Put Bay State Blue In A Dedicated 74¢ Pen?

Dickkooty2

I like the blues but I am not an ink guy. I try to collect primarily representative samples of Pelikan/Pelikano and other black German pen brands from the 50's - 60's. I have Pelikan Koenigs Blau and a blue/black, a straight-leg blue. and a very nice Holy Mackeral Sapphire Blue.

I gather from the conversations in this section that it is probably a good idea to have a dedicated pen for the Bay State saturated Blue.

I have just ordered a Jinhao 450 for 74¢ including shipping. Before I order a bottle (probably the 3oz size) of Bay State Blue:

• Do you inksters think that this will be a good working combination?

(at 74¢, I'm not too concerned if the pen isn't the right one, or staining, if it is)

Dick

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dickkooty2

• Ink Stained Wretch

• tmenyc

• J_MM

Sure. I'm thinking about doing the same but with a Platinum Preppy.

I don't know for sure, but am under the impression that the staining is primarily to the clear parts, such as demonstrators and view "windows" like on the Lamy Safari. Converters would also be affected, and that's the only transparent part of the X450. It's possible staining may not be a real issue on that pen.

Edited by snowbear

Jinhao in general has a ventilated cap.

Batystate is risky in that pens, because it dry fast on nib, and then is difficult to clean it.

I had problems with jinhao and bsb, unless using the pen every day.

Preppy is perfect because it has the "slip&seal" cap, and it is on my opinion the very best pen for using bsb.

Jinhao in general has a ventilated cap.

Batystate is risky in that pens, because it dry fast on nib, and then is difficult to clean it.

I had problems with jinhao and bsb, unless using the pen every day.

Preppy is perfect because it has the "slip&seal" cap, and it is on my opinion the very best pen for using bsb.

I also had great luck with BSB in a Pilot Varsity. It never evaporated at all.

I've benn thinking about doing this for some time. This thread has now inspired me to go buy a Platinum Preppy.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Thank you, Inksters! This type of instant informed advice makes FPN the greatest!

I happen to have a spare Platinum Preppy And even with a BLUE cap! I shall clean it up to be ready for Noodler's Bay State Blue.

I haven'r received my 74¢ Jinhao 450 yet. While I don't like the heavy weight of the metal pen, it is still interesting to have a working fountain pen from a major manufacturer delivered to my door for 25¢ less than a dollar (alright, 26¢ less than a dollar, but at this price, who counts?).

Thank you all again!

Best from Hood River,

That Dick in town mentioned above

With BSB in the Preppy I'd be bothered by the thin line. Those Preppys can really write extra fine.

The Preppy costs more than 74¢ too. Well, I guess it's a cheap enough fountain pen that it's worth risking for the fun of using the naughty BSB.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

With BSB in the Preppy I'd be bothered by the thin line. Those Preppys can really write extra fine.

The Preppy costs more than 74¢ too. Well, I guess it's a cheap enough fountain pen that it's worth risking for the fun of using the naughty BSB.

My thought exactly!

And I don't want to risk any of the German vintage brand examples!

Dick

There is also the Dollar 717i pen.

I think you can find it at a reasonable price on eBay.

We used those pens at the SF Pen Show for the ink testing stations. Darn decent pens for the price. And it is a clear pen, so you can watch the ink slosh in the pen.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I put Baystate Blue in a Platinum Preppy back when people were saying that it would cause an apocalyptic meltdown. It worked fine, nothing disintegrated, and it never even clogged after being unused for a month.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Hey, My 74¢ Jinhao x450 and the Bay State Blue both arrived yesterday on Black Friday. Exhausted from my over-nighter at Walmart where I was able to get a 93" television/computer screen/stereo system for $199.99 including a VR headset, I didn't open the writing materials until today.

And so it is ironic that i had the gall to try out both on the NYT crossword. The x450 at 74¢ is a perfect example with no blemishes that wrote write out of the envelope (at 74¢, no box). And the Bay State Blue has more intensity than the Diamine Sapphire Blue that I have in my Lamy 2000.

I will fill the Preppy as a ED as well.

I am a happy camper!

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Bay%20State%20Blue_zpsb5wcbl20.jpeg

Hey, My 74¢ Jinhao x450 and the Bay State Blue both arrived yesterday on Black Friday. Exhausted from my over-nighter at Walmart where I was able to get a 93" television/computer screen/stereo system for $199.99 including a VR headset, I didn't open the writing materials until today.

And so it is ironic that i had the gall to try out both on the NYT crossword. The x450 at 74¢ is a perfect example with no blemishes that wrote write out of the envelope (at 74¢, no box). And the Bay State Blue has more intensity than the Diamine Sapphire Blue that I have in my Lamy 2000.

I will fill the Preppy as a ED as well.

I am a happy camper!

Let us know if the BSB writing fades in the next couple of months. I've got some and I'm quite interested in this fading issue.

I'm waiting for my more expensive 7¢ fountain pen to arrive B) .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Let us know if the BSB writing fades in the next couple of months. I've got some and I'm quite interested in this fading issue.

I'm waiting for my more expensive 7¢ fountain pen to arrive B) .

Hi, Ink-Stained,

Unfortunately, I do not save my xwords. I either cut them in 4ths, using the back for scratch paper or print the next day's xword on the back.

I do notice that I am getting a lot of show-through on my printer paper Georgia-Pacific Premium Bright 24 pounds, 96 whiteness, so BSB may not be the greenest for this application.

Best,

Dick

You can cut BSB up to 50% by volume with water without losing any vibrancy, at least noticeably. That can fix the bleed and showing through. I run mine in a Preppy straight, since it doesn't bleed or show on the 90gsm paper of a Black n Red.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

BSB works great for me in an Esterbrook with a nice wet 2556 nib. Inexpensive pen, does not ever leak. Perfect for Suduko -- you can forget any chances of changing a number with that ink.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

The seal problem with X-450 caps is more at the base of the cap, which doesn't seal well.

I run a line of sticky tape around the shiny ring at the base of the barrel, clip the cap on, and trim off the excess. It really improves the drying out problem.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching