Pilot To Introduce Con-40, Discontinuing Con-20 & Con-50

zchen

As per blog post at Nagasawa Stationary Center.

Con-40 will be introduced December this year, retail of 400 yen + tax. Capacity of 0.4ml. Intend to replace both Con-20 (Retail 200 Yen + tax) and Con-50 (Retail 500 Yen + tax).

Con-20 and Con-50 will be discontinued sometime around 2016.

Think I am going to stock up on Con-20, I like those much better for my vintage Pilot Elites.

http://i.imgur.com/vZirGIm.jpg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• AndyYNWA

• Icywolfe

• Peppers

Thanks for the news.

I sure hope it is better than both the con-20 and the con-50.

Am I mistaken or it seems that its ink capacity will be even less than the con-50?

That wouldn't go in the direction I was hoping for...

Edited by Lam1

Why the smaller capacity? How is this an improvement?

I think the capacity is less, because it's probably essentially a CON-50 with a smaller diameter. The CON-50 has a step in its diameter about half-way along its length and then has the metal at the back-end. It looks like they've done away with both the diameter step, and the metal. It should now fit any pen the CON-20 does (it has to given they're getting rid of the CON-20).

From Pilot's viewpoint it's an improvement because it's one less item to build and stock. From a user's viewpoint the benefit is not clear. Less confusion about what converter will fit their pen? The option in a formerly CON-20 only pen of a converter with a visible ink level?

The CON-40 with a 0.4 ml capacity isn't going to change my opinion that syringe filling cartridges is the way to go with Pilot C/C filling pens.

I don't really like any Pilot converters but this open doesn't look bad. The balls are in there for cleaning purposes...like you use to clean a decanter?

I also don't like any of their converters. I can't understand how they can make such wonderful pens and no decent converter (granted, the con-70 can take a good amount of ink, but I really don't like the way it's filled).

Another thing I don't understand is why they make the wonderful Iroshizuku inks and don't offer them in cartridges too (at least I never found Iroshizuku cartridges), particularly considering that almost all of their pens is CC.

Well, the CON-50's weight/shaker works pretty good for its intended purpose. It is a metal piece against the plastic cartridge, makes no noise; I hope the 4 little balls, metal with metal do not turn my pen into a maraca.

http://l.thumbs.canstockphoto.com/canstock2561478.jpg

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

I think I will be buying a few Con-50s while I have a chance...

I already have a stash of Con-20s I don't use.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I think I will be buying a few Con-50s while I have a chance...

I already have a stash of Con-20s I don't use.

Ditto

For my 2 resin Falcons, my 2 VPs, and my Lucina. My Custom74 and my CH 912 use the Con-70 and I'm planning on acquiring a metal Falcon, but I'll need to get several Con-50s for backup. This new one doesn't seem promising.

Thanks for posting this zchen.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Another thing I don't understand is why they make the wonderful Iroshizuku inks and don't offer them in cartridges too (at least I never found Iroshizuku cartridges), particularly considering that almost all of their pens is CC.

They offer them in cartridges in Japan, I'm fairly certain they never intended the iroshizuku inks to be sold outside of Japan seeing as the packaging is written all in Japanese which is probably the reason why it's so expensive too. In japan it's less than 10$/bottle and cheaper than sailor jentle inks...

Edit: corrected a mistake as it was actually sellers using a special tool to refill a cartridge and sealing it off. (refer to follow up reply)

Edited by Alteyz

They offer them in cartridges in Japan.

What? First time I heard of such thing. I own an Iroshizuku catalog and there is no mention of cartridges in it.

Would you be kind enough to provide me a link?

I am wondering if you know how well the Iroshizuku bottle shape and the way it looks has always being praised? The Iroshizuku ink is not only for pens, but also for display. That is why there are no cartridges.
Edited by Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

Well, the CON-50's weight/shaker works pretty good for its intended purpose. It is a metal piece against the plastic cartridge, makes no noise; I hope the 4 little balls, metal with metal do not turn my pen into a maraca.

http://l.thumbs.canstockphoto.com/canstock2561478.jpg

haha

being ballsy in this case is not a compliment

They offer them in cartridges in Japan, I'm fairly certain they never intended the iroshizuku inks to be sold outside of Japan seeing as the packaging is written all in Japanese which is probably the reason why it's so expensive too. In japan it's less than 10$/bottle and cheaper than sailor jentle inks...

