Sailor Kobe # 51 Kano Cho Midnight

visvamitra

Finally received mine. Not really loving the colour - it's lacking some drama...

Blue-black isn't a very exciting color, that's true. This is a nice, very dark blue that has a rich look on the page. Give it some time, it might grow on you.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• chromantic

• migo984

• Ghost Plane

Blue-black isn't a very exciting color, that's true. This is a nice, very dark blue that has a rich look on the page. Give it some time, it might grow on you.

I have some blue-blacks that would be lining up to politely disagree with that statement (see my 111 ink scans, and specifically 4B, Nurebeiro and Shin-Kai)...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Nice work on those scans, it's obvious a lot of time and effort went into them. Some inks I had been curious about I see I can pass on while others have piqued my interest. We do have a couple of the same ones.

I have some blue-blacks that would be lining up to politely disagree with that statement (see my 111 ink scans, and specifically 4B, Nurebeiro and Shin-Kai)...

Agree. Blue-black are probably my favorite type of inks.

I just love 4B and Sei-boku!

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• 2 months later...

I just recently got this ink and am loving in but I wonder if any one else has noticed this ink is incredibly clingy. I cannot tell how much of this ink is left in my Pro Gear Slim because the convertor essentially looks black from so much ink clung to it? Anyone else notice this and have a remedy?

Haven't noticed, but it's quite hard to clean out.

To remove stains and discoloration I always start trying with Sailor Do-you, it usually works.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

No remedies to suggest, sorry. I have this problem with other dark Sailors - Tokiwa-matsu, Miruai - as well; just have to hold the pen nib down with the barrel off for a couple minutes and wait patiently for the ink to slide down, holding it up against a bright light or shining an LED flashlight through it may help a little.

• 6 months later...

I mixed 9 parts Sailor Souten with 1 part Old Manhattan Blackest Black, and I think it looks almost identical with similar properties.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

I mixed 9 parts Sailor Souten with 1 part Old Manhattan Blackest Black, and I think it looks almost identical with similar properties.

Thank you for the info: that’s very interesting. Does your mix exhibit the green-silver sheen of #51?

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thank you for the info: that’s very interesting. Does your mix exhibit the green-silver sheen of #51?

I don't really know. I wanted to get the color of writing as close to #51. Next time I mix some up I'll use a splash on paper to see and report it here.

How can that even be possible. Souten has red sheen and Old Manhattan has no sheen (that I remember) ?

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

You might be able to get a green sheen in a mixture that included Cross Violet. We know Kana-cho has a violet component and the Cross has a green sheen, though it is darker (and not as sparkly) than the bright green of Kana-cho.

How can that even be possible. Souten has red sheen and Old Manhattan has no sheen (that I remember) ?

No idea. Never used Old Manhattan.

I thought this ink was easily available? So why all the mixing?

I don't understand mixing an ink you can buy either. #51 is somewhat popular and often out-of-stock. cool-japan on ebay has it for $28 with free shipping from Japan. Vanness typically has it for $30 (currently out-of-stock).

I also don't understand the desire to mix inks, especially across brands.

I don't understand mixing an ink you can buy either.

I can think of a few motivations. One is that many people are intrigued by the practice of mixing colors.

Also, there are some of us who can't justify the purchase of so many bottles of ink, at $28-30 a bottle, and look for opportunities to expand our palette by mixing what we have.

Well a bottle of Sailor Souten and one of Noodler's (FPH) Old Manhattan Black will set you back $30 plus shipping (depending...) so I fail to see any savings, really. As others have commented, one really hasn't replicated all the qualities of an ink, such as sheen, lubrication, flow. Assuming that the unknown chemicals in the two (or more) inks doesn't cause unwanted reactions some time down the road.

If you want to do it because you find it fun or entertaining, great. No reason to not mix inks, go have fun.

I personally did not like the #51 Kano Cho Midnight; just looked like black in my wet pens.

I didn't realize I was such a heretic. Sorry.

I had Souten anyway and OMBB is just the best black stand-alone, plus it mixes very well. So I made a little up, maybe 3 ml. Like I said about the sheen: "Next time I mix some up I'll use a splash on paper to see and report it here."

I suppose I shouldn't. No worries.

I don't understand mixing an ink you can buy either. #51 is somewhat popular and often out-of-stock. cool-japan on ebay has it for $28 with free shipping from Japan. Vanness typically has it for $30 (currently out-of-stock).

I also don't understand the desire to mix inks, especially across brands.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/nagasawa/item/no51-4571411663048/

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/nagasawa/item/kobeink-bl/

@Enewton & White_Lotus: order from here. You won't be paying $25-30 per bottle. It would be around $22-23 per bottle,

Maybe even lower, including shipping if you take the small packet option.

Limit is 2 bottles per order.

I did use this once for gifting overseas and shipping was less than 1k yen.

No reason to mix now. :)

I didn't realize I was such a heretic. Sorry.

I had Souten anyway and OMBB is just the best black stand-alone, plus it mixes very well. So I made a little up, maybe 3 ml. Like I said about the sheen: "Next time I mix some up I'll use a splash on paper to see and report it here."

I suppose I shouldn't. No worries.

You’re not a heretic :-)

I have many, and varied, of bottles of ink, and have absolutely no need to mix “exotic” (or otherwise!) existing inks. But I do anyway. I even have sets of CMYK mixing inks (Octopus & the like), just so I can play around with new colours. I have mixed (ha ha) results :-)

It’s a fun way to experiment with your inks, and absolutely nothing to do with saving money (at least for me).

I hope you continue to mix......and show us your results,