The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Imprinted Esties - Anyone Have Any Interesting Ones?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 inkandseeds

inkandseeds

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:22

I have a Commonwealth Edison, a Bell System, and a N. J. Bell Telephone Company. 

jdllizard, congrats on that Douglas one.  I'm envious.

Sponsored Content

#42 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:28

Here's my latest imprinted Estie. (I rubbed a bit of talc on the imprint just so it would show up better in the pics, but it is a very crisp, clean imprint)

FB_IMG_1452911331367.jpg

And still a Pontiac logo Estie on the way!
John L

#43 dasXFnib

dasXFnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:17

Here's my latest imprinted Estie. (I rubbed a bit of talc on the imprint just so it would show up better in the pics, but it is a very crisp, clean imprint)

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1452911331367.jpg

And still a Pontiac logo Estie on the way!

Even though it says "Engineering Department"......I can still picture Rosie the Riveter with this in her pocket as she worked on C-47s, circa 1943....!!!;)

(For those who are too young to remember.....Google is your friend....!! :rolleyes: )

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

#44 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:22

Even though it says "Engineering Department"......I can still picture Rosie the Riveter with this in her pocket as she worked on C-47s, circa 1943....!!!;)
(For those who are too young to remember.....Google is your friend....!! :rolleyes: )

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

I know what you mean. It intrigues me a great deal to think about who may have used this pen, and what sort of planes from that era it may have been involved in the design of. The stories that could be, is what makes this pen special for me. Even though it's not a Bandless, I wonder if it saw use during WWII?
John L

#45 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2016 - 15:07

It intrigues me a great deal to think about who may have used this pen <snip>

I think this is my favorite thing about vintage pens - wondering about the stories the pens would tell about their owner(s) and what they wrote.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

#46 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2016 - 17:49

I think this is my favorite thing about vintage pens - wondering about the stories the pens would tell about their owner(s) and what they wrote.

I just sold a Conway Stewart 57 with a box.  In the lid, remembering how small and narrow they are, was a drawing of a scantily clad female that was pretty good.  On the bottom of the box, there was writing that had faded with time.

#47 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:51

Got the idea to post this from a post in the Parker forum. I have a couple of the common ones and a few that are a bit cooler. Here are mine:

Ax9qZRnl.jpg

From top:
1. 'Catholic Order of Foresters' J
1. 'Bell System Property' LJ
3. 'AAA' J
4. 'Hanover TWP Service Club' Transitional J
5. 'Good Luck - Hanover Township Service Club - World War 1941' Bandless Dollar (This one is BY FAR my favorite!)

I just acquired a nice dark copper, or "rootbeer", bandless dollar Estie, imprinted with:

GOOD LUCK
HANOVER TOWNSHIP SERVICE CLUB
WORLD WAR 1941

It appears to be an identical twin to the bottom one in the picture. But it has got to be the prettiest copper Estie I've ever come across, so dark and rich with some lovely streaks.

Oh, and I've also recently been able to purchase a Black Estie J with the "Pontiac logo, 1953" imprint. Both found on fleabay.
John L

#48 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:06

I love this inscription so much I'm tempted to change my name to Carroll. My "new" Delux. 

fpn_1460747668__image.jpeg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#49 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2016 - 13:18

You could have one imprinted OLD MAN ANDREW.

But seriously, the imprint quality is so much higher than the current appearance of a laser engraving. Or whatever is being used now. How were these charming imprints executed?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#50 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• Member - Gold

• 3,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2016 - 17:39

A few months ago a machine for doing the imprinting came up for auction on eBay. It used metal letters which were heated and then pressed into the barrel. It was in pretty rough shape, otherwise I would have been tempted. I wasn't sure if it would have been possible to restore it to working order. Can't remember if it sold or not. Should have taken screen shots.

Anyone know how to restore the white in he letters? I think I read something about using Whiteout.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

#51 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• 4,204 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 18:25

When I want a "moderately permanent" solution, I use white china marker.  By 'moderately permanent, I mean, it will stay there as long as I want to, and it can be removed if I choose, but it is a pain in the butt.

For display purposes or photos, I use talc.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#52 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• Member - Gold

• 3,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2016 - 18:56

Cool. I have a wide variety of China markers inherited from my late father-in-law. I have choice of colors.

-Montaigne

#53 jbelian

jbelian

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:14

This blue Estie with National Future Farmers of America Organization Logo stamped on the cap. If only I can find a spare section to replace the cracked one so I can resurrect this pen.......
attachicon.gifIMG_0841.JPG

I have this same imprint on an SJ. Last I looked at it, it needs AT LEAST: both jewels replaced (cracked and bits missing), new J bar, and that may also be the one with a loose clip. Didn't matter: It's the FFA, for Pete's sake! Eventually I will have mastered all the repair skills on less injured darlings and then it will be time to restore her as well, cracked jewels and all.