I didn't know that, I'll try and see if I find them. Thanks for the information.

That sure would be helpful for my Vanishing Point, which with a stub nib goes through the ink in the Con-50 in a heartbeat.

Still, I can't understand this whole "only for Japan" thing I'm a global economy. They sure would make a lot more money if they were to sell these everywhere.

I am wondering if you know how well the Iroshizuku bottle shape and the way it looks has always being praised? The Iroshizuku ink is not only for pens, but also for display. That is why there are no cartridges.

Yeah, I agree that they are wonderful bottles. But, even though I am not immune to good looks ;), I still value them more for the ink. I just would love to be able to use more than the ridiculous amount that a Con-50 can take in my VP (with a F nib it's ok, but with a stub it doesn't last a day, and I love that nib). I know I can fill the cartridges with a syringe, but I don't really like that.

haha

:lticaptd:

What? First time I heard of such thing. I own an Iroshizuku catalog and there is no mention of cartridges in it. Would you be kind enough to provide me a link?

Ive never explicitly looked for a link but a few japanese sites Ive ordered from and private sellers sometimes offer the option of iroshizuku cartridges (eg http://www.tomattarashinu.com/2015/08/for-sale-pilot-custom-74-violet-m-2/ and a few stores on rakuten)

EDIT: After some research seems like I have made a mistake and it was actually sellers using a special tool to refill a cartridge and sealing it off as a incentive to buy from them over other stores. ):

I didn't know that, I'll try and see if I find them. Thanks for the information.

Still, I can't understand this whole "only for Japan" thing I'm a global economy. They sure would make a lot more money if they were to sell these everywhere.

I quite agree with that, I assume it's because "made in Japan" is a selling point and making separate labels...etc is something pilot isnt very interested in doing?

I wish the branched out a bit more especially with their cocoon line (Basically Japan's "Metropolitan" except they have them in mechanical pencils/ballpoint/roller ball...etc)

Edited by Alteyz

I could agree to the beauty of Iroshizuku bottles but the new small ones have nothing special to put them on display. Maybe Pilot would reconsider and sell cartridges like Pelikan with the Edelstein inks.

Then people will complaint about being proprietary.

Edited by rafapa

haha

Haha! Right on!

Yeah, I agree that they are wonderful bottles. But, even though I am not immune to good looks ;), I still value them more for the ink. I just would love to be able to use more than the ridiculous amount that a Con-50 can take in my VP (with a F nib it's ok, but with a stub it doesn't last a day, and I love that nib). I know I can fill the cartridges with a syringe, but I don't really like that.

I am new here, but I already noticed that everybody complains about converter capacity. As far from what I can tell, everyone here owns more than 1 fountain pen. Wouldn't common sense dictate to use the 2nd one when the 1st one runs outta ink? I've see threads here where people showcase their pen collections and they are quite large. I see it as an opportunity to use and rotate all the pens you have. :D I only got 2 pens, a Lamy Safari Charcoal & a Lamy Studio Palladium.

... it was actually sellers using a special tool to refill a cartridge and sealing it off as a incentive to buy from them over other stores. ):

Some people really go out their way to sell/promote their stuff. I am sure the price of such cartridges would be too high, you would not only be paying for Iroshizuku ink, but also for someone using the tool as well as the price of the original cartridge. Yuck!

I could agree to the beauty of Iroshizuku bottles but the new small ones have nothing special to put them on display. Maybe Pilot would reconsider and sell cartridges like Pelikan with the Edelstein inks.

Then people will complaint about being proprietary.

I've seen the little bottles. I like the cap. If only the body were the same shape as the cap (hexagon? octagon?), it would look a little better than the boring squared bottle. :P

to be honest if were going to talk about Pilot bottles I like the no longer existing Iroshizuku 25ml bottles

I will have no comments for the Converter just yet... not until I find out they dont fit into their older but newer than CON-W enabled cartridge pens