Pen Review: Kaweco Dia2, Dual Review

Chrissy

Kaweco Dia2 Dual Review

My friend Laura and I thought it would be fun to do a dual review of a fountain pen. Kaweco loaned each of us a Dia2 with chrome trim. Laura used a steel EF nib, and a 14ct gold BB nib.

I used a steel M nib. I also tested it with a steel 1.1mm nib and a 14ct gold F nib.

We posted the full review, with more thoughts and pictures, on Laura's blog here but we also want to show you highlights from our review here on FPN. We hope you enjoy reading it. :)

1. Appearance and Design.

Laura: It’s based on a traditional design from the 1930s. I love the chrome-colored trim, the shiny black resin and the knurled rings on the end of the cap and barrel that date from the original Dia. And the shape of the clip is gorgeous.

Chris: The Dia2 is a full length pen based on a classic 1930’s Art Deco design. It comes with either chrome or gold trim. The cap has 2 decorative inlaid chrome bands at the base.

fpn_1449246658__kaweco_dia2_006a.jpg

fpn_1449247133__kaweco_dia2_007a2.jpg

fpn_1449246977__kaweco_dia2_002a.jpg

fpn_1449247045__kaweco_dia2_011a.jpg

2. Construction and Quality.

Laura: The Dia2 feels very nicely built. The barrel screws firmly onto the section and a spring-loaded feature inside assures you that the cartridges are firmly in place.

Chris: Everything about the Dia2 suggests a high quality pen. It is not a flimsy, lightweight, pen in your hand, as the barrel has inner brass screw threads that give it a good balanced feel. The highly polished black CNC acrylic has cleanly cut and smooth screw threads.

You insert one cartridge into the section, and a spare inside the barrel. The spring loading is reassurance that the cartridge won’t fall out.

fpn_1449246853__kaweco_dia2_009a.jpg

3. Weight and Dimensions.

Weight of pen capped: 27.8 grams (inked with cartridge). Weight of body only: 18.6 grams (inked).

Length: Body only, unposted: 12.5 cm or about 5 inches. Posted: 16 cm or just over 6¼ inches. Capped and closed: almost 13.5 cm or 5¼ inches.

Laura: I used the Dia2 unposted, and found it to be a nice full sized pen, that feels balanced and comfortable in the hand, even for longer writing sessions.

Chris: I only used it unposted, and it felt comfortable in my hand. It might feel slightly unbalanced if posted.

4. Nib and Performance.

Laura: The Dia2 uses the same nib units as used on the AL-Sport. The steel EF is smooth, with a touch of feedback, and no flex, but it doesn’t feel stiff. It’s excellent for fast writing and just how I like a nib. I tried the gold BB nib, but didn’t find that improved the writing experience for me. I think the Kaweco steel nibs give a lot of bang for the buck, and I’m very happy with them.

Chris: You can choose from threaded steel calligraphy nibs, black steel nibs, or gold nibs.

I found my M steel nib had a dry flow. When I swapped in the gold F nib I found the flow was much better with a softer writing experience.

I found the nib size looked slightly small in the pen, and I felt it could easily have handled a slightly larger nib, but it didn’t make that much difference to me.

fpn_1449247767__kaweco_dia2_nibsa.jpg

5. Filling System and Maintenance.

Laura: I used the Dia2 extensively, but with cartridges only because I did not have a converter that fits. I like cartridges but would have liked a converter as well.

Chris: I used cartridges in the Dia2, because I have been using them in the Sport pens that I’ve been reviewing. However, Kaweco also sent me a KW23846 converter that fits it, as none of my International sized converters would stay in properly. The twist action converter that fits the Dia2 is different to the squeeze converter that fits the Sport pens.

fpn_1449247900__kaweco_dia2_013a.jpg

6. Cost and Value.

Laura: This is the only rub for me. In the US, the Dia2 in chrome sells for about $100, which puts it up in the highest range among steel-nib pens. The converter that fits the Dia2 is an additional $4. That is around the same price as a Pelikan M200, which is a similar steel-nib German pen. I think the Dia2 looks like more of a premium pen. It has much nicer trim, it feels more solid and it’s a bigger pen. The Dia2 feels like a grown-up’s pen.

Chris: In the UK, Cult Pens sell the Dia2 Chrome for £72 and the Dia2 Gold for £92. You also need to add £3 for the converter. Pelikan M205’s cost £90 and the M200 costs £120.

