Delta Mezzanotte By Goldpen

Phormula

Goldpen "Mezzanotte" by Delta

Although I consider myself NOT a fountain pen expert, I had the pleasure to be involved in the development of this special edition.

I received one of the first pens produced, being asked to put it under stress, by using regurlarly for enough time to highlight pros and cons.

Since the actual production fountain pen, that can be seen and ordered at www.goldpen.it, may differ in some (minor) details from the one I reviewed, such as the font used for the embossing the serial number, I have decided to post no pictures.

You can find images of the actual pen on the website at this link:

http://www.goldpen.it/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1435&category_id=192&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

http://www.goldpen.it/images/fotodescrizione.jpg

Introduction

It does not happen to everybody to review a fountain pen that has been announced but not commercialized. Yet. By the time I am writing those lines, the pen that is sitting on my desk is a special one, it is one of the firsts made by Delta from Naples, Italy, to the request of Laura, owner of Goldpen Italy (www.goldpen.it), a well known fountain pen store located in Isernia, in the central part of Italy. With most of my surprise because consider myself a fountain pen user and definitely not an expert, Laura decided to send me one of the first pens produced and ask for a full "road test". I therefore have been using this pen for quite some time and I am here to tell the story. So, let’s start from the beginning, and please forgive me for my “good ‘ol broken English”…

A Delta "Dolcevita" in a black dress was a pen which I was missing. I consider the Delta "Dolcevita", with its 14K gold nib, one of the best pens of the "Italian school", which combines reliable performance with style and excellence in design that made Italian craftsmanship recognized worldwide. The equilibrium between the black cap, grip section and bottom cap cover and the vibrant orange of the cylinder, which is reminiscent of the lava from a volcano (no surprise, since the Vesuvius is nearby to the Delta factory), let the “Dolcevita” come out from the crowd without slipping into bad taste. The pen masterfully combines elements of ancient and modern design. The term beautiful is not enough to give justice to its design, I’d rather call it a masterpiece. Added to this is world-class writing performance. In spite of its significant dimensions, the “Dolcevita” with piston filling is an extremely versatile pen, suitable for daily use. The proof is that in my rotation of pens the "Dolcevita", in the "Mid-Size" version with piston filling, is one of the pens that never gives place to another. It is permanently inked with ink Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao (Morning Glory), a beautiful blue color that fits perfectly with an Italian a pen, reminding me of our blue summer skies.

If the class and the performance of "Dolcevita" are not under discussion, if someone wants to be really picky, the vibrant orange color of the barrel can be out of place in the most formal places, where design must give way to tradition, rules are rules and any deviation from the most formal approach is out of place. Noblesse oblige, just a detail out of place and suddenly class becomes sloppiness, as if a great statesman stood up to receive the Nobel Prize for Peace in a black suit and white shirt, but wearing a pair of shining pink shoes. The land of "Executive" pens is a territory populated by pens of high lineage (Montblanc above all), all dressed in dark suits, preferably black. Brand differentiation is left to detail. It is a real shame, because the "Dolcevita" and its sisters of the "Gallery" series are excellent pens, extremely versatile, that can be used with a wide variety of inks and paper types, often much more versatile than many of their competitors.

