The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Bungbox Espresso

sailor bungbox espresso brown

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2015 - 13:50

OK, here is an ink that lovers of brown ink will take delight.

It's somewhat old hat now, but Sailor makes ink and pens. They are a Japanese company. They also have a master ink maker who blends custom inks for certain special shops in Japan carrying Sailor products. For a while, these inks were available with some diligence as these shops did not have international ordering on their web sites. But now however those days are gone with the rise of the "ink speculator" and the "jewel bottle shortage". Some shops now only sell to someone in person, and other popular ones are sold out within hours, while another has raised prices 50%. Accept my apologies for posting a review of an ink you may not be able to purchase anytime soon.

And I have further bad news for you, dear reader: this ink is a close match for Parker Penman Mocha.

So I am unsure if I should just always have a pen filled with this ink until the bottle is empty, then place it upon the shelf, and remember the good "inky times" we once had. Or whether I should save it, preserving it for the future. Alas, why wait for a future that may never come? It will be used.

With that introduction, the review. As typical for me, the papers used are Mohawk via Linen, Hammermill 28 lb Inkjet, and as long as this book has a blank page, Clairefontaine. As typical, these iPhone photos show the ink as darker than it really is. It is not black, but a dark brown. I'm not sure whether Sailor's Do-you is darker, it may well be.

fpn_1448718140__img_3893.jpg

fpn_1448718289__img_3894.jpg

fpn_1448718329__img_3895.jpg

Not sure how this will wash. An ink smear is a brown, but here some dirty red was showing up. Some experimentation would be in order.

fpn_1448718360__img_3903.jpg

The ink did not spread very much, but you can see a number of colors at the edges.

fpn_1448718474__img_3888.jpg

A close-up.

fpn_1448718540__img_3889.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2015 - 14:48

What a beautiful space galaxy "aura" those blobs have. Look at it . . . !

Thanks again.

#3 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2015 - 15:59

I lucked into a bottle of this before the ink speculators and LOVE it. So well behaved and the colors is even better in person.

#4 EDC

EDC

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 18:46

This could be a favorite brown.  The shade seems well settled yet alive.

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2015 - 21:57

Surprisingly water resistant.  Hmm......

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, bungbox, espresso, brown

Sponsored Content

|