Calling All Omas Experts - What Are The Differences Between These?

Precise

I have several Omas fountain pens, and several more inbound. But I need the help from you Omas experts. Here are some questions:

What are the differences between:

Milord

Arte Italiana

Paragon (the version with resin section)

Furthermore, I'm confused that the same name applies to models with capped length of 5.3" and 5.6".

I buy mostly on ebay and am constantly asking sellers how long their pen is.

What are the differences between:

Amerigo Vespucci

Looking forward to your help.

Alan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Precise

• freeboy

• jar

• katanankes

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 2 Paragons, one faceted and one plain, and they are the same length. My understanding is that modern Milord pens are shorter. If ebay sellers don't mention whether a pen is a Milord or a Paragon, then it could be that they just don't know enough about pens.

Ok, basically you are asking clarifications about Omas terminology. It is indeed a bit a mess! This is my view based on years of collecting Omas, from vintage to recent.

Pre-II war

Extra: first models with 12 facets (dodecagonal). If not mistaken, introduced in 1932.

Extra Lucens: with translucent celluloid

Lucens: round model with translucent celluloid

(No name) round model

Each of these pens could come in different sizes, usually small (around 11cm), medium (around 13 cm) and oversize (around 14cm). These at least were the main models. I mention because you find these names in some recent and less recent limited editions.

After the war till 70s...

Impossible to address all the variations, but you find introduced the term Milord for medium size 12 facets pens and the term Gentlemen for the oversize. At the same time, you also find the numeric indication 555 (small), 556 (medium), 557 (oversize). The number comes with a letter: F (12 facets) and S (round). In this period they also produced other faceted pens, namely the 361 (two function nib, one side flexible and one side stiff). In the 70s I believe that the traditional series was almost discontinued (not 100% sure about it) in favor of slim metal pens (like Rinascimento) and the ugly 71 and 72 (that were indeed facets, not remember how many facets however).

From 80s to 2005

The term ARTE ITALIANA was introduced to indicate the revival of the old collections, but this time in vegetal resin, not celluloid. My understanding is that the term was mainly associated with the dodecagonal pens. So ARTE ITALIANA indicates a product line, not a single product or size. You can find the 557-F named Paragon in some boxes and the round ones are officially named Ogiva in the corporate literature. You continue to see the usage of the 555, 556 and 557 codes to indicate the three main sizes that are now pretty much standardized, with 13.4 cm for the Milord / 556-F and around 14 for the Paragon (the big Ogiva is a little longer). A small piece of curiosity: the first thousands pens of this new run came with a unique number also repeated on the accompanying papers. This numbering was discontinued (I guess at around 5,000 since I never saw any numbered pen above that). You also find the usage of the term "1930" to indicate the smallest pens. In the 90s Omas also started to reintroduce fabulous celluloid faceted pens, mostly Paragon size. Finally, to make things more confusing some early full size dodecagonal pens were called Gentleman (singular!).

Current production

In 2005 LVMH management overhauled the main product line: the Paragon (still facet) became huge (I do not have the measurements, I guess close to 15 cm), the Milord got closer to 14 (like old Paragons...) and some smaller sizes are also produced. The Ogiva series was discontinued (instead they introduced the Bologna, an ogival shape pen with flat top initially introduced on the 80th anniversary in 2005... Bologna is home town to Omas). Starting in 2012 If I recall correctly, Omas started to introduce in the market a plethora of limited edition Paragon size celluloid pens (mostly for the North American market). These Paragons were named Vintage since they were similar if not identical to the ones produced before 2005. By the way, you also find a few celluloid new Paragon (i.e. wild and arco celluloid) and more recently also the Ogiva has been re-introduced.

Finally, Amerigo Vespucci was a special edition that run a few years, inspired to the Ogiva (round shape) and produced in biarwood from 1989 to mid Ninties (the production year is engraved on the section). The pens was commemorating the decommission of the Amerigo Vespucci, an iconic training ship in use in the Italian navy since 1931. The luxury box came wrapped in a piece of sail coming from the Vespucci itself. While not a limited edition, I doubt they produced too many since it was a very expensive pen for that time (it would be 1,500 euro at current values). They also produced ballpoints, roller balls, and mechanical pencils in the same material.