If you wanted to have the Dia2 with a gold nib then you are adding at least a further £99 to the UK price. So the price would then be comparable with the Lamy 2000 Makrolon FP. I actually prefer the shiny black classic and more traditional finish of the Dia2, and feel that it is a higher quality pen overall.

7. Conclusion.

Laura: I really liked this pen. It’s a full-size pen with traditional looks, that feels very well-made. I’m a big fan of the steel EF nib. The Dia2’s only drawback, for me, is that it’s on the expensive side. And I think it should come with a converter.

Chris: I like it’s size and high quality, as well as it’s looks and performance. However, I wouldn’t be able to live with the chrome pen fitted with a yellow gold nib, and the gold trim version or the two-tone gold nib make it significantly more expensive. I also think Kaweco need to include a converter with the pen for the sake of the insignificant additional price.

N.B. Kaweco kindly sent me the two-tone 14ct gold nib to try it with, and I think it looks much better than the monotone gold nib. I'm adding a couple of pictures to show this nib.

fpn_1449935375__kaweco_dia2_0025a.jpg

fpn_1449935392__kaweco_dia2_0027a.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• tinta

• wastelanded

• TheDutchGuy

I would own one if not for the tiny nib. Kaweco is terrible about this.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I've had the chrome/steel F nibbed version for about three years and really disliked it. So, I've not used it. However, since I recently thought I'd try Baystate Blue, I decided to try it in the Dia 2 and WOW, an excellent partnership. Not too wet; starts first time; no visible staining - it's a black pen anyway and the lurid blue line is just about right.

I agree the nib is small and one day I might try the EF one as they are really cheap to buy, but for the time being, the two will stay together. Incidentally, mine did come with a Kaweco-branded converter but I've not tried other types, such as the Faber Castell ones, which I think are some of the best of the lot out there. Theoretically, if an International cartridge fits, the so should another converter.

Nice review ladies, and I would seriously suggest that more people consider these well-made pens - they are definitely worth a look.

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Nice review. The Dia2 is one of my daily journal writers, filled with the good old Pelikan blue-black, it writes on pretty much any paper without problems. I use the gold trim/nib. Actually, I put gold plated nibs on all my KaWeCo's. For some reason they perform much better than the steel version, even though technically they should be identical. Mine came with a converter and I had to remove the annoying spring in the barrel. For the rest, one of the best pens in the price-range.

I've had the chrome/steel F nibbed version for about three years and really disliked it. So, I've not used it. However, since I recently thought I'd try Baystate Blue, I decided to try it in the Dia 2 and WOW, an excellent partnership. Not too wet; starts first time; no visible staining - it's a black pen anyway and the lurid blue line is just about right.

I agree the nib is small and one day I might try the EF one as they are really cheap to buy, but for the time being, the two will stay together. Incidentally, mine did come with a Kaweco-branded converter but I've not tried other types, such as the Faber Castell ones, which I think are some of the best of the lot out there.

Theoretically, if an International cartridge fits, the so should another converter.

Nice review ladies, and I would seriously suggest that more people consider these well-made pens - they are definitely worth a look.

Thank you for your comments about our review.

I tried a couple of different International converters and they just didn't locate firmly enough. So I didn't even screw the barrel back on. You should also bear in mind that the spring inside the barrel is going to locate onto the converter, so it needs to fit, and that there is clearly something inside the barrel that keeps the spring in place when you use cartridges. So I think it definitely needs the Kaweco converter rather than any other model.

I just got the Dia 2 in silver trim a few days ago. Have to agree the pen is solid and the acrylic cap and barrel gives the pen substance when you hold it. I really like the classic and vintage looks of the pen with the knurled pill bottle shaped cap top. Love the white "Kaweco Dia" inscription on the cap opposite the clip. The nib on mine is a broad and has some stubbish qualities. The pen looks and feels more expensive than it is in my opinion.

Mine came supplied with a Kaweco piston screw type converter but I had issues with with it getting a reliable ink flow. No issues when using the cartridge. Fortunately the Visconti converter (from my Rembrandt) fits and works perfectly. If you want a converter for this pen, get a Visconti converter instead, as the Kaweco one does not work well. Interestingly the Faber Castell converter which looks very similar to the Visconti does not fit securely in the Kaweco.

Edited by max dog

I too have owned one of these for about four years: one of my first fountain pens upon getting back into this racket, and still one of my faves. Great balance, and quality build. And as mentioned, nibs are not expensive, so one can have a selection of widths for different moods.

