Parker Vacumatic - Os Burgundy Lockdown

MxMJ

Got my first Oversize Vacumatic today, got a HELL of a deal on it too. Dunno if I'm going to be able to keep it though, real life expenses suck!

http://i.imgur.com/sfQEHhhl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/syCbOLKl.jpg

Golden Pearl lockdown standard and an Emerald sub-deb for size reference.

Link to Full Album

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmanila

• Brian-McQueen

• mitto

• MxMJ

Have two of these burgundy OSes and they're gems in my collection. Just got a burgundy Senior Max myself and have other odd-sized red Vacs (but no Overmax yet like Brian) so I know how this can be an obsession ;) congrats on your first big one!

Check out my blog and my pens

i also have the slender max in burgundy; my vac-band major and thin-fat-thin senior are in golden pearl, though, so happy hunting to both of us. i did have one of those rare 1942 burgundy majors--a lucky find for $55 at the baltimore pen show--but traded it off to david i. for a duofold big red, which at that point i didn't have.... am holding on to a two-banded burgundy junior.

(to the OP: apologies for these digressions, but now you see what a slippery slope you're standing on!)

Edited by penmanila

Attractive pen. Definite proof, though, that I *don't* want an OS pen, when shown next to a "standard" size (I presume you mean a Vac Major). The Major I have is a good size for my smallish hands, and so is the Vac Junior Shadow Wave I picked up at DCSS in August.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

i also have the slender max in burgundy; my vac-band major and thin-fat-thin senior are in golden pearl, though, so happy hunting to both of us. i did have one of those rare 1942 burgundy majors--a lucky find for $55 at the baltimore pen show--but traded it off to david i. for a duofold big red, which at that point i didn't have.... am holding on to a two-banded burgundy junior.

(to the OP: apologies for these digressions, but now you see what a slippery slope you're standing on!)

No worries! Related comments are more than welcome, we don't have to only talk about my set. haha!

Attractive pen. Definite proof, though, that I *don't* want an OS pen, when shown next to a "standard" size (I presume you mean a Vac Major). The Major I have is a good size for my smallish hands, and so is the Vac Junior Shadow Wave I picked up at DCSS in August.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Yeah, Standards and Majors are about the same size but my Golden Pearl pen is a 'Standard' not a 'Major'. The Major replaced this model in the lineup. I tend to like smaller pens too, the Oversize is surprisingly comfortable to use. I have no idea how I would carry it around though, it would look pretty silly sticking out of my shirt pocket.

Edited by MxMJ

Such a nice pickup, congrats! The comparison shot is really handy too. Have been looking for a nice set like this for a while to no avail.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

PenManila, I am determined to find one of those long Majors in burgundy someday. If you want a junior, you'll have to go to Canada in the 50s. I've got a lot of different burgundy models, but I think I still might only have about half of them... It's a never ending search.

hi, brian, i do have the long major in burgundy (with the star clip, too, a nice bonus), but the 1942 one i mentioned that i traded away was the harder to find single-jeweled one... yes, my burgundy junior is indeed canadian '50s.

back to the OS, i agree with the OP that despite its size, it's very comfortable to use. of course it's the biggest in the vac line, but compared to other big pens like the duofold senior or the 149 or even the M800, it's a modestly sized pen. i'm on the road right now and have my burgundy OS in my pocket precisely because it's a good one to carry around.

hi, brian, i do have the long major in burgundy (with the star clip, too, a nice bonus), but the 1942 one i mentioned that i traded away was the harder to find single-jeweled one... yes, my burgundy junior is indeed canadian '50s.

back to the OS, i agree with the OP that despite its size, it's very comfortable to use. of course it's the biggest in the vac line, but compared to other big pens like the duofold senior or the 149 or even the M800, it's a modestly sized pen. i'm on the road right now and have my burgundy OS in my pocket precisely because it's a good one to carry around.

Didn't know the 1942 single jeweled one was hard to find/rare pen. I got mine for only $20.00.

Khan M. Ilyas

Rare only if it's burgundy and only if it's 1942 ;) there were burgundy single-jeweled ones made in Canada as late as the mid-1950s but they're nowhere as rare as the US 1942 ones. I'm told that these rare ones retail for about $600.

Edited by penmanila

Rare only if it's burgundy and only if it's 1942 ;) there were burgundy single-jeweled ones made in Canada as late as the mid-1950s but they're nowhere as rare as the US 1942 ones. I'm told that these rare ones retail for about $600.

Mine is single jewel 1942 burgundy USA made.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have one of the single-jewel burgundy vac majors. I assume it's Canadian, from the 50s, but it has no imprint. It's in such good shape, with crystal clarity, that I doubt someone buffed the imprint out completely. Does anyone know if sometimes a pen could be sent out from the factory that way?

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I have one of the single-jewel burgundy vac majors. I assume it's Canadian, from the 50s, but it has no imprint. It's in such good shape, with crystal clarity, that I doubt someone buffed the imprint out completely. Does anyone know if sometimes a pen could be sent out from the factory that way?

I have just received (yesterday) a UK made Parker 17 deluxe GT with no imprint on the barrel , whatsoever. The sac guard of the filler unit , however, says PARKER PEN CO LTD LONDON , ENGLAND.

Khan M. Ilyas