Edited by katanankes

And yes, many sellers omit to indicate the size that is an essential piece of information to distinguish between models since in many cases there are no explicit marks!

one last thing! The filling system...

Paragons (that we have established is the term for the oversize 12-facets model) are always piston filler. Milords from the 80s can also be C/C. And some comes with a special cartridge slide (called traveller) that preclude the possibility to use a converter, so only cartridges. So if it is a Milord on sale, it is wise to ask for the filling system. Just in case!

It gets even more confusing since the term Paragon and Gentleman were both used for 557 size vegital resin 12 sided pens at the same time. The difference was that the Gentleman did not have the Greek Key band on the pen body.

The modern Milord is even bigger than the earlier Paragon.

http://www.fototime.com/368F86F721487D0/xlarge.jpg

Left to right:620, 557/S, old style Milord, old style Paragon, new style Milord, 360, 360 Mezzo.

Also, 555, 556, 557 were used for both the Ogival and Faceted models but followed by 557/F for Faceted and 557/S for the Smooth. As with the Gentleman/Paragon distinction two smooth versions were sold at the same time, the Ogiva like the gentleman with only a band on the cap and only a single band instead of the one wide two narrow on the cap while the 557/S had the triple with the bands on cap and section.

My Website

Many thanks to katanankes and jar. Whew! This is a complex situation indeed.

A question for all: What are the differences between the 557-S and the Amerigo Vespucci?

A question for jar:

Perhaps it's just the angle of view, but your blue 557-S looks longer than your 360 Mezzo. Mine are opposite of that.

Here some capped lengths of my pens:

360 Mezzo = 149.7mm

557-S = 146.0 mm

Old Milord M = 135.9mm

Old Milord EF = 135.5mm

Regards,

Alan

One major difference between the 557s and the Vespucci is that the 557S is resin while the Vespucci is made of briar, stained to a beautiful cherry color. It has a resin section, since wood in that area could become discolored from ink absorption.

The Vespucci was a Limited Edition, with more elaborate packaging.

I am not quite sure, but I believe the Vespucci is a little longer than the 557S.

Following are pictures of the Vespucci.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B3670EE82-84E5-4136-A888-321A3DCA2217%7D/sspict/640/exp=f&modt=42168.652265081/19a.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BED39AA6E-CC8D-4841-BB1D-D3262D3149BF%7D/sspict/640/exp=f&modt=42168.6522811806&ssdyn=1/19b.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7B5F69BAF0-6778-40DA-B086-00152A8992D2%7D/sspict/640/exp=f&modt=42168.652295463&ssdyn=1/19c.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BFE20FC46-260F-4C6A-8F4F-096D0AB5A239%7D/sspict/640/exp=f&modt=42168.6523504282&ssdyn=1/19g.JPG

Many thanks to katanankes and jar. Whew! This is a complex situation indeed.

A question for all: What are the differences between the 557-S and the Amerigo Vespucci?

A question for jar:

Perhaps it's just the angle of view, but your blue 557-S looks longer than your 360 Mezzo. Mine are opposite of that.

Here some capped lengths of my pens:

360 Mezzo = 149.7mm

557-S = 146.0 mm

Old Milord M = 135.9mm

Old Milord EF = 135.5mm

Regards,

Alan

My Mezzo is 139mm.

The 557/S is 143mm. (two samples, one blue, one green)

old style Milords (both bow tie and roller clip) 136mm.

old style bow tie and also a roller clip resin Paragons 144mm

Reminds me of the manual on my boat tailed Alfa 1750 Duetto which pointed out that it had either Weber or Dellorto carbs and worm & Roller or recirculating ball steering.

Also, the Ogival ones have the triple banding on the cap but no banding on the body while the sales material shows as described in the post up above.

My Website

Reminds me of the manual on my boat tailed Alfa 1750 Duetto which pointed out that it had either Weber or Dellorto carbs and worm & Roller or recirculating ball steering.

Some us pen guys like watches too. I've received instruction books with watches which covered a dozen different movements but none were the movement in the watch I bought.

There was a scene in Moscow on Hudson where people are lined up outside a Moscow store and Robbin Williams asks what they are waiting for. A woman answered, "I don't know, but I'm hoping it's either chickens or toilet paper".

