The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Finally, You Are All Here-my Snorkel Collection

snorkel

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:22

I started to get interested in Snorkel when a friend gave me a Snorkel Valiant, after took a closer look at this series, I decided to make this series as one of my majors.

I focus on different colors, and take models into consideration at the same time. Now, I have all the colors and almost all the models. Well... Snorkel Masterpiece is too hard to find one. :( I have to admit it that some of them are really hard to find, it is almost impossible to find a rare color Snorkel in China, I have to hunt on ebay. Fortunately, I collect them all in four months, it is much quicker and easier than my imagination.

DSC00529.jpg

Left to right: Demonstrater, Triumph, black Autograph, burgundy Signature, pastel green Signature, gray Signature, fern Crest, peacock Sentinel, periwinkle Valiant, fiesta red Clipper, mandarin Statesman, pastel blue Sovereign, sage green Saratoga, vermilion Admiral, buckskin tan Special

DSC00534.jpg

Six rare colors, almost all of them are NOS, only Statesman is used

DSC00536.jpg

Two "not easy" colors

DSC00535.jpg

fiesta red and vermilion, they are relly hard to tell from picture if one of them is absent

DSC00537.jpg

pastel green, sage green and fern, they are easy to tell at a glance if the picture is clear enough

DSC00538.jpg

pastel bule, peacock and periwinkle, hard to tell, but not that hard

DSC00533.jpg

a mysterious gray Signature, maybe off-catalog or custom-made

Finally, you are all here!

Articles about Snorkel are easy to find, but most of them just give a outline of this series, some Chinese sources are even wrong, so I still have some questions.

Does a first-year Snorkel have a nib code?

Will a open nib Snorkel be a first-year Snorkel if it has golden tube and disk-type spring shoulder?

Sponsored Content

#2 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:56

Wow. Super impressive.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 17:02

Hmm.  I have a Statesman that I *thought* was aqua.  But looking at your photo of the three colors of blue, now I'm not so sure....

There was a Fiesta in the auction at the Ohio Pen Show with some great honking BBB (I think) nib.  I was really sleepy at that point in the auction, but hung around to see what it would go for -- and no, there was no way in hell I was bidding; I lost track when it was at around $180 US....  I think it ended going for over $200 but don't remember how high.  I was curious because I'd never actually seen one that color before (and of course the nib was really unusual...).

My three Snorkels, of course, are grey, black and the aforementioned "thought it was aqua but...".  But at least I seem to have different nibs on them.  The Statesman (the maybe aqua) is EF, I think the Grey Valiant is an M, and the black Valiant is probably an F.  I should try them against the Touchdown I just got, which has an M1 nib on it and compare for size.... (the Statesman was sold as an EF; of course, though, it was *also* sold as "restored"...  :angry:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 graystranger

graystranger

Beware of someone with one pen, they probably know how to use it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 17:32

Such a lovely collection you have. Thanks for sharing.

I hope you will write with at least one of these. I have two snorkels: an early 60's desk pen and a 1957 desk pen. I had both restored and am writing with them. Wonderful writing pens. The early 1960 pen has an M2 medium nib. The other has an F2 fine nib. I keep them inked and use them regularly as they seem to seal quite well in their base tulips.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

#5 Nellie

Nellie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 20:59

Swooon :wub:

Although I have to say that my two Snorkels are my heartbreak pens. Both the Saratoga and the PFM have the best nibs ever, but I cannot replace the sacs myself, so whenever they stop working it breaks my heart.

Posted Image

#6 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:09

Hmm.  I have a Statesman that I *thought* was aqua.  But looking at your photo of the three colors of blue, now I'm not so sure....

There was a Fiesta in the auction at the Ohio Pen Show with some great honking BBB (I think) nib.  I was really sleepy at that point in the auction, but hung around to see what it would go for -- and no, there was no way in hell I was bidding; I lost track when it was at around $180 US....  I think it ended going for over $200 but don't remember how high.  I was curious because I'd never actually seen one that color before (and of course the nib was really unusual...).

My three Snorkels, of course, are grey, black and the aforementioned "thought it was aqua but...".  But at least I seem to have different nibs on them.  The Statesman (the maybe aqua) is EF, I think the Grey Valiant is an M, and the black Valiant is probably an F.  I should try them against the Touchdown I just got, which has an M1 nib on it and compare for size.... (the Statesman was sold as an EF; of course, though, it was *also* sold as "restored"...  :angry:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Some of them have color aberration, my photos are not accurate enough to be a reference.

