Massive Rise In Vintage Esty Prices.

jdllizard

At an early age, I learned that something is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay. Very few people have gone broke by underestimating the gullibility of 'impulse buyers' armed with a valid credit card.

Caveat emptor.

(Let the buyer beware.)

Edited by Piper 987

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• gweimer1

• jdllizard

• Rach31

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huh? A Safari is NOT an Esty! It doesn't look like one. It doesn't write like one. It's not even in the same universe. A SAFARI IS NOT AN ESTY! SHAME ON YOU!

There is an Esterbrook Safari model that was being referenced. Check out the Esterbrook.net site http://www.esterbrook.net/safari.shtml

There are some really nice models, like the LK, that have great color, not the usual red, blue, green, grey, and copper you are used to seeing.

There is an Esterbrook Safari model that was being referenced. Check out the Esterbrook.net site http://www.esterbrook.net/safari.shtml

There are some really nice models, like the LK, that have great color, not the usual red, blue, green, grey, and copper you are used to seeing.

Well, It stands that I spoke out of turn. I am appropriately embarassed and chagrined with myself. All due apologies to the poster. I should have realized this, especially when mention was made of discontinued carts. Again to the poster, please accept my apologies.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

I have a couple LK pens. I love my keeper, but I tell you, they are a pain to work on. I have yet to get one apart. Next to my white Dollar pen, my LK is my second favorite of all my Esterbrooks.

I have a willow green LK that is beautiful. I have a blue pen that looks like an LK but takes cartridges. You're not the first one to mention how hard it is to take them apart, gweimer1. Repairs that are tough are no fun.

Repairs that are tough are no fun.

In time your perspective will change.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

When impossible turns to improbable, everything takes on a certain glow...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

My penmanship is atrocious, that's why I never post it anywhere, but.... I love a challenge. Whether it be in the hunt for a certain pen, or repairing a vintage pen back to usable condition. The harder it is, the bigger the challenge, which means greater the satisfaction.

So obviously I'm not into fountain pens because I have fantastic handwriting and want to show it off, its because I had to retire young due to health issues and needed a hobby where I could still use my skill set, as well as my brain.

I basically fell into fountain pens by accident, but am darn glad I did. Because now I can hunt my favorites, repair them, then possibly sell or trade to supplement my retirement income.

John L

I know that is true. I fear destroying the section on a pen that would be difficult or costly to replace. I plan on one day being able to tackle those repairs, but for now I will happily continue working on the small stuff. Some Esterbrook sections are determined to stay connected to the barrel forever.

I have a willow green LK that is beautiful. I have a blue pen that looks like an LK but takes cartridges. You're not the first one to mention how hard it is to take them apart, gweimer1. Repairs that are tough are no fun.

I got mine repaired! I think that the metal cap threads inhibit expansion at the section, so it takes a lot of patience to work it loose. It took a couple days, but repeated attempts proved successful.

I got mine repaired! I think that the metal cap threads inhibit expansion at the section, so it takes a lot of patience to work it loose. It took a couple days, but repeated attempts proved successful.

Yay! that goves me hope, now if I can just find patience so I don't get frustrated...

What size sac did you use?

Edited by Rach31

#16 is the standard for just about every Esterbrook, and these are no exception. I also found a thin layer of gunk around the inside of the barrel where the section joins, so I gently cleaned that up. Putting it back together was much easier than getting it apart.

I hope these pens do have a massive price rise. Soon.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 month later...

Over in the UK, I'm looking at Esties on Ebay again and they seem to be becoming a lot more expensive. Some sellers seem to be asking as much as £30-£35 ($43-$50) or more for a J/SJ, and US postal costs seem to have leapt in some cases to anything from £30 to £42 ($43 to $60). Nibs can sometimes be as expensive as the pens themselves, but even if they're £10 ($15) the postage cost is prohibitive. Has the USPS changed the prices for international shipping? I don't know how many are being sold at these prices, but it's certainly tougher trying to afford Esterbrooks in the UK nowadays.

Having said that, I'm looking at a nice SJ that can be had for less than $40 including postage to the UK, even though I don't need another 2668 nib... it does look awfully pretty, though...

The steel capped models (Safaris, perhaps?) seem less expensive, but not so common. Do they take the same nibs as the J/SJ/LJ models? If so, they're tempting. Do they take international/universal cartridges? Maybe a converter?

Edited by DKR

Over in the UK, I'm looking at Esties on Ebay again and they do seem a lot more expensive. Some sellers seem to be asking around £30-£35 ($43-$50) or more for a J/SJ, and US postal costs seem to have leapt to anything from £30 to £42 ($43 to $60). Nibs can sometimes be as expensive as the pens themselves, but even if they're £10 ($15) the postage cost is prohibitive. Has the USPS changed the prices for international shipping? I don't know how many are being sold at these prices, but it's certainly tougher trying to afford Esterbrooks in the UK nowadays.

The steel capped models (Safaris, perhaps?) seem less expensive, but not so common. Do they take the same nibs as the J/SJ/LJ models? If so, they're tempting.

I can say that finding an Esterbrook Relief pen (or Conway Stewart) is the equivalent issue from this side of the ocean. I've liberated a few CS from the mother land, but it's cost me. I do have a Relief 2-L that's ok, but not what you'd call a showcase item.

Over in the UK, I'm looking at Esties on Ebay again and they seem to be becoming a lot more expensive. Some sellers seem to be asking as much as £30-£35 ($43-$50) or more for a J/SJ, and US postal costs seem to have leapt in some cases to anything from £30 to £42 ($43 to $60). Nibs can sometimes be as expensive as the pens themselves, but even if they're £10 ($15) the postage cost is prohibitive. Has the USPS changed the prices for international shipping? I don't know how many are being sold at these prices, but it's certainly tougher trying to afford Esterbrooks in the UK nowadays.

Having said that, I'm looking at a nice SJ that can be had for less than $40 including postage to the UK, even though I don't need another 2668 nib... it does look awfully pretty, though...

The steel capped models (Safaris, perhaps?) seem less expensive, but not so common. Do they take the same nibs as the J/SJ/LJ models? If so, they're tempting. Do they take international/universal cartridges? Maybe a converter?

The Phaeton has a converter, if you can find one that has a good sac. I have one, and it's a nice pen. I like the Safari pump fillers also. The Safari cartridge pens need cartridges to refill, and converters don't seem to fit. The M2 squeeze filler pens can be resacked if necessary.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think the reason the Safari pens are inexpensive is because it is harder to source cartridges (affordable cartridges). You can find old cartridges but often it is almost $6 a cartridge.

I've read that a new-ish eBay shipping program has inflated international shipping from the US to ridiculous levels. Apparently it's the default method and certainly not required; it would probably be worth an email to the seller to ask about alternatives like good old USPS 1st Class international mail.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q