L'etalon Ears

teuneu

Hello all!

This week I bought a Waterman L'Etalon in blue (I'm really bad in names for colors) pretty cheap and it is in practically mint condition. It is not in fully mint condition since it doesn't include the ears that keep the cap in place. The previous owner couldn't tell me how these got lost and based on the conversations I had with them, they don't know much about fountain pens. When I take the gold plated ring off, it looks like the ears-ring is the only part missing. I emailed Waterman about getting a spare part. They can't help me, because the L'Etalon is too old. Now I turn to this wonderful forum and my question to you all is: Does anybody know how to get Waterman spare parts or does anybody has a spare part like this? Plan C is to acquire a drawing and make the part myself. It's a wonderful pen and I really would like to take it outside my house. This is slightly hard now since the cap is falling off.

Thanks a lot as always!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teuneu

• RMN

• Left FPN

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed they are nice pens.

These small parts are quite specific, and if Sanford does not have them any more.....

I think the DIY option is a good bet.

My advice is to post this as well in the "Repair Q&A" forum.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I don't understand what you mean by the term 'ears'. Whatever is lost from the pen isn't called ears. So first we need to find out what is missing from your pen.

Is something missing out of the cap that keeps the cap on the pen? Or is something missing off the pen that holds the cap onto the pen?

This is a push on cap, and it pushes onto a gold band on the pen. Is that gold band completely missing or is it so badly worn that it won't hold the cap on?

The only person I know who might possibly have the parts you need would be 'Dutchpen' and he's a member on here so you could send him a PM.

Thanks all so far! I'll post the question in Repair Q&A as well. That was probably also a better location at first. Sorry for that.

Chrissy, by ears I mean the part shown in the picture below. This isn't my pen because I have it at home and I'm in the office now. I can remove the barrel from the threaded section and then remove the gold plated ring that slides over the threaded section. Now a small slit of 180 degrees and 1 mm wide appears that probably holds the 'ears'-part in place. Once you slit the gold plated ring back on, only the thingies on each side are shown.

The cap is push-on and it slides over the gold ring. The small parts shown below are a bit wider than the ring itself and therefore the cap is hold in place once it is capped. Now this part is missing and thus the cap can slide off the ring, because nothing is holding it in place.

I'll contact Dutchpen when I get back home. Thanks a lot!

Ears%20etalon.jpg

Dutchpen might be a good idea.

Looking at my l'Etalon:

I think what you need is a metal spring in U-form with 2 prongs. These prongs sit in the 2 tiny slits that are at 180 dgr opposite in the metal part of the section just on the border of the resin part.

Similar to the ears on a LAMY2000

D.ick

~

~

Thanks D.ick! I have a Lamy 2000 as well and I was assuming it was basically the same kind of part. I'm going to visit the metal shop soon for a nice metal spring. I will first contact Dutchpen for the real deal :). Thanks a lot all! Hopefully the L'Etalon leaves my house soon!

It will be a spring similar to the Carene.

You may have to buy a complete grip or section to get one as you do with the Carene.

I have a section which I tried to get apart to remove the hardware and no matter what I did, heat and soaking, it would not budge.

Dutchpen has gold sections, EF, F & L for sale at very cheap prices in the Classifieds. Probably better to buy a new one and just swap the compete thing.

Edited by Force

That is really helpful! I have a Carene as well (it's leaking liters of ink, so I hardly use it) and maybe I can ask Waterman to send a spare spring then. I don't know whether they send spare parts (don't think so). I can try with my Carene spring first. I was planning on buying a stub nib for my Carene, so maybe that's a good reason to get a new section anyway :D.

That is really helpful! I have a Carene as well (it's leaking liters of ink, so I hardly use it) and maybe I can ask Waterman to send a spare spring then. I don't know whether they send spare parts (don't think so). I can try with my Carene spring first. I was planning on buying a stub nib for my Carene, so maybe that's a good reason to get a new section anyway :D.

No, the Carene spring is smaller.

Right.. that was stupid thinking of me. I'll ask Dutchpen anyway tonight. Thanks again. This forum is soooo useful!

EDIT: Thanks for that link. It is very useful and I contacted the guy. 60 USD for a section is cheaper than I expected!

Edited by teuneu

Problem solved! I contacted Dutchpen and the communication is really good. Soon I'll have a new nib unit + section underway. It was a good moment to go for an extra fine. I have already quite some EDCs that have larger nibs and I was looking for something more fine. I really recommend Dutchpen! Thanks a lot to everybody that contributed to this topic.

Thanks to you too for mentioning him Chrissy! I need some parts for other pens as well and having a 'part supplier' this close (we live both in the Netherlands) is just heaven. I have a Carene in the same color as the Etalon and heaving both as a couple in a pen sleeve will be great!

Klein landje, maar o wee! Grote daden!

D.ick

~

~