Alan

PS What does "Extremely Rare" above my bird photo mean?

I took this photo in Palo Alto. The hawk allowed me to come so close that I was worried that it was ill.

Alan

Edited by Precise

Extremely Rare is your "Rank" based on your number of posts. If you click those little dots that appear below your picture you can see all the different ones. katanankes did a great job explaining the differences but I will add that when you get into the older faceted pens the models from the 30s and 40s were bigger than the ones from the 50s...anyways it's always a challenge with OMAS to figure out what is what.

OMAS 360 FLANGE FELL OFF

I received an Omas 360 Magnum (6.3" long) yesterday, a recent ebay purchase. The flange at the end of the section fell off. Under microscope examination, I was surprised to see that it was a separate part which was glued on. It is not integral to the section/barrel. This part is grabbed by the click fingers inside the push-pull cap. So every time the cap is pulled, the flange is tugged.

Have you ever heard of this happening? My google search has not found it.

Best,

Alan

Edited by Precise

• 1 month later...

its like some one said; "lets mess things up and name pens different things over and over"... lol

The NEW pens .. Paragon and Milord very similar with one big difference other than the size.. the metal front section and piston in the Paragon and the matching color to the Barrel and cc in the Milord.. on the CURRENT ones.... also the price as the Milords are about 200$ less street price.

On the older ones its a very interesting game of what pen at what year.... good luck, had a nice and great deal on a new Paragon get killed by my lusting after a 360! Triangle hummm gotta love that

Good luck and both the new Milord and Paragon have gotten VERY positive feedback, but of course they are Omas pens!

Edited by freeboy

I've read that Omas does not make their own nibs, yet they write extra sweetly.

I've gradually accumulated 10 Omas pens. All but one were bought because they seemed like a bargain on ebay. Many had problems. I've gotten most of them working well, but a few still resist my best efforts.

Ironically, my only new Omas (Ogiva) is currently awaiting warranty repair at John Mottishaw's shop. I bought it from Novelli because Mottishaw was out of stock. It arrived an unusable gappy nib, which I fixed myself. Then the piston knob started leaking. Novelli arranged for John to repair it. You might say this new pen came with two strikes against it. We deserve better from this highly regarded and expensive brand.

Well, we deserve better but at the same time, they are a unique value and I see these bumps as the cost of owning a unique hand made product...

I agree with you.... but how much more would you pay against an already expensive price to have another person on staff at Omas to hand check every pen? At some point errors are going to happen... in any production line.....

Glad they are working to make it right and WRITE .. pun intended.. and again good luck and please let us know when u get it back....

Precise... What I read...

Omas hand tunes each nib after receiving them from the source... sorry I cannot find the reference off hand...

That is some weirdness with the 360, hope it all goes back together and works..Is it still a pen you are attempting to fix....?

Funny that one is still on my bucket list .. and older 360 in black... please do let us know how it turns out..

regards,

Matthew

Regarding to the inquiry about the 360 which lost its flange.

I tested a dozen adhesives which would not stick well to this material. I tested by putting a tiny dot of adhesive on the face of the flange that would eventually be hidden when it was joined to the section. Then, after the adhesive cured, I peeled it off.

Well into this project, Omas recommended epoxy. But I have a lot of experience with epoxy and it is well known that it does not bond well to thermoplastics (which is the material of the flange and section).

After many tries, I found that Loctite 410 (black toughened cyanoacrylate) with 770 primer bonded well. I masked the section adjacent to the bond with masking tape and glued the pieces together. (My pen is black, but if I had to glue a colored pen, I'd use Loctite 411, which is a clear version of this adhesive). I believe that this pen is now very secure.

After it was glued, I discovered that the grip of the three tongs in the cap was tenacious. That's likely what pulled the flange off in the first place. (I have another 360 which has three notches in the flange, presumably dug by the same tenacious tongs in the cap). I modified the tongs for a moderate grip.

I've been using this pen frequently for several months. It's my favorite and most-used pen because it writes sweetly, fits my grip superbly, and the cap clicks off more quickly than my screw-cap pens.

Alan

PS to freeboy who has a 360 on his list:

I love the triangular grip, but only after rotating the nib about 20 to 30 degrees counter-clockwise. I've written about that elsewhere on FPN.

Edited by Precise