Notebook Recommendation Please

HCD

I'm looking for a notebook near a A5 size like the moleskin cashier but with more FP friendly paper any recommendation?

Price about the same as moleskin 9€ for a pack of 3

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HCD

• SaskNapolean

• sidthecat

• DrDebG

Do you mean A6 (pocket notebook)? The Clairefontaine pocket notebook has the paper that we love and even has twice as many pages as similar sized ones (Field Notes).

Check out my new blog, thepenhaul.com

It was A5
But i have found a top wire bound canson "XL" sketch pad A6 that is very good, the paper is a litle rough but very very FP friendly comes with 50 sheets for 3.95€. it as a hard cardboard back and a orange cover from paper with 200g/m2 or more

Thanks for the help

I have read somewhere in this forum that the Rhodia Webnotebook (A5) is superb for fountain pens. I am about to order one.

Gotcha! I really enjoy the Black n Red notebooks as well. I actually just wrote a review on them :). I 2nd the Rhodia webnotebook and Leuchtturm can be decent as well.

Check out my new blog, thepenhaul.com

You're not gonna find that attribute in Moleskine paper. It's just not fountain pen friendly. You can probably get the price you're looking for through TWSBI.

I'm not a fan of Moleskine. Apart from the name, there is nothing traditional about it.

I've been searching high and low for good notebooks. My favorite journals are Alwych, which are made in Scotland. You can get them at European Papers online.

I've also been hunting for a strange little US brand called Ecosystem (I know, the name is not very promising). The paper is dense, white, very fp friendly. The binding is traditional and each page is perforated (but you don't really see that). I highly recommend that for a notebook. On Amazon it gets 100% satisfaction rating, and I've finally ordered a few replacements since I can't seem to find them in stationery stores.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Hello HCD!

The Clairefontaine Unplugged in A5 is probably your safest bet. They are available here:

http://www.notemaker.com.au/clairefontaine-essentials-duo-book-a4-ruled

Notemaker is based in Australia. I've used them a couple times and they are great, no affiliation....

I don't know of the shops that are closer to you in Portugal but I'll do some searching and report back if I do....

Hello HCD!

The Clairefontaine Unplugged in A5 is probably your safest bet. They are available here:

http://www.notemaker.com.au/clairefontaine-essentials-duo-book-a4-ruled

Notemaker is based in Australia. I've used them a couple times and they are great, no affiliation....

I don't know of the shops that are closer to you in Portugal but I'll do some searching and report back if I do....

they are just what i was looking for but Australia is still far and the shipping will not be cheap but i'll trie do find that particular model in EU thanks

I'm also a fan of Black 'n Red which I buy on Amazon. They are priced very reasonably...much less expensive than Rhodia and Clairefontaine.

they are just what i was looking for but Australia is still far and the shipping will not be cheap but i'll trie do find that particular model in EU thanks

Given that Clairefontaine comes from France, you should be able to find a reasonably close supplier.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I'd suggest a Franklin-Christoph Firmaflex journal. They are reasonable and have great FP friendly paper.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Given that Clairefontaine comes from France, you should be able to find a reasonably close supplier.

i've found cult pens in the uk and they have a nice selection of clairefontaine

Clairefontaine have a new size, slightly wider than A5 (code 922c) 16.5 x 21 cm, cloth bound, 192 pages. I buy them in bulk lots from Bureau Direct in the UK. Good value, takes ink well, and comes in various line types (I use grids).

I've tried some of the other brands mentioned, and wasted good money on them. One brand from Japan (Mnemosyne that people seem to like) comes with a metal ring binding which catches on things in my bag. Rhodia is owned by C/F. Moleskin is unsuitable for FPs (Hemingway didn't use them as they didn't exist then), and if it matters they are made in China, not Italy.

...be like the ocean...