A Texas Engineer, Hello!

Peppers

Glad that you stopped here to read my introduction. :D

I've been reading the forums for at least 2 yrs, usually to look up answers to the common questions for new fountain pen users. For the past 2 years, my fountain pen experience hasn't grown much, but my love for it has increased dramatically. Answers to my questions have become harder to find and I believe that now it is a good time to create an account and join this lovely, yet very wise community of fountain pen lovers.

Although I was quite hesitant to create an account, I hope to befriend people with the same interests/hobbies (fountain pens) and learn as much as I can from them. One of the deterrents from not creating an account before, is the fact that I have nothing to contribute to this community. My fountain pen knowledge is quite nothing to what the standard user level in this forums is.

I would like to introduce myself as 'Peppers', I have seen that forums users have all sorts of creative and interesting names. It seemed fit, to follow the trend. I am 26 yrs old, male and a Mechanical Engineer. I have never worked in industry, because right after my Bachelor's Degree, I enrolled a Master's Degree in the same field, I will be graduating May 2016. Hopefully, there are many engineers around here. :lol:

My first fountain pen was a Lamy Safari Charcoal with a (Black) Fine Nib, with the famous Noodler's Black ink. I still carry it around with my after 2 years of use, it has been my best friend ever since. I have a very soft spot for my Safari, but I am a Pilot fan.

No idea what else to add to this introduction, but I am very happy to be here. If you have a couple of more minutes, please stop at the following link, it is my first official post with a question about Pilot Cartridges. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300663-pilot-namiki-vs-pilot-black/

Have a lovely and very blessed Monday,

-Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peppers

• PAKMAN

• jar

• richila

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome Peppers! :W2FPN:

I'm a newbie around here too. I actually live just to the north of you in Oklahoma and am in a graduate program as well (medical) and set to graduate December 2016. I have some engineers in my family but they are city engineers, not mechanical. I know nothing about that field but if you are sick, I'm your girl lol. Fountain pens and health and wellness... there has to be a market for that, right? :D

I am sure we will all learn a lot from each other around here.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Degree in Nuclear and PE in Mechanical Engineering... Retired

Again Welcome!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

welcome as a member!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome, Peppers !

From the engineering perspective, I marvel at the science and innovation incorporated into the fountain pen, over the decades. All for the mundane task of controlling the leakage of ink onto paper. It seems like an unnecessary "fuss", unless one considers the importance of writing, to

modern civilization.

Namiki is the family name, as in "Namiki Manufacturing". I think the name "Pilot Pen Co." may have been adopted, in the early 20th Century, to trade with western markets under a familiar name. Today, I suspect the two names are interchangeable. The modern American has learned to pronounce N-A-M-I-K-I. It is very good ink, especially whatever they put into the Varsity pen.

I used a Parker 45 throughout college, and for 40 years since. Not the same pen, though. Sat upon a couple of them. :lticaptd:

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thank you all for the warm welcome. :lol: Very happy to be here!!

Welcome Peppers! :W2FPN:

I'm a newbie around here too. I actually live just to the north of you in Oklahoma and am in a graduate program as well (medical) and set to graduate December 2016. I have some engineers in my family but they are city engineers, not mechanical. I know nothing about that field but if you are sick, I'm your girl lol. Fountain pens and health and wellness... there has to be a market for that, right? :D

I am sure we will all learn a lot from each other around here.

How funny! My family is in the medical field. There is a neurosurgeon, a pediatrician and a bunch of nurses.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

Degree in Nuclear and PE in Mechanical Engineering... Retired

Again Welcome!

Thank you! Where did you retire from? All PE's I know are purely in academia.

Welcome, Peppers !

From the engineering perspective, I marvel at the science and innovation incorporated into the fountain pen, over the decades. All for the mundane task of controlling the leakage of ink onto paper. It seems like an unnecessary "fuss", unless one considers the importance of writing, to

modern civilization.

Namiki is the family name, as in "Namiki Manufacturing". I think the name "Pilot Pen Co." may have been adopted, in the early 20th Century, to trade with western markets under a familiar name. Today, I suspect the two names are interchangeable. The modern American has learned to pronounce N-A-M-I-K-I. It is very good ink, especially whatever they put into the Varsity pen.

I used a Parker 45 throughout college, and for 40 years since. Not the same pen, though. Sat upon a couple of them. :lticaptd:

Hey Sasha. The science and engineering of delivering a fluid at the appropriate flow has always been something engineers have to deal on an everyday basis, you would be amazed how fluid mechanics extend beyond the scope of a fountain pen.

The Namiki family heh? Amazing fact! I wasn't aware of that, very interesting. I should look up Pilot's history and development to find out more.

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

"Thank you! Where did you retire from? All PE's I know are purely in academia. "

Worked at a Nuclear Power plant for 34 years.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Not an engineer myself, but my oldest grandson is in his first year of mechanical engineering at UT Austin. I see you're in Texas, but not which university. That's all right; many of our members don't like to disclose too much about location and other personal data. Anyhow, best of fortune with your continuing education!

Not an engineer myself, but my oldest grandson is in his first year of mechanical engineering at UT Austin. I see you're in Texas, but not which university. That's all right; many of our members don't like to disclose too much about location and other personal data. Anyhow, best of fortune with your continuing education!

Thank you! It is not about disclosing information about myself, but I am limited about the stuff that I can add to my profile. I've been trying to do so, I want to upload my picture but I can't, I need to be enrolled in the forums for at least 7 days. The longer I stay, the more options I can unlock in my profile, or something like that. Haha. Mods were saying it is a security measure on another thread. :D

Welcome to the forums. If you are anywhere near Houston you need to check out Dromgoole's in Rice Village.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Welcome to the forums. If you are anywhere near Houston you need to check out Dromgoole's in Rice Village.

Thanks! Rice Village is about 6 hours from here, but definitely the closest I know now. :D Hopefully I get to visit it in the future.