The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Imprinted Esties - Anyone Have Any Interesting Ones?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 DanDeM

DanDeM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 23:08

A Skunk with lipstick

The guy who used this took a moment to add the NY Tel sticker, maybe to help ID his pen from all the others;

maybe some pride in the Company; probably both.
Este%20Blk%20LJ-Bell%20Systm%20-%2006_zp
In any case, he has my respect.
Este%20Blk%20LJ-Bell%20Systm%20-%2009_zp
When I got the pen the lever felt wrong. Pulled the section, the sac was fine. Gave it some talc and picked up the barrel.

This fell out...
Este%20Blk%20LJ-Bell%20Systm%20-%2002_zp

An eraser and a broken JBar. The bar was wedged under the lever by the eraser jammed into the bottom of

the barrel. That’s the kind of guy I want to have fixing my phone. Hell, he can fix my toaster, if he wants to.

Not a desk jockey, a real problem solver.

Edited by DanDeM, 24 November 2015 - 23:12.

Sponsored Content

#22 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:11

A Skunk with lipstick

An eraser and a broken JBar. The bar was wedged under the lever by the eraser jammed into the bottom of

the barrel. That’s the kind of guy I want to have fixing my phone. Hell, he can fix my toaster, if he wants to.

Not a desk jockey, a real problem solver.

Actually, that's a legitimate "factory modification" to fix a spacing problem.  I've found erasers put in back of more than a few short J-bars installed in full-size pens. Looks like they ran out of long J-bars, and to keep the production line going, used the erasers to properly position short bars under the lever.  And if they ran out of erasers, they'd use whatever was at hand.  One person I know found a wadded-up piece of a dollar bill behind the bar in his pen ...

Now, what actually broke your J-bar may have been something else entirely, or some added stress caused by the eraser (which would take some serious research and testing to ascertain) .... 

BTW, NY Tel Co is where Richard Esterbrook V, Dorothy Jean's father went to work in 1918, following WW-I as an engineer.  He retired from there in 1958.  There are Esty J-pens with regular engraving of "Property of New York Tel. Co" on them.  Yours is an oddball with the sticker; and just might be one of the first ones purchased before they went to the engraving ....  who can say? 

Edited by Hobiwan, 25 November 2015 - 08:24.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#23 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 18:18

I have a few intersting, IMO items (please forgive my terrible photos) :

First, a variant on the RCA Victor pen:

A pencil for someone who didn't bowl a 200.  Seems like perhaps a 'participant' item:

esterbrook-imprint-rca-bowling.jpg

Second, a black J:

esterbrook-imprint-logo.jpg

And finally, a group.  Not sure what this shows.  My best guess is that this is part of a sample, showing the kind of imprinting possible:

esterbrook-imprint-samplesQ.jpg

Regards,

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#24 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2015 - 18:36

I have a few intersting, IMO items (please forgive my terrible photos) :

First, a variant on the RCA Victor pen:
A pencil for someone who didn't bowl a 200.  Seems like perhaps a 'participant' item:
esterbrook-imprint-rca-bowling.jpg

Second, a black J:
esterbrook-imprint-logo.jpg

And finally, a group.  Not sure what this shows.  My best guess is that this is part of a sample, showing the kind of imprinting possible:
esterbrook-imprint-samplesQ.jpg

Regards,
greg

Wow, since my first car was a well used (rusty) 1973 Firebird, and my second a 1968 Firebird, finding one with that Pontiac logo has now become a mission!
John L

#25 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2015 - 23:54

Here's a few interesting ones.

http://www.ebay.com/...eQAAOSwwE5WXipb

#26 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:09

I have an LJ with Bell Systems Property

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#27 Larry Barrieau

Larry Barrieau

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,077 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:27

MXMJ    I would go through the expense and the trouble to put a "Can anyone give me any information about the Hanover Township Service Club active during the war?"  in the local Hanover PA newspaper if I owned it.  Very cool and interesting.

To better see my icon     http://fpnlcb.shutterfly.com/pictures

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen.  (It's smaller than an sj)

#28 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:02

This blue Estie with National Future Farmers of America Organization Logo stamped on the cap. If only I can find a spare section to replace the cracked one so I can resurrect this pen.......

IMG_0841.JPG

Edited by zchen, 18 December 2015 - 06:07.

#29 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:09

This blue Estie with National Future Farmers of America Organization Logo stamped on the cap. If only I can find a spare section to replace the cracked one so I can resurrect this pen.......
attachicon.gifIMG_0841.JPG

What size Estie is it? I can check my parts bin for a replacement section. Yours free if I have one.
John L

#30 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2015 - 20:14

What size Estie is it? I can check my parts bin for a replacement section. Yours free if I have one.

