs/ >> and an empty Pilot Kakuno , I transferred enough Noodler's Heart of Darkness to a vintage Skrip bottle with reservoir (just the resv for the moment). WORKED like a dream.

I bought three of the bottles on ebay for $15 and saw some with no label and no box at the Michigan pen show for $1. I am using the lid from a Colman's mustard jar as the original lid wasn't liquid tight.

While the R&K solution is ingenious it works with only one bottle mouth opening. Reuse, recycle and rejoice. Skrip lives on.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

I've got a Namiki ink bottle with a similar insert. Cost me, what, $2 with shipping from Goulet pens. The selection changes as they empty bottles into sample vials. Some other dealers occasionally have empty bottles if you poke around a bit.

It's currently filled with Heart of Darkness, but when that's gone, who knows?

While the R&K solution is ingenious it works with only one bottle mouth opening. Reuse, recycle and rejoice. Skrip lives on.

Anyway, I am surprised by how many brands share the same mouth opening whith quite different bottle dessign: R&K, Noodler's, Pelikan 4001, Delta, Omas,...

Anyway, I am surprised by how many brands share the same mouth opening whith quite different bottle dessign: R&K, Noodler's, Pelikan 4001, Delta, Omas,...

@rafapa - the beauty of the hobby is innovation and beauty for all. Thanks to all for sharing.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

Hi all,

I've read several threads on FPN about getting ink out of the bottom half of ink bottles, but the only satisfactory solution I've seen is the Rohrer & Klingner Erka Rapid Ink Reservoir, which are available from Goldspot.com, and apparently fits Noodlers bottles. Unfortunately, by the time I get these delivered, they would cost me $40 CAD, which seems steep.

I know it's a long-shot, but does anyone know where I could find these in Canada, or for less than $15 shipping?

I don't know if you can find them on Amazon Canada (I assume Amazon Canada exists), but there is a guy on the Amazon US site that ships them from Germany. Cost is about $9 with $3 basic shipping. You'll probably need to wait a few weeks to get it as it's coming all the way from Germany, but if you're not in a rush, it's probably worth it.

I also bought a few empty R&K bottles ($0.95 each, I think) with my last order from Goulet Pens and plan to turn all of them into inkwells using these inserts.

Edited by Dragonmaster Lou

I don't know if you can find them on Amazon Canada (I assume Amazon Canada exists), but there is a guy on the Amazon US site that ships them from Germany. Cost is about $9 with $3 basic shipping. You'll probably need to wait a few weeks to get it as it's coming all the way from Germany, but if you're not in a rush, it's probably worth it.

I also bought a few empty R&K bottles ($0.95 each, I think) with my last order from Goulet Pens and plan to turn all of them into inkwells using these inserts.

Do you have the name of the seller? I don't see the reservoirs listed on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com right now, but I'd be willing to contact the seller to see if they could ship to Canada.

Thanks.

I agree with you that these "till the last drop" systems work better in the bottle. Some Japanese inks come with a similar system, and Sheaffer vintage bottles used to have a glass reservoir for this. Montblanc "shoe" bottles (the ones that come with their regular and permanent lineup) are supposed to help with this. Lamy and Iroshizuku have a deep hole in the bottom of the glass that helps to use the ink till the end. Waterman bottles are tiltable so you can fill better when ink level is low. Akkerman inks have a special system with a glass bead pooling ink in a similar fashion of this device for R&K bottles.

Maybe you could buy empty bottles from the Goulet's of the brands I mentioned and use them as ink wells for your favorite inks that come in bad bottles.

Thanks for the list of bottles. I may just have to keep my eyes out for old bottles.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'm surprised that with all the fountain pen users out there that no one has come up with a great solution for this. I'm firstly shocked that more pen users don't demand better bottle designs from manufacturers, especially from specialty companies like Noodlers.

The R&K reservoirs seem brilliant, and I would think that there would be a business opportunity for someone to manufacture something like these for various bottles or at least to make the R&K ones more generally available.

In the meantime, I'll keep looking.

Do you have the name of the seller? I don't see the reservoirs listed on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com right now, but I'd be willing to contact the seller to see if they could ship to Canada.

Thanks.

The seller is Seitz Global. Here's the link to their seller profile on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=0&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=002-9991310-5863453&seller=A6BE82VNJ6BQ6&tab=&vasStoreID=

Well, it turned out that the solution was pretty simple. For $3 and 15 minutes, I was able to make my own ink bottle reservoirs using syringes. I got the idea from this post, and I'd recommend it to others: http://m.imgur.com/a/BcoI6

Well, it turned out that the solution was pretty simple. For $3 and 15 minutes, I was able to make my own ink bottle reservoirs using syringes. I got the idea from this post, and I'd recommend it to others: http://m.imgur.com/a/BcoI6

One of the coolest things I have seen on FPN.

Just a little recomendation. Put a blunt needle onto the converter before filling directly whith it. That way you don't need to clean it.

In spite of us living in the Golden Age of inks, there are some to many that are worth buying again.

Especially if you have lucked out into a 'perfect' match of nib width/flex and paper to go with that ink.

So pouring the remains of an ink into a new in is good, if you like it.

If not...then why worry about the last few drops....empty and wash it....one always saves the glass ink bottles....just in case. ;)

You might take up ink mixing as a hobby.

As mentioned old Sheafers bottles or shoe MB bottles are worth having.

There is also the part of "how far down the Noodler's 4.5 oz bottle do I go" for either an incomplete fill or an unusually messy pen.

I'm sure this is very cool, but the link only opens half the images even after a 10 minute wait. I would so like to see how its done. :angry:

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

Temporarily allow java scripts for the site to load the rest of the pictures.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi