The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Al-Star And Liberty's Elysium

lamy al star

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fitz123

fitz123

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2015 - 21:07

Liberty's Elysium is my second favorite blue (Kon-Peki is first) but it dries so fast on many nibs. I am thinking of buying an Al-Star to keep said ink in all the time for every day use. Does the Al-Star and this ink combo cause quick nib drying? or does it stay fairly wet?

+AMDG+

Sponsored Content

#2 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2015 - 17:00

I don't know about this very combo, but my AL-star is generally quite wet. The Noodler's inks I have used in it (bulletproofs) have been very wet.

YNWA     JFT96

Instagram: inkyandy

#3 fuddmain

fuddmain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:02

I've found brand new Al-Stars and Safaris often write dry.  I will take a very thin piece of metal, like a razor blade, and work it between the tines.  That does the trick for me.  Lamy's are excellent pens.

~Brian

"Mostly I just kill time, and it dies hard." - Raymond Chandler (The Long Goodbye)

#4 arcadeflow

arcadeflow

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:48

I've found brand new Al-Stars and Safaris often write dry.  I will take a very thin piece of metal, like a razor blade, and work it between the tines.  That does the trick for me.  Lamy's are excellent pens.

I've had the same experience. Once you adjust the nibs, they are great. Some nibs come well adjusted (the nib tines don't touch) while others are dry (nib tines touch).

#5 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:53

I have a Lamy Safari and an Al-Star, as well as as several nibs, including a 1.1, 1.5, F and M nibs. Both of my Lamys are neither dry nor wet. They both work well with the Pilot Iro inks,although like most of my other pens, Iro inks feel like I am writing with water. I've used a few Noodler's inks and they worked well in the Lamys. But truthfully, I don't care for the Noodler's formulation. It is too heavy and leaves a bit of residue on my non-absorbant papers (i.e. Tomoe River, Clairfontaine, Rhodia and Midori). It does work well on more absorbant varieties include copy paper (although you might see some bleed through).

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#6 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2015 - 17:58

I use it in an adjusted Baoer 388.
You may have to adjust the nib of the Lamy for adequate flow, and maybe polish the tip to eliminate any baby bottom profile. I found that a baby bottom profile on the tipping caused hard starting in several of my pens.

gud luk

Edited by ac12, 24 November 2015 - 17:58.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, al star

Sponsored Content

|