Ink: Writing And Duration

thygreyt

So, I enjoy writing for my daughter. Its the main reason and main source for writing.

I'm writing her stories and a bit of it all... they include all the happenings during the pregnancy of her, and now its about her infancy, etc.

Anyhow, out with the personal and into the question: The point of the writings is to give it to her on her 25th birthday.

My new fear: i've been using different Pilot Iroshizuku inks as well as MB mystery black... Will it fade?

How can i test the fading of ink? or what ink should i use?

Anything i can do to maintain what i have already writen?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• vjones

• thygreyt

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

The inks you quote should be permanent and not show any fading if kept in a journal, stored on a bookshelf.

There are several threads on fading of ink. Why not query the board and see what comes up?

Sounds like a great project. Hope you have several journals ready for her on her majority.

Enjoy,

PS: Write fast, they grow up so quickly.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

The inks you quote should be permanent and not show any fading if kept in a journal, stored on a bookshelf.

There are several threads on fading of ink. Why not query the board and see what comes up?

Sounds like a great project. Hope you have several journals ready for her on her majority.

Enjoy,

PS: Write fast, they grow up so quickly.

Yup, if you have the book closed and the ink isn't exposed to any water or chemicals, your writing will be perfectly legible by the time she's 25. If you want to be safe, you could select one of the bulletproof options from Noodler's -- I've also heard good things about Montblanc Permanent Black.

Yes, check out all of the fading news here... in the forum....

I just checked out the oldest writings I can find (which I kept on purpose). They were all done with my 51 in the 60s using Pelikan's 4001 Blue-Black. All kept closed (simply in a pile of paper) out of the sun. Still readable as if I had written it a few days or months ago.

All that should work with any other IG ink, e.g. older MB Blue-Black ID-No. 12574 or Midnight Blue (105194). Note: MB Midnight Blue 109204 is not an IG ink. Or Old Lamy Blue-Black (the curren bb is also no longer an IG ink.

Sticking to MB, their new Permanent Blue and Permanent Black will also survive lifetimes. Just keep things out of the light.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

What a great project!

If you search for the Fade Olympics in this forum, you'll see a range of tests that have been conducted over the years on many popular inks. This will give you an idea of the durability of the inks in question.

Some inks are well known for their ability to withstand time. Iron gall inks are excellent, and some of the new brands like KWZ Inks perform well from all pens and maintain the iron gall characteristics. You can also find iron galls that are used by registrars and official documents. I've used Diamine's registrar ink with good results from Esterbrook J pens (my test pens for iron gall inks). Another type of ink in this category designed to stand the test of time are the nano pigment inks. Sailor and Platinum make variations of these, and I've used these in Sailor and Platinum pens on even the cheapest copy paper.

To maintain what you've written, definitely keep your writings out of the light. Don't leave them in a box out in the garage with a wide range of temperatures and humidity. Carefully consider your future writings on good (acid free) paper to make sure the paper isn't the weakest link in the longevity of your work.

Keep writing--it's worth it!

Buzz

This is a good question to ask for things that you want to preserve. In my personal experience I've been disappointed with R&K Scabiosa and Salix. I like the colors but I have examples from five years ago that have faded considerably (in a closed book). It may well be that the inks weren't agitated and/or the pens were too dry, but there can be an issue with these inks. Noodlers Heart of Darkness, which I was using at the same time, really held up like a champ though. Holds up to water pretty well too. Too bad basic black gets a bit boring.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses.

The idea behind the journals is a time machine. I always found it... dissapointing that i was never to meet my parents at my same age. As in: when i was 0 they were 27 or whatever, and at no point in time or in life will we be able to be the same age, same time, similar problems, mindset, etc.

So for my daughter i'm leaving behind who i am today, yesterday and in a few days. I have been writing to her since her mother was pregnant, and will "stop" writing to HER when she is around 1 year old. After that i will keep on writing but it wont necesarily be part of her 25th birthday's gift. So in a way i want her to meet the flawed yet real person i am. To understand what i lived, how, what i did in the situations, how i think, and so on.

Part of the gift, on top of the journals will be a fountain pen for her to write...

Again, thanks! and i will indeed take a peek on those threads referring to ink fading.

Is there a FAQ or guide to the Fade Olympics? I checked out some of the threads, but I couldn't quite understand what the procedure is, how long the inks stayed out in the sun, etc.

I'm here. :)

Check out the links on the first post of this thread.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/248800-fade-olympics-2013-sponsored-by-t-l-v-p-p/

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY