Twsbi Models, Market Intention

brandonweng0426

We have a rumor(more like a joke) here in Taiwan, saying that every pen series TWSBI makes have very strong market intention. For example,

Diamonds are to become the most affordable demonstrator and next level pen.

ECOs are beating hard on LAMY safari- the highly recommend entry pen.

VACs are the most affordable demonstrator vacuum filler(the other pen is from a Japanese company).

Micarta is more of an experience product(said by the company), but might be targeting of getting a market share in the wood/special material collection.

Well, every pen company, every product may have a main focus or a logo/image, so this theory may be used in all company, but considered all the pen models from TWSBI, I have a feeling that TWSBI not only wants to make pen, but also has a strong competition intention.

By the way, The first pen published by "TWSBI" (not Montesa)-Diamond 530 is a reverse engineering of Pelican m800, though they didn't copy m800's piston.(These two pens are the same height when capped if I'm remembering this correctly)

What do you guys thing about this hypothesis, leave them here!

Edited by brandonweng0426

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• storyteller

• magnus919

• josepllcs

• Martinsroom

I don't know any don't care about their intention, but I do know and care about that TWSBIs are great pens and are an excellent value.

• 1 month later...

I never got one due to all of the breakage threads and stories that I hear

Magna est Veritas et Prœvalet

Inks: Waterman's Purple & Blue, Diamine Amaranth & Aqua Lagoon, Lamy Black, J.Hebin Lavender Blue

If you're in the UK and want to swap a sample let me know.

They had better have a purposeful market plan! The logic in your suggestions seems fine to me, but I don't think about it much. My logic is about cost and quality.

I have yet to own a TWSBI, but I intend to purchase one soon. I am trying to decide which one.

My biggest concern with TWSBI is the long lasting durability of the pen. Yes, they have had some issues (like all companies), but the question is have they learned and made the necessary modifications to their production. Or have they ignored the concerns and continue to produce faulty components.

I guess we shall see over time.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 2 months later...

We have a rumor(more like a joke) here in Taiwan, saying that every pen series TWSBI makes have very strong market intention.

There has to be more than intentions, in order to rival the competition in the long run.

I sincerely hope TWSBI can provide some long-term market shake-up. It is always a good thing for a new player to stimulate the older players, but for the moment I'm still waiting for them to be competitive on basic reliability. I have the feeling that in so doing, they would unfortunately lose their price advantage due to increased manufacturing and/or material costs.

We shall see...

If the theory was to be correct, they should not have stopped producing Micarta model, since now there is a segment of the market that is not covered.

By the way, they discontinued Micarta because of the high production costs (at least, is what they said) and the low demand. I wish they will launch a new model using Micarta design but made of other materials (I guess that the this reason to discontinue it is that when you filled the Micarta submerging the nib in the bottle of ink, the section absorbed part of the ink and changed the color a little bit; this happened to me...).

I was hesitant to get into TWSBI because of all of the reports of cracked pens. But most of those reports were for older models. I've got a Vac 700 now, and more recently a 580AL. No cracks. Yet. I particularly enjoy the 580AL. What a wonderful pen!

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

All my TWSBI's have stayed in perfect condition despite everyday usage and this has held true across the vac 700, 580, Eco and Mini. Each has written smoothly and required no tuning out of the box. To my eye the quality and reliability over the last year or so has outstripped a lot of the "older" names which have been hit and miss on the nib front especially at similar price points. Saying that the vac is not my favourite and the anti-leak mechanism is nothing but frustrating.

I've had TWSBIs since the Diamond 530, and that now includes an ROC edition, a 540, Vac700, Diamond Mini, Eco, and recently, Vac Mini. I love them all. I have had cracking only on one 530 section and Philip from TWSBI USA sent me a replacement section for free. The pens have held up fine, including the Diamond Mini, which went through a full wash cycle in my shirt pocket. Unintentionally, of course. Even though it was filled, it did not leak or come apart, thank goodness. After a bit of rinsing off and relubing the piston, it's still going strong. Even if I do get cracking in the future, I trust that TWSBI will make it right.

Those who avoid TWSBI because of a fear of cracking parts are missing out. That's all I can tell you. :-)

Edited by wikeh2004

Those who avoid TWSBI because of a fear of cracking parts are missing out. That's all I can tell you. :-)

Have not had issues with my 580 and have had it for about 16 months now. I like it so much I just picked up a Eco.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I think the theme for the next TWSBI pen model should be "Finally a TWSBI Pen that Posts Properly and is Balanced". Now I'll go back to watching my Eco's cap pop off.

Drone- While I agree that the ECO is not ideal for posting, both the Mini and the Vac Mini seem to post well and are balanced when posted. I've had no experience with any of the other models and therefore can't comment on their posting.