Where Do You Put Your Cap?

Pen_andy

Some of my pens don't post, some aren't well balanced when posted.

If I don't post a pen, depending on circumstances: Cap in shirt pocket, standing up on desk, held in opposite hand, clipped into pen case, laying down on desk, in pants pocket.

Just go with the flow.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wspohn

• Peppers

• Water Ouzel

• Pen_andy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I plug a nostril with it. Don't laugh, it got me out of the Army.

TMI :o

90% of the time I also just grab the cap in my left fist, the remaining 10% I place it on the desk with the ring down. Not sure why.

-k

On my head, duh.

Kidding.

I post some pens, don't post others. When I don't post, I either hold the cap in the non-writing hand or place the cap on the another surface. It hasn't been a problem.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I rarely post. Length, weight, balance reasons - dislike the feeling of writing with a tree. Cap usually goes in my non-writing hand, flat on the writing surface or in the fold of a book that needs to be kept open (works with heavier caps). Occasionally in a pocket or gently between the lips if standing or moving around.

The one time I forgot to retain the cap when lending a pen was the time I lost that pen.

I rarely post my pens and do so with some pens more than others. Just a habit I got into. My Parker 45's get posted the most, because as someone else said -they look sexy. Especially my stubby Flighter that doesn't have the tail cap/inner barrel. So the pen is a good 10-12 mm shorter capped than my other 45's.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

When I am wearing it - it is on my head - when I am not wearing it - it is on my hat rack. :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I plug a nostril with it. Don't laugh, it got me out of the Army.

I did the same thing, but the Navy took me anyway.

Actually, I do the same as sirgilbert357, but in the non-writing hand.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Do you have a watch? Try clipping it onto the strap. That's what I do sometimes.

How thin is your strap? I would hate to bend the clip that much, over time I am sure it gives.

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

I did the same thing, but the Navy took me anyway.

Actually, I do the same as sirgilbert357, but in the non-writing hand.

Yikes the navy accept nostril plugging pen cap enlistments - thank God for us Air Force people :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

I always seem to have a micro fiber cloth nearby. Just lay your cap on a cloth. I don't like to post, either. I don't like the way it feels.

My 'writing' table, which frequently has open A4 notepads and A4 journals, is smallish (bit over 1m square) and seems to have acquired a constant stock of high quality white 3-ply paper serviettes for all things inky. I've discovered that serviettes are my perfect cap rest solution - soft and formable. I have a lovely 19th century pen + letter holder, but it's too far away for frequent cap use. I need elbow room (table's too high), so the pen holder sits opposite me on the far side of the table. I don't post my pen caps because of weight/balance issues too.

You could always make a subtle custom cap rest with Fimo polymer clay. Comes in metallic colours as well as basics like black. Could be as minimal as you like.

Or screw up a post-it note as a cap-rest.

What about a business card holder ie one designed to go on desks? The groove should be sufficient to hold the cap.

Ok, I'll go back to exam study now. It's evident my brain has done too much thinking and is getting rather random lol.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

For very short writing, hold it in my left hand, for longer sessions stand on end or shirt pocket for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I can readily understand the desire not to post a Lamy Safari. I think the giant cap is one of its significant design flaws. That said, you have a bunch of non-posting options.

I usually hold caps in my off-hand when not posting. You've said that this wasn't really an option for you. The clip will certainly fit over a flat leather or nylon watch band. You can also tuck the cap in between your ring finger and either of its neighbors, on either hand, or clip it to a pants or shirt or even jacket pocket, or a collar or waistband. I have held various things between my lips, cigarette-style, for years, and a pen cap is certainly something one could so hold.