Shaeffer Targa Classic - Will I Be Disappointed?

chrisheathcote

Firstly I know this is a difficult one to answer however. Currently I have a MB WE Defoe (med) and a Cross Townsend also medium. My favourite is the MB as it has a nice line and is slightly wet which gives nice shading, the Cross I find is a little too narrow (shame they don't do it in Broad). Anyway I am after a new pen and have narrowed it down to either a 1988 MB 146 (med) or a NOS Shaeffer Targa Classic Garnet Ronce (med). I am leaning towards the Shaeffer due to the looks (stunning colours) however having never used a Shaeffer I'm a little nervous.

Just wondered what everyone's thoughts were

TIA

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisheathcote

• idazle

• jar

• bbs

The Sheaffer Targa will have a section 9mm wide while the 146 is 10mm+. The Targa will be slightly heavier. Both are relatively wet writers. The 146 is bottle fill only while the Targa is cartridge converter (Sheaffer cartridges and converter) only. Both seem forgiving when it come to ink selection; so far I have not found a fountain pen ink that does not work in either pen. I do have slightly more Targas than 146s but it's close.

Hi,

I own a 1975 MB 149 (F-M) and quite a few Targas by Sheaffer (M) and the writing experience is altogether different in every possible sense: hand gripping, nib performance, paper feedback, etc. The Targa, even the Classic model, is slender than the MB 146 and maybe lighter, I'm not sure.

I also should say that all Sheaffer inlaid nibs demand from the writer to get the right pen-nib inclination over the paper's surface in order to make the most of them. When you get the knack of writing with them, they are very smooth. In addition, not all Targa medium points in my collection write the same, some are smoother and have a better ink flow than others. Chances are that if you like your MB 146 you´ll find the Targa most "peculiar" ... for better or for worse.

I have taken for granted that you are unable to try the Targa before buying it. If you can, that would be the best test. The proof of the puding is in the eating ;-)

C

Edited by idazle

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

The Sheaffer Targa will have a section 9mm wide while the 146 is 10mm+. The Targa will be slightly heavier. Both are relatively wet writers. The 146 is bottle fill only while the Targa is cartridge converter (Sheaffer cartridges and converter) only. Both seem forgiving when it come to ink selection; so far I have not found a fountain pen ink that does not work in either pen. I do have slightly more Targas than 146s but it's close.

Hi,

I own a 1975 MB 149 (F-M) and quite a few Targas by Sheaffer (M) and the writing experience is altogether different in every possible sense: hand gripping, nib performance, paper feedback, etc. The Targa, even the Classic model, is slender than the MB 146 and maybe lighter, I'm not sure.

I also should say that all Sheaffer inlaid nibs demand from the writer to get the right pen-nib inclination over the paper's surface in order to make the most of them. When you get the knack of writing with them, they are very smooth. In addition, not all Targa medium points in my collection write the same, some are smoother and have a better ink flow than others. Chances are that if you like your MB 146 you´ll find the Targa most "peculiar" ... for better or for worse.

I have taken for granted that you are unable to try the Targa before buying it. If you can, that would be the best test. The proof of the puding is in the eating ;-)

C

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I can't try before buying as the pen I've found is too faraway, which is why I'm a little nervous of hitting the buy button. Although I've been using FPs for a few years, until this year all I had used was a Cross with Black cartridges. Since buying the MB it has opened my eyes and I now enjoy writing. I know I'm bound to like the MB but at twice the price I wonder if there's also a whole world outside MB

If my own experience is of any use to you I love BOTH the Montblanc pens (I've got nine of them, including two 149s from the early 60s and 70s and a celluloid 146 from the 50s) AND the Targas (I've got 15 of them). I think that's precisely the fun of it, to have pens with different "personalities".

And I forgot to say that before catching the bug of pen collecting my only fountain pen for years was a Cross Century II which I too used with Cross black cartridges, and this still is one of my best writers.

Cheers

Edited by idazle

I'm a relative newcomer but suggest that If you've never had a Sheaffer you might want to first consider some NOS Sheaffer models from the 1960's and '70's with either the inlaid or conical nibs. Look at the various offerings at Peyton Street Pens, for example. You can phone Teri there and ask for her recommendations. She sells from both her website and on the big auction site. You receive an unused, inspected pen with a seller's guarantee. (I have no connection with Peyton Street other than being a satisfied customer).

I can't make a direct comparison, as my exposures to MBs have been brief, but I will say that I was disinclined to Targas as being visually unappealing and likely too heavy (metal body, after all). Once someone sent me one to have a problem sorted out, I realized that they're rather more appealing in person than in photos and that the heaviness isn't overwhelming; I shortly thereafter got one of my own, and have never regretted it.

I have found that Sheaffers of that age tend to run a little narrow of line, especially compared to modern German notions, but they're also generally quite damp. I don't know if the latter will answer possible problems with the former in your view.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I find the heavier pens from Sheaffer--like the Targa and the Legacy--less to my liking than a 149. A better inlaid nib Sheaffer, especially if you prefer to post, would be a PFM with a plastic cap, like a PFM III. Of course these were made from 1959 until some time in the late 1960s, so you'll have to search the used pen sites or eBay for a restored example.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, in the end I decided to bite the bullet and bought a Targa Red Ronce. Of all my pens it is the smallest and also the lightest and at first I was a little worried about how it feel, however having written a couple of paragraphs my initial concerns were quickly dismissed. As Ernst has already commented, line wise it is a little fine however it has a nice juicy feed, if I only I could find a Broad/Stub nib unit I might consider trying that.

With regards to smoothness, it glides across the paper with only a very slight hint of feedback, something very different to my other pens.

Overall conclusion after initial testing it is now alongside my other pens al ready inked with Diamine Monaco Red and it looks lush :)

, if I only I could find a Broad/Stub nib unit I might consider trying that.

The "stub" nibs of Sheaffer's Targas are the best sharp straight italic nibs I've ever tried to write an italic penmanship.

The "stub" nibs of Sheaffer's Targas are the best sharp straight italic nibs I've ever tried to write an italic penmanship.

Don't suppose you have any idea where I could lay my hands on one ;)

The easiest solution is to contact Pedemonium and they can get your pen stubbed by the person who used to do it for Sheaffer in FT Madison or get a stub nib for you. Sam will take care of you. Tell her I said "Hi!"

http://www.fototime.com/40AB8B0057FD11F/large.jpg

Or, if you don't mind a slim pen, I've got a Targa Slimline model 1043s, lacque Prestige burgundy that doesn't get enough use with me ....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)