New Recommendation

OhDavidBowie

Hello everyone. I've been interested in fountain pens for about a year now. I've been lurking the forum for a while too, and I've decided to become a member. I'm looking for a recommendation, for a pen with a gold nib, that's under $200.

I have so far a Lamy 2000, Pilot Vanishing Point, and Pilot Custom 74. I was looking at a Sailor 1911, but I wanted some other options. Thanks everyone for reading.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OhDavidBowie

• redbike

• Arkanabar

• FOUR X FOUR

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my eye on a Pelikan. What size is the m400? Compared to those I've listed, anyway. Size doesn't matter that much to me, really. Thanks for the reply!

M400 is about 127 mm capped. (~5") a bit longer if you post.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have all of your 4 options. The best all around is the Custon 74. The vanishing point is the most fun, Both of these are very high quality.

HLW III

/Users/harrywarren/Desktop/IMG_0742.JPG

The Pilot Falcon is definitely on my watch list. I found a Pelikan M400 for about $225 and I think I'm going for it. What else is there at this price range? I feel like that's about it as far as I know

The Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe has a 14kt gold nib. The non-"deluxe" model has a steel nib. Based on what you have a Pelikan or the Pilot Falcon might offer a more unique writing experience though looks-wise they are not as nice.

The other option could be a Waterman Charleston. I have had one of these for over 10 years and it's a great writer with an 18kt gold nib.

A vintage Parker Vacumatic :-)

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I recently got a Pilot Justus 95 for about $200, though I had to order it from Japan. It seemed like all the US sellers I checked had it at for about $300 instead. It has a 14k gold nib with adjustable tension -- there's a little bar on top of the nib that slides up and down to make the nib feel harder or softer. It's an interesting feature and one that IMO makes this almost like having multiple pens in one, but how useful it actually is probably depends on the individual. Still, it may be worth considering because of that feature.

Lots of really nice vintage options in that range. Check out the Classifieds. I have no connection to any of the sellers, but all look like nice pens from reputable members.

This one

And this one

This too

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

Hmm, I've never bought a vintage pen before but that Pelikan is calling to me. It'll have to wait until I get paid this Friday, but I think I'm going for it. Edited by OhDavidBowie

Hmm, I've never bought a vintage pen before but that Pelikan is calling to me. It'll have to wait until I get paid this Friday, but I think I'm going for it.

Another convert! I was looking at that one too, but will refrain.

Hmm, I've never bought a vintage pen before but that Pelikan is calling to me. It'll have to wait until I get paid this Friday, but I think I'm going for it.

My advice......Snatch it before it "flies"!!!!:)

CAVEAT!! Pelikans have a tendency to "breed" quickly! If this becomes your FIRST "bird"....it likely will NOT be the LAST!!;)

Always try to get the dibs...on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

My advice......Snatch it before it "flies"!!!!:)

CAVEAT!! Pelikans have a tendency to "breed" quickly! If this becomes your FIRST "bird"....it likely will NOT be the LAST!!;)

Always try to get the dibs...on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Well, that's hilarious. I enjoyed that more than I feel like I should have. As much as I want it to fly into my pocket, it'll have to wait until at least Friday.

Another plug for the Pilot Custom 74, but you may also look at the Custom 92, and the Platinum 3776 Centuries are awesome.

I've been very interested in the Platinum 3776, but I believe in receiving one as a gift. What's the difference between the Custom 92 and the 91?

I've been very interested in the Platinum 3776, but I believe in receiving one as a gift. What's the difference between the Custom 92 and the 91?

Custom 92 is a piston filler, Custom 91 takes a CON-70.

Custom 92 come with normal nibs, Custom 91 offers soft nibs.

Custom 92 is a demo, Custom 91 are solid colours.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Well I love my 74,and I do love demonstrators. Given the two, which one is more recommended: The Pilot Falcon, or the 91/92?

Edited by OhDavidBowie

I prefer the the Pilot 912 over the Sailor 1991L. Even better is the Pilot 823 which sometimes goes for around 200. It is a big step up from the pens you list in my opinion and well worth the cost.