Sometimes not so long ago, somewhere in between Naples and Isernia, somebody must have read my mind, because they decided to create this "Mezzanotte" (Italian for “Midnight”) pen in all black livery, starting from the excellent technical base of the "Dolcevita" and "Gallery" fountain pens. And “Mezzanotte” is a really appropriate name, because it is perfectly suited to a pen as black as night, but, like a real night, that is not completely black. Anyone who has been lucky enough to take a look at the sky on a cloudless and moonless night, away from the light pollution of cityscapes, that paint the sky in a gray-orange tone through which only the brightest stars hardly shine, would had been surprised by the contrast between the black sky and the thousands of stars that shine in it. It s a unique show, which is worth admiring at least once in a lifetime, even if in our highly urbanized world it is becoming something more and more difficult to do. While the eyes contemplate this masterpiece of Nature, the mind cannot go back to our ancestors, and understand why the magic of the starry sky had fascinated humanity since ever. I still remember when I had such an opportunity. It was some years ago, during a summer holiday in Tenerife in the Canary Islands. On a moonless night after dinner I drove the car from sea level, where my hotel was, up to about 8000 ft of altitude at the base of the Mount Teide, the highest mountain in Spain. Above the blanket of clouds that often surrounds the island at lower altitudes, car headlights switched off, sitting on the ground immersed into total darkness and miles away from the nearest lamppost, I really saw the stars as they would have appeared to our ancestors on a clear night. No coincidence that those islands are full of telescopes, our Italian National Telescope Galileo is located in the neighboring island of La Palma. It's a unique show that one would never want to stop from admiring. If it was not for the biting cold of the night at such high altitude I would had stayed hours lying on the ground with my eyes wandering into the sky. Like a starry sky at midnight, the Delta "Mezzanotte" joins a strictly black background with design elements that stand out and enhance it, as the silver main ring, the logo of the brand and the smaller chrome rings.

Given this (long but required) premise, it is time to put pen under close scrutiny, i.e. when ink meets paper.

Aesthetics and design: 10 and “lode” (i.e. with honors)

Italian fountain pen enthusiasts do not need any introduction to the Delta brand. Despite being relatively young (it was established in 1982), the company has quickly gained a reputation among fountain pen users, thanks to the quality of its products, precisely hand-crafted and beautiful expression of the Italian design. The best known Delta pen, not only in Italy but also worldwide, is definitely the "Dolcevita", of which this pen is a derivation, since it keeps the design, “mechanics” and dimensions, to differentiate exclusively in color and details. It is therefore a well known Delta "Dolcevita Mid-Size" with piston filling, but in "Midnigth" dress, i.e. completely black design. As I said at the beginning, the pen I have is one of the first produced.

I got the pen in a black cardboard box, well known to customers of Delta because it is a “Mezzanotte” dedicated version of the standard box that the company uses as packaging for the pens of the "Dolcevita" and "Gallery" families. Inside it contains a little bottle of ink, the usual documentation, the warranty card and a plastic box sealed with a couple of screws that can be turned by hand. The box contains the pen itself. To ensure the necessary protection, both the pen and the bottle of ink are surrounded by plenty of foamed material. The ink has been formulated upon Goldpen request specifically for this pen. It is a package that makes the "Mezzanotte" a beautiful object to give and to receive as a gift. And the pen is immediately usable thanks to the ink bottle provided with it. Once again this shows the attention to detail typical of the company.

Once opened the package and taken the pen in my hands, my first thought was: "at least!" It was exactly how I expected it to be, based on Laura’s description on the phone: a "Dolcevita" in a more classic dress. A pen that it is a pleasure to take in the hand just to observe and play with without actually inking it. It is a pen that can find its place even in the most serious of the environments, it could be used by a President to sign an important treaty, which will ensure peace and prosperity for future generations. All plastic parts are made of black resin, with the exception of the window for the assessment of the level of the ink, partially visible also with the cap on. The visible metal parts are either plated steel or silver. As in the tradition of Delta, the cap bears the model name and serial number of the individual pen. The “Mezzanotte” will be manufactured as a special edition of 100 pens. The cap has a clip made out of a special steel grade with elastic properties and bears a small wheel to facilitate the insertion into the pocket. The original “Dolcevita” holds a silver ring engraved with a decoration of the Greek-Roman times, taken from the paintings in Pompeii. For the “Mezzanotte”, Goldpen has chosen a dedicated silver ring, bearing two design elements, the laurel leaves and the tip of the javelin (“saunion” in the ancient Greek language), bearing homage to the “Samnites”, i.e. the ancient population of the area of Italy where Goldpen is located.