For the price, I think it's miles above the M200, which feels like a toy in comparison (I do own both).

ETA: I rudely forgot to say, excellent review! Love the dual viewpoints.

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Regarding converters, my Dia came to me with a Schmidt K1 in the tin, which fit perfectly fine. I did buy one of the Kaweco "deluxe" converters, which are identical to the Monteverde ones and those one can buy from China very cheaply by the dozen. The good thing about this style of converter is that it can be completely disassembled for cleaning.

A Jinhao converter, however, would not go in.

I feel one of the positives of this pen is the long metal sleeve which surrounds the installed cartridge or converter. Too many pens have almost no support for whatever ink reservoir is installed, and the thing practically falls loose in the barrel.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

wow such a clear and crisp review ... with dual opinion... I love it ...

pics are bonus... I really like the pen... but the price factor is coming in between....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I too have owned one of these for about four years: one of my first fountain pens upon getting back into this racket, and still one of my faves. Great balance, and quality build. And as mentioned, nibs are not expensive, so one can have a selection of widths for different moods.

For the price, I think it's miles above the M200, which feels like a toy in comparison (I do own both).

ETA: I rudely forgot to say, excellent review! Love the dual viewpoints.

That wasn't rude, and I'm glad you liked it. You're welcome :)

wow such a clear and crisp review ... with dual opinion... I love it ... pics are bonus... I really like the pen... but the price factor is coming in between....

It was an experiment, and we both really enjoyed doing it. Thank you. :)

Some will find this pen more expensive than they want to pay.

Today my black/chrome Dia2 with ss. BB nib arrived from Wonderpens in Toronto. A Kaweco branded converter (easily taken apart) was included.

I'm a happy man,... the Dia2 + custom stub project is on its way. Hopefully all my plans will come together soon.

I also have a 14K BB nib-unit arriving from Cult Pens. This wide tipped nib will be a good candidate for customization into an edged nib. Before I send my new Dia2 + nib off to Pendleton Brown to be stubbed, I'd like to find out how well this gold double-broad nib writes (out of the box).

Unfortunately, the stainless BB nib that came with my pen was disappointing (out of the box). Though its tines were aligned & there seemed to be enough space between them for adequate ink flow, this nib did not lay down much ink on the paper. I tried to write using different angles & writing pressures... it was no use.

Even after flushing with dilute detergent + RO water rinse, then weak ammonia solution & multiple RO water rinses using a bulb, the Waterman b/b ink still did not flow evenly.

A spring inside the bottom of the barrel seemed to interfere with the converter as I started to unscrewed the section, to inspect my ink supply. The quick application of a tissue saved the day & the top of my desk.

Wonder if there's a way of removing this spring, without damaging the pen or the spring itself?

I seldom use cartridges for which this spring must have been designed. A good thing though, this spring prevents the converter from rattling inside the barrel, like all my international K5 units.

After having related my "good news-bad news" story, I mustn't forget to thank the original posters, for their thorough & insightful reviews.

Would be good to see such "dual" reviews in the future.

The decision to order my Dia2 & the nib for customization was partly based on these excellent reviews of this fine Kaweco pen.

To add: No affiliation to any businesses above.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

My wife bought one of these for me for Christmas in 2014. I like the pen, and find it to be very well made. A nice, solid feel to the pen. I think that the quality puts it in a class with much more expensive pens.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

An update on the extraction of a coil spring from the bottom of my new Dia2 pen's barrel:

I tried to knock out this spring, so that I can use the Kaweco's converter. The spring did not move. None of my tweezers or hemostats would reach completely down the barrel.

A size # 1.25 crochet hook sat on my fly-tying table :eureka: (a tool I often use to make tiny monofilament loops).

I stuck this hook deep into the Dia2 barrel, then let it rotate & rattle around a bit. The hook seemed to catch something, then give way.

All of a sudden the coil spring slid out of the barrel.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

The spring came out of the barrel on the plunger of the Kaweco branded converter when I used bottled ink in my test. I just screwed the barrel back on and it went in again properly.

I have owned one of these for the last year and agree that the design, fit and finish are excellent - except that I prefer to post my pens and the shallow post of this model's cap drives me nuts. My experience of the nibs has been good (I own a medium and fine, both steel), although I actually prefer the character of the gold plated steel nib on my Sport classic. As for the Kaweco converter, I have also found mine to be finicky and I try to stick with cartridges.

An underrated part of this pen (and Kaweco pens generally) is the grip section - it's a perfect shape and size and my fingers love it.