Thank you, it's a regular J.

#31 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:25

Thank you, it's a regular J.

I've got a spare one and it's all yours if you want it, but there is a scratch on it from someone (before me) using a pliers or something to remove it. I am certain it can be polished out though with a tiny bit of work, shouldn't take much. Plus its free as long you help someone else, should the opportunity arise.

PM me your address if you want it.

All the Best
John
John L

#32 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,072 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2015 - 20:15

FYI

There is also a Hanover Township in Northampton County, Eastern Pennsylvanis

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#33 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 21:00

You might have my Aunt's pen, what is the last name?

Systems.

#34 robert1962

robert1962

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 December 2015 - 21:53

Wow, since my first car was a well used (rusty) 1973 Firebird, and my second a 1968 Firebird, finding one with that Pontiac logo has now become a mission!

PM me if you still want one. I have one that is the same as Greg's.

1980  -  '66 GTO - 389 - 4 speed - long hair.

2015  -  My wife's hand me down Camry and a baseball cap.

I think I can let the '53 Pontiac Estie go.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

#35 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:09

PM me if you still want one. I have one that is the same as Greg's.

1980  -  '66 GTO - 389 - 4 speed - long hair.
2015  -  My wife's hand me down Camry and a baseball cap.

I think I can let the '53 Pontiac Estie go.

Bob

Message sent!
John L

#36 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:47

Well it's been a good week for me and imprinted Esties!

As you can see above, I was generously offered a 1953 Pontiac imprinted Estie like the one in this thread that I coveted, and I jumped at the chance! He made me buy it by being a stand up guy, sending me the pen to inspect and then pay later if I am happy with it (his idea), I'd have just bought it sight unseen. His price was more than fair (though being a small town country boy, my math ain't so good, so who knows what the final amount I send may actually be ;-) ). I'll post pics when it arrives.

A HUGE Thank You to Robert1962 for that!

But wait, there's more! I was also able to score another imprinted Estie, "Douglas Aircraft Co. Engineering Department".

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

A bit of backstory, I'm an aircraft/flying fan. I love anything aircraft and flying related, my dad had a private pilots license when I was a kid, and he would even fly us different places on family vacations. He lost his license when they discovered he had high blood pressure, I was only about 4 at the time. I guess that was the rules back in the early 70's.

When I was older I myself took flight lessons and ground school, even though by then my own health problems guaranteed I'd never get my license (original intent before the health diagnoses was to join the Airforce), I just wanted to prove to myself that I could, and I wanted to be able to say I did it.

However, there's even more! My great uncle worked at McDonnell Aircraft Co., as an engineer in St Louis. McDonnell Aircraft later bought out Douglas to become McDonnell Douglas. So there's also a bit of sentimental value to me, (and yes I paid a bit more because of the sentimental value, but it was worth it to me).

I'll post pics of both when they get here. :D

*HAPPY DANCE!*

Edited by jdllizard, 11 January 2016 - 09:58.

John L

#37 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2016 - 20:53

Does it count that I have an Esterbrook 048 dip nib, their top-selling Falcon, impressed with the railroad "Burlington Route"? It's not a J pen, but is most definitely an Esterbrook, and it's imprinted with "Burlington Route." So, I'm saying it counts. :)

fpn_1452545498__burlington_esterbrook.jp

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#38 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2016 - 22:27

Does it count that I have an Esterbrook 048 dip nib, their top-selling Falcon, impressed with the railroad "Burlington Route"? It's not a J pen, but is most definitely an Esterbrook, and it's imprinted with "Burlington Route." So, I'm saying it counts. :)

fpn_1452545498__burlington_esterbrook.jp

I'd say it counts, and my grandfather worked at CB&Q, which later became Burlington Route, then Burlington Northern, and now it's BNSF, (or Burlington Northern Santa Fe). Most of my uncles were railroaders also, my brother's an engineer, dad was a machinist for BN.

Yeah, I'm kinda interested in trains too. LOL
John L

#39 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2016 - 22:33

Very nice! Have the 2464 on a Bell Systems pen. Very nice. I like mine.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#40 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 January 2016 - 22:48

Very nice! Have the 2464 on a Bell Systems pen. Very nice. I like mine.

I wondered if anyone would catch that. That's the other reason I didn't mind the price, I don't have a 2464, till now. :-)
John L

Sponsored Content

|