The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Can't Make Up My Mind! Pilot Custom 74, Ch91, Ch92 Or Platinum 3776

pilot ch91 ch92 custom 74 platinum 3776

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Moynihan

Moynihan

Old Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 22:24

Like a steel Lamy fine? Or....?

The width of the line on the page, assuming the ink in each, will probably be similar., if no pressure is used on the Pilot sf. But a Lamy steel and a Pilot Custom series gold sf feel A LOT different.

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard "Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Sponsored Content

#42 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:56

Vg14PjQ.jpg
I got my SM back from a repair here's the line
PS: I'm not pushing on the down strokes even then as a lefty who writes over handed I cant make good line variation with that grip...

Edited by Algester, 09 December 2015 - 04:58.

#43 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:29

The width of the line on the page, assuming the ink in each, will probably be similar., if no pressure is used on the Pilot sf. But a Lamy steel and a Pilot Custom series gold sf feel A LOT different.

So... A soft fine Pilot gold nib will have the same width as a fine Lamy steel nib?

YNWA     JFT96

Instagram: inkyandy

#44 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:02

How does a soft fine compare to a standard fine medium width wise?

YNWA     JFT96

#45 Moynihan

Moynihan

Old Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:11

So... A soft fine Pilot gold nib will have the same width as a fine Lamy steel nib?

For me, (as i remember a Lamy Safari fine, not having inked up for a while...) in my hand, and depending on the ink in each and the paper used for each,....yes. :lol:

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard "Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

#46 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:21

Vg14PjQ.jpg
I got my SM back from a repair here's the line
PS: I'm not pushing on the down strokes even then as a lefty who writes over handed I cant make good line variation with that grip...

Seems like soft medium is slightly too wide for me.

Edited by AndyYNWA, 09 December 2015 - 13:54.

YNWA     JFT96

#47 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:22

For me, (as i remember a Lamy Safari fine, not having inked up for a while...) in my hand, and depending on the ink in each and the paper used for each,....yes. :lol:

Thanks!

Maybe I should go for a soft fine anyway...

YNWA     JFT96

#48 Peppers

Peppers

Engineer!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 14:08

No. Japanese nibs run much smaller than Western nibs.

A Pilot F would be similar to a Lamy EF

A Pilot M would be similar to a Lamy F

What the 'soft' does is to give you a line variation. I have a Pilot Falcon with SF nib, with no pressure it writes like a Lamy EF, when I apply pressure to bend the tines I get a maximum line thickness of 1.5 mm, which is even larger than a Lamy Broad or Lamy 1.1mm Italic.

No idea where @Moynihan is getting his answers. A Pilot F would never be anything close to a Lamy F.

Edited by Peppers, 09 December 2015 - 14:08.

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

#49 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 14:28

No. Japanese nibs run much smaller than Western nibs.

A Pilot F would be similar to a Lamy EF

A Pilot M would be similar to a Lamy F

What the 'soft' does is to give you a line variation. I have a Pilot Falcon with SF nib, with no pressure it writes like a Lamy EF, when I apply pressure to bend the tines I get a maximum line thickness of 1.5 mm, which is even larger than a Lamy Broad or Lamy 1.1mm Italic.

No idea where @Moynihan is getting his answers. A Pilot F would never be anything close to a Lamy F.

Everybody else in this thread is saying that Pilot gold nibs run Western wide and that only Pilot steel nibs run Japanese wide.

My Lamy F, writes broader than my Metropolitan M.

Edited by AndyYNWA, 09 December 2015 - 14:30.

YNWA     JFT96

#50 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 15:35

at least from my observations as well at least I can attest though my M nibs looks similar thats including my Pilot SM I swear I got a book with all of my writing line samples but I guess I probably threw it out due to the crappy paper it has
I bought my brother a SF though... not sure if I can touch it though... if you ever want a writing sample I can't give you a full guarantee

#51 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 15:59

at least from my observations as well at least I can attest though my M nibs looks similar thats including my Pilot SM I swear I got a book with all of my writing line samples but I guess I probably threw it out due to the crappy paper it has
I bought my brother a SF though... not sure if I can touch it though... if you ever want a writing sample I can't give you a full guarantee

Similar to what?

