The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Custom 74 Sf/sfm Vs Soft Or Medium

pilot custom 74 custom 74 pilot gold nibs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jodi_maloney

jodi_maloney

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:34

After acquiring a lot of gift cards for my birthday, I decided I would like to finally get a gold nib pen. All I can afford is an eBay/Amazon seller of the Pilot Custom 74, but I am dedicated to this pen after many reviews., so I would not like to change that. This seems to be the best pen for my hand size, school and other things I may use it for, like generic writing.

One thing I cannot seem to find much of are pictures or suggestions of nib comparisons. I would definitely like a nib with a bit of line variation (and yes I know flex and soft are not the same thing). I know the soft nibs and according to some websites, even standard nibs will offer that, but I would like some more judgement on my opinion. I can be a consistent writer when I want to, but also want some creativity in my writing which is why I might want a soft nib. Any opinions on them?

Again this would be for a high school student who's looking for a bit of line variation, and would like a nice pen to carry around. Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

Just the kid with the fountain pens... no, don't mind me...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:58

The soft nibs on the Pilots are nice, they do give line variation without much pressure. I loved my SFM while it lasted.

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#3 luhkey

luhkey

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:51

I loved my SFM while it lasted.

while it lasted?

i find my SFM 74 to be an enjoyable pen with no regrets.

i wasn't sure about the SFM over the SF or SM, but i was aiming for a general purpose fine nib. not too catchy but not too broad for my smaller, fast handwriting. 

the best nib comparison i can make would be to my Nib Creeper. my SFM is about the same tipping size, softer, but it doesn't open up as much if you try to flex it.

for me it does just what i was hoping it would. a journaling pen that adds a little automatic line variation. it isn't fussy with my ink or paper choices so far.

i would be interested to try the SF and FA nibs to see the difference as far as finer lines and greater swells.

for me, the 74 doesn't feel like the most solid pen though. if i wanted to make it a pen i would carry i would want a sturdy case for it, for my lifestyle at least.

edit: this image isn't mine but it was helpful to me.

hMdQwRb.jpg

Edited by luhkey, 30 November 2015 - 10:49.

#4 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

Just the kid with the fountain pens... no, don't mind me...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:54

while it lasted?

i find my SFM 74 to be an enjoyable pen with no regrets.

i wasn't sure about the SFM over the SF or SM, but i was aiming for a general purpose fine nib. not too catchy but not too broad for my smaller, fast handwriting. 

the best nib comparison i can make would be to my Nib Creeper. my SFM is about the same tipping size, softer, but it doesn't open up as much if you try to flex it.

for me it does just what i was hoping it would. a journaling pen that adds a little automatic line variation. it isn't fussy with my ink or paper choices so far.

i would be interested to try the SF and FA nibs to see the difference as far as finer lines and greater swells.

for me, the 74 doesn't feel like the most solid pen though. if i wanted to make it a pen i would carry i would want a sturdy case for it, for my lifestyle at least.

edit: this image isn't mine but it was helpful to me.

hMdQwRb.jpg

Yeah, while it lasted. I eventually gave it away and got a Heritage 92. Piston filler yay.

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#5 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 14:31

I got me a SM CH91... will be getting a CH912 sometime next year-ish just not sure when... gotta love that FA nib... at least I kinda liked it but YMMV
but the SM nib is good I mean it writes like a western M nib but with extra spring :3
I may also buy a CH92 down the line but just not decided yet if I should be getting a CH92 or a Sailor Shiki-oriori meigetsu... ideally in the same price range... then put my SM nib to the CH92 at least this way it wont be finicky with the ink in the CON-70

Edited by Algester, 30 November 2015 - 14:32.

#6 jodi_maloney

jodi_maloney

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2015 - 23:25

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the SF nib. I like the fine writing as we have some pretty bad (and I mean really bad) paper at my school...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot custom 74, custom 74, pilot, gold nibs

Sponsored Content

|