My fiesta came from a friend, I gave him a vermilion Sovereign and he gave me fiesta in exchange. That's very nice of him, make my collection complete.

My Snorkels are F or M, EF is terrible for me. I want a flex or music nib if possible, but they are rare and expensive. :wacko: 

#7 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:12

Such a lovely collection you have. Thanks for sharing.

I hope you will write with at least one of these. I have two snorkels: an early 60's desk pen and a 1957 desk pen. I had both restored and am writing with them. Wonderful writing pens. The early 1960 pen has an M2 medium nib. The other has an F2 fine nib. I keep them inked and use them regularly as they seem to seal quite well in their base tulips.

Snorkel's barrel is too thin for me, I use Montblanc 149 every day. 

#8 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:17

Swooon :wub:

Although I have to say that my two Snorkels are my heartbreak pens. Both the Saratoga and the PFM have the best nibs ever, but I cannot replace the sacs myself, so whenever they stop working it breaks my heart.

Just try to restore them, not that hard.

I never mind whether the Sheaffer is restored or not when I hunt on ebay, I restore them all when I receive them. B)

#9 Nellie

Nellie

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:30

Snorkel is too hard for me. They'll just go on a trip to fountainbel yet again.

Edited by Nellie, 26 November 2015 - 11:31.

Posted Image

#10 robert1962

robert1962

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:56

This takes dedication and a pocketbook ($$$). Very nice. A beautiful example of focus, and of study. It is certainly a non-trivial endeavor to distinguish those so very similar reds on Ebay listings! You must be a bit of a confident gambler at heart!

Wow!

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

#11 Peppers

Peppers

Engineer!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:45

I truly can't decide which color I like best when looking at all of them. Beautiful collection. Hoping that you rotate them often.  :D

-Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

#12 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 16:35

This takes dedication and a pocketbook ($$$). Very nice. A beautiful example of focus, and of study. It is certainly a non-trivial endeavor to distinguish those so very similar reds on Ebay listings! You must be a bit of a confident gambler at heart!

Wow!

Bob

Actually, I didn't distinguish them, my vermilion is Admiral, Admiral was never made in fiesta red, and fiesta red came from a friend.

#13 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 16:40

I truly can't decide which color I like best when looking at all of them. Beautiful collection. Hoping that you rotate them often.  :D

-Peppers

I like periwinkle most!

#14 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 16:41

Can anybody answer my questions?  :unsure:

#15 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2015 - 22:27

Can anybody answer my questions?  :unsure:

I can't help you with the nib codes, but in regards to the gold Snorkel tubes, they are found in early 1952-53 Snorkels from about the 1st year of production.

See Daniel's post at #19 in this thread:

http://www.fountainp...n-snorkel-tube/

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

#16 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:13

I can't help you with the nib codes, but in regards to the gold Snorkel tubes, they are found in early 1952-53 Snorkels from about the 1st year of production.

See Daniel's post at #19 in this thread:
http://www.fountainp...n-snorkel-tube/

I know the gold tube. Almost all the first-year Snorkels I have ever seen do not have a nib code, so I think the first-year Snorkel does not come with a nib code, but I am still not sure because I can not find any evidence for that.
BTW, I do not believe that the gold tube is made of solid gold, maybe brass I think.

#17 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:16

I know the gold tube. Almost all the first-year Snorkels I have ever seen do not have a nib code, so I think the first-year Snorkel does not come with a nib code, but I am still not sure because I can not find any evidence for that.
BTW, I do not believe that the gold tube is made of solid gold, maybe brass I think.

Of course, the snorkel tube is not made of brass, which ink will destroy.

It's made of 14 karat gold.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh, 09 December 2015 - 06:19.

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

#18 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:30

An excerpt from a document "Development of the Snorkel" by W.K. Olson, Director of Research at Sheaffer in the 50s, where he states that the tube is 14K gold.

23131856673_325537cdf4_o.png

The collector formerly known as
RobertNFrappuls

#19 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2015 - 13:06

An excerpt from a document "Development of the Snorkel" by W.K. Olson, Director of Research at Sheaffer in the 50s, where he states that the tube is 14K gold.

23131856673_325537cdf4_o.png

En... That convince me. Does the document mention anything about the first-year nib code?

#20 MattChiang0929

MattChiang0929

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2015 - 13:19

Of course, the snorkel tube is not made of brass, which ink will destroy.

It's made of 14 karat gold.

--Daniel

Well... That's a little luxury! Daniel, does a first-year Snorkel have a nib code?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkel

Sponsored Content

|