YNWA     JFT96

#52 Peppers

Peppers

Engineer!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 16:07

My Lamy F, writes broader than my Metropolitan M.

That is what I am saying, Western nibs have a thicker/broader line that their Japanese counter parts. 

A Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to your Lamy F (never said equal); however, take into account that all Lamy nibs, as most people have agreed in the past in previous threads, they tend to have different line thickness within the same size, they are not consistent as Pilot nibs, but we can somehow agree on an average Lamy F. My Lamy F is not equal as your Lamy F, one is slightly, or a tad thicker than the other. 

Which means a Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to (an average size) Lamy F.

I arrive home around 9pm CT. Unless I am too tired by them, I can write you an example of my Pilot SF vs a Lamy F, both gold nibs, vs a Lamy Steel F.

Lamy Steel F runs thinner than Lamy Gold F; However, Pilot SF runs thinner than Lamy Steel F.

Hope this helps a bit more.

-Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

#53 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 19:02

That is what I am saying, Western nibs have a thicker/broader line that their Japanese counter parts. 

A Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to your Lamy F (never said equal); however, take into account that all Lamy nibs, as most people have agreed in the past in previous threads, they tend to have different line thickness within the same size, they are not consistent as Pilot nibs, but we can somehow agree on an average Lamy F. My Lamy F is not equal as your Lamy F, one is slightly, or a tad thicker than the other. 

Which means a Pilot (Metropolitan) M would be similar to (an average size) Lamy F.

I arrive home around 9pm CT. Unless I am too tired by them, I can write you an example of my Pilot SF vs a Lamy F, both gold nibs, vs a Lamy Steel F.

Lamy Steel F runs thinner than Lamy Gold F; However, Pilot SF runs thinner than Lamy Steel F.

Hope this helps a bit more.

-Peppers

It would be highly appreciated if you could make writing comparison of these nibs.

I'm just confused, since everybody else is saying that Pilot gold nibs are equal to Western nibs in line width.

Algester has repeatedly stated that Pilot gold nib definitely are Western sized. But Pilot steel nibs are one size finer.

Edited by AndyYNWA, 09 December 2015 - 19:03.

YNWA     JFT96

#54 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 01:05

cOTpir5.jpg
here's everything I got
SM Custom Heritage 91
M Lamy Logo
F Faber-Castell
SF Custom Heritage 91 that wasnt cleaned with gunked up ink :X... I dunno what my brother did... I just loaded the cart with take-sumi and wrote with it anyway
Prera F

Edited by Algester, 10 December 2015 - 01:10.

#55 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:22

Thanks for the writing sample, Algester.

Judging by you sample above, it seems like SFM or FM would have the right line width for me.

The Pilot gold soft fine definitely looks Japanese fine, but the gold soft medium looks like a Western medium, if not broader.

YNWA     JFT96

#56 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:13

good luck with the decision and purchase... I tried as best as I could but it only gets to that point

Edited by Algester, 10 December 2015 - 06:18.

#57 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:37

good luck with the decision and purchase... I tried as best as I could but it only gets to that point

I appreciate your help!  :)

YNWA     JFT96

#58 Peppers

Peppers

Engineer!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 19:06

Here is what I promised. I hope this helps even more.  :D

If you click on the picture, it sends you to my Flickr, where you can zoom in A LOT for full resolution.

23031162193_8944322e94_o.jpg

Edited by Peppers, 10 December 2015 - 19:07.

#59 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 20:50

Here is what I promised. I hope this helps even more.  :D

If you click on the picture, it sends you to my Flickr, where you can zoom in A LOT for full resolution.

Thanks! :)
I'll take a better look at it when I get to a computer.

YNWA     JFT96

#60 simar

simar

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:42

I have the Pilot CH 91 with soft medium nib and the Platinum century 3776 with a normal medium nib .

I much prefer the Pilot because of the softness of the writing experience , There is also enough line variation with the Pilot to add some character to the writing , but the main attraction for me it the softness . I would describe it as softness rather than springiness .By contrast the Platinum , though a very competent pen , is just a standard fairly hard writer . Just my thoughts . 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, ch91, ch92, custom 74, platinum, 3776

Sponsored Content

|