Can't Make Up My Mind! Pilot Custom 74, Ch91, Ch92 Or Platinum 3776

AndyYNWA

No idea where @Moynihan is getting his answers. A Pilot F would never be anything close to a Lamy F.

I was writing about my own experience with the SF on the Pilots I mentioned that i use. But i will defer to your opinion. BTW my Pilot Falcon SF writes without pressure life a German fine. But your experience is inline with the general view, so it is probably more accurate.

My most used "daily writers" are Pilot "soft" nibs (Falcon/elabo sef, sf; and sf, sfm on custom 74, 91, 742, 743) i am of the opinion that extended use of these nibs "softens" them from their outta the box character.

Edited by Moynihan

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• Algester

• Peppers

• Moynihan

I thought Falcon nibs wrote finer than the standard Pilot gold nibs, without applying pressure that is.

The picture Peppers posted show less width difference between the Lamy steel F and the Falcon SF than I thought it would be.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Hope this helps as well :lol:

Is the Platinum M a hair thicker than Pilot M? I am assuming both are gold.

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

Is the Platinum M a hair thicker than Pilot M? I am assuming both are gold.

If you enlarge the picture, the Platinum M looks slightly thinner than Pilot M (I'm also assuming both are gold).

Pilot FM seems to have about the same line width as Metropolitan M.

I guess a Pilot SFM will give me the line width I'm looking for (somewhere between Lamy steel F and Metropolitan M), maybe also Platinum M.

Pilot gold M seems to have the same width as Lamy steel F.

YNWA - JFT97

BTW

Which of these pens are your favourite(s)?

Hmm.. If the decision were to be based purely off nib alone, I would choose a Pilot medium or soft fine. They all definitely look and feel different. The demonstrators I like end up costing me more too.. :rolleyes:

If I had to choose one in that price range I'd choose the 92 in an FM or M nib, but then again I like demonstrators. Looks and feel of the pen are important too.

23735221995_3d21f36cd7_o.jpgWriting Sample 2 by Simon Chong, on Flickr

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a dark blue Custom 74 medium. I got a good price and thought I could try a medium nib and then decide if it's too broad and/or too stiff for my future CH91 purchase.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Hmm.. If the decision were to be based purely off nib alone, I would choose a Pilot medium or soft fine. They all definitely look and feel different. The demonstrators I like end up costing me more too.. :rolleyes:

If I had to choose one in that price range I'd choose the 92 in an FM or M nib, but then again I like demonstrators. Looks and feel of the pen are important too.

23735221995_3d21f36cd7_o.jpgWriting Sample 2 by Simon Chong, on Flickr

May I ask what ink is the turquoise in the Platinum 3776? Edited by Shaggy

My Custom 74 with medium nib arrived today. I writes perfectly straight out of the box.

The line width is almost identical to Lamy steel medium, maybe a hair thinner.

YNWA - JFT97

• 1 month later...

necro bump sorry .... just want to say thanks for all the writing sample. I am about to click on the [bUY] button but what is stopping me are which NIBS to get !!! (i still can't decide even after seeing all those sample here).

i am collecting a lot of demonstrators but main focus here are currently on the TWSBI 580AL and Pilot Custom 92 which is going to be my EDC and my absolute tolerance line width and wetness is nothing more than a western medium. This is because its going to be my EDC for work, play, scribble, etc ... so which nib size should i go for both said pens ?

currently i am thinking (based on those samples here) to go;
- TWSBI 580AL --> somewhere between EF and F (since TWSBI uses JOWO steel nibs which is german thus is western type)

- custom 92 --> leaning towards FM but F seems suitable too

oh by the way i can write any handwriting form but i very much prefer the normal roman mix a bit of italic.

Crystal Clear Demonstrators are such marvels, each with their set of stories clearly written out for all to feast on.

I guess it depends on your handwriting. However, the wider you go, the smoother the nib will feel.

The medium is slightly finer than a Western medium, maybe 3/5 - 3/4 of the width.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

• 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression that the Pilot nibs were one step thinner than the western equivalent....? Or are the custom 74 and 323 nibs for that matter, more or less a near equivalent of a western nib?

Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm..................

I was under the impression that the Pilot nibs were one step thinner than the western equivalent....? Or are the custom 74 and 323 nibs for that matter, more or less a near equivalent of a western nib?

After I increased the flow in my Custom 74 Medium (it had som skipping) the line is more or less like a western Medium. The Fine on the other hand shall be more like a Japanese Fine, if I'm not misinformed (correct me if I'm wrong). However, you also have the Fine-Medium and the soft nibs, so you should be able to find the line width that suits you.

My Custom 74 Medium is slightly too broad for me, hence my next Pilot will probably be a Soft-Fine-Medium or a Fine-Medium.

YNWA - JFT97

I've read a lot of reviews on here that range from Pilot nibs being a bit dry to them being too wet. My own experience is that they are a bit on the wet side if you compare them to Sailor nibs and also tend to be slightly wider...So I'd agree with you in saying that the medium nibs are a bit too broad. I've ordered a Custom 74 in a Fine-medium, so will report on what that's like when it arrives.

Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm..................

I've read a lot of reviews on here that range from Pilot nibs being a bit dry to them being too wet. My own experience is that they are a bit on the wet side if you compare them to Sailor nibs and also tend to be slightly wider...So I'd agree with you in saying that the medium nibs are a bit too broad. I've ordered a Custom 74 in a Fine-medium, so will report on what that's like when it arrives.

Looking forward to it...

YNWA - JFT97

I've owned 2 Platinum 3776 and they are quite nice, especially the chartres blue version.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Hi, in terms of looks, definitely the 3776. Especially the Chartres blue, which is naturally perfect. The nib is quite good, so I guess 8/10???? My Chartres blue model w/rhodium trim is great! :D I soooo agree with Legal Eagle on that one.

Edited by CaiptainRollerball

A Chartres Bleu with rhodium trim is my preferred 3776, I aim to buy one in a not too distant future. But why is the rhodium trim so much more expensive than the gold trim version?

YNWA - JFT97