#54 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• Member - Gold

• 3,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2016 - 17:05

Thanks, Greg. The china marker trick worked beautifully. 

I have a new one. It's an M2 that came to me completely unused. As far as I can tell it's never been inked, and the outside is flawless. The nib is great too, just like a brand new Esterbrook nib. 

I'm trying to track down Stan Allen, and have a weak lead. The Jersey Skiters were (are?) a snow skiing club. I can find no recent information on them, but they seem to have been founded in 1947 and were active up into the early 2000's at least. 

It's a quite handsome pen and I suspect it will soon be one of my favorites. The more I write with it, the more I like it. Anyone have any idea how to change the sac in one of these aerometric fillers? This one is still "fine" but I never trust 40+-year-old sacs if I can help it. 

fpn_1463158759__image.jpeg

-Montaigne

#55 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• 4,204 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 22:22

Thanks, Greg. The china marker trick worked beautifully. 

I have a new one. It's an M2 that came to me completely unused. As far as I can tell it's never been inked, and the outside is flawless. The nib is great too, just like a brand new Esterbrook nib. 

I'm trying to track down Stan Allen, and have a weak lead. The Jersey Skiters were (are?) a snow skiing club. I can find no recent information on them, but they seem to have been founded in 1947 and were active up into the early 2000's at least. 

It's a quite handsome pen and I suspect it will soon be one of my favorites. The more I write with it, the more I like it. Anyone have any idea how to change the sac in one of these aerometric fillers? This one is still "fine" but I never trust 40+-year-old sacs if I can help it. 

fpn_1463158759__image.jpeg

IIRC, Todd had said that the metal cage around the sac comes off, and the replacement is much like a Parker 51/ 21 aero filler fix.

I have never replaced one myself. 

Regards, greg

Boy was I way off.  Darned brain, trying to remember things.  Redacted so someone doesn't stumble upon a wrong answer and try to put a plyglass sac in there.  :)

greg

Edited by gregamckinney, 14 May 2016 - 23:15.

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#56 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2016 - 23:05

It's the same #16 sac as any other Esterbrook.  The metal shroud is held on the section by three points punched around the base.  You have to gently pull them back to remove them, then change the sac.  You restore it by following the track marks.  Yes, you risk having a loose squeeze assembly.  I have not yet perfected my technique.  Yes, I have more M2 pens than I really want.

#57 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:04

I've added another to the collection. Pics don't do it justice, it's a lucious Ruby red in near mint condition. 2556 nib.

FB_IMG_1464324566440.jpg
FB_IMG_1464324578595.jpg

This must be an unusual one, because the only reference to another one like it I've found through googling, was in an old thread here on FPN from 2011, Of which it appears to have been deciphered as "BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION OF RAILWAY EMPLOYEES".

http://www.fountainp...assn-of-ry-emp/

Please advise if that's incorrect.
John L

#58 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:59

I've added another to the collection. Pics don't do it justice, it's a lucious Ruby red in near mint condition. 2556 nib.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1464324566440.jpg
attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1464324578595.jpg

This must be an unusual one, because the only reference to another one like it I've found through googling, was in an old thread here on FPN from 2011, Of which it appears to have been deciphered as "BENEVOLENT ASSOCIATION OF RAILWAY EMPLOYEES".

http://www.fountainp...assn-of-ry-emp/

Please advise if that's incorrect.

So that was you....I fell asleep on this one.   :P

#59 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 18:12

So that was you....I fell asleep on this one.   :P

HeHeHee! :D

Slacker :P

Edited by jdllizard, 27 May 2016 - 18:14.

John L

#60 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• Member - Gold

• 3,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2016 - 18:25

It's actually the Benefit Association of Railway Employees. There were two entities with this name. 

One is a company. Today it's http://www.trustmark...a/tmk_timeline/  on their timeline it says it was founded in 1913, changed their name from Brotherhood of All Railway Employees to Benefit Association of Railway Employees in 1917 and functioned under that name until they changed their name again in 1963 to Benefit Trust Life Insurance Company.   

But I suspect this is from the second entity, " the fraternal lodge system closely associated with the BTL since its inception" which closed its doors in 1974. This would have been considered a fraternal benefit association and the insurance run as a part of the fraternal order. It seems that the business very quickly became much larger than the fraternal order.

Here's a reference in the Illinois Dept. of Insurance report for 1917 recording the change. https://books.google.com/books?id=PwkaAQAAIAAJ&lpg=PA913&ots=kn3iF4Jnop&dq=order%20of%20benefit%20association%20of%20railway%20employees%20fraternal%20lodge&pg=PA14#v=onepage&q=order%20of%20benefit%20association%20of%20railway%20employees%20fraternal%20lodge&f=false 

I suspect you have a pen from Lodge number 13 in Chicago. I haven't found any documents directly from the fraternal order, but I suspect something may be out there. 

Nice find! And gorgeous pen. 

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|