Strong and proud people, the “Samnites” were the ancient inhabitants of “Sannio”, a part of Central and Southern Italy shared among the Campania, Abruzzo, Molise and Puglia regions. When ancient Rome started expanding in Italy, they surrendered to Roman soldiers only after three bitter wars and after having humiliated Rome in 321 BC with the defeat of “Forche Caudine”, remembered in the annals as one of the biggest defeats in the history of Rome. Despite the annexation of their territory, the Samnites continued to defend with pride their traditions and their identity, not hesitating to take up arms against the Romans. Centuries had to pass before a complete peace between the two peoples could be established. The “Samnites” also had a fundamental role in the “Marsica War” (91-88 BC), which ended with the granting of Roman citizenship to Italic populations.

On the end part of the cap there is the Delta company logo. Far from being kitsch and out of place, like a cappuccino after the pizza, the silver ring adds to the value and image of the pen. Like men's suits for very formal occasions, pens in black livery inexorably tend to resemble each other and then brand differentiation is allowed only by working on the details. The presence of these small elements makes this "Delta" perfectly recognizable, while making it suitable for any situation, from solitary diary keeping to the most formal of occasions.

The nib is made of 14K gold and is perfectly proportioned to the pen size. As per Delta tradition, the breathing hole is heart-shaped. It seems to indicate that the nib is the heart of a fountain pen. It bears the size, logo and company name. The pen I am testing has a medium nib. In my humble opinion this is the best choice of a pen like this, considering the size of the pen and the fact that the Delta 14K gold nibs are positioned among the average of European production, both in terms of width and of flow.

Realization and quality: 10

Nothing to say, it is a pen made with care, as proven by the lifetime warranty that Delta offers on its products. Materials are of high quality and parts are properly assembled, with no play, gaps or steps. The resin parts are thick enough to give a sensation of robustness, the cap is screwed on and the clip holds a small wheel to facilitate the insertion into the shirt pocket. Cap unscrewing requires a full circle, to avoid accidental opening. The company states that the clip is made with a special steel with high elasticity, to ensure years of use without permanent deformation. The starting point, the "Dolcevita" classic, is a pen that bears a reputation for its quality and reliability. My own “Dolcevita” despite some years of relatively intense use, is still in excellent condition, and I have no reason to believe that the "Mezzanotte" will be different from this point of view. I have this “Mezzanotte” into daily use for quite some time now, and even observing the pen carefully I cannot find signs of wear or indications that something is prone to failure. It is a pen that will be a faithful companion for years, settling for a good quality ink.

Two aspects are worth mentioning. The body of the pen has a useful transparent window to check the ink level in the pen, the company calls the window “reserve indicator”. As a demonstration of the care taken in designing the pen, the window is partially visible also when the cap is on and its dimensions are such as to ensure an adequate level of control of the ink level. As for the "Dolcevita", it is advisable to refill the pen as soon as the ink level becomes visible in the window. The "Dolcevita" and “Gallery” pens with the piston filling are known for their tendency to lose the last drop of ink when the ink tank is almost empty because the feeder looses the magical balance between gravity and capillarity that ensures proper and constant ink flow. In the Delta pens this is the price to be paid for enjoying an enviable consistency of performance, regardless of the ink level in the reservoir. The other thing worth mentioning is the operating knob of the piston filling mechanism piston, hidden from view and protected against accidental operation by a cap at the end of the barrel. The cap has to be unscrewed to access the mechanism and it is highlighted by a chrome ring that recalls the one at the base of the clip. The piston assembly is made of brass and it is equipped with a clutch mechanism, which protects it against damage if forced. Not so small details that testify the quality achieved by Delta.

Weight and dimensions. 9

It is not a small and light pen, also due to the presence of the loading mechanism protected by a blind cap. With the cap on, the pen is about 14 centimeters long, compared to the 13 centimeters of an average pen. Dimensions are significant, but up to the role that this pen is expected to take. Size matters, a pen like that is made to be noticed. Moving on to the weight, I measured 42 grams with full load of ink, which dropped to 29 by removing the cap. Despite the loading mechanism made of metal that adds weight to the end, the pen is properly balanced, indication of a proper ergonomic evaluation by Delta. It is not a pen that is particularly suitable to be used with the cap posted, because the cap, although not being particularly heavy, fits on the barrel for a little more than a centimeter, making the whole assembly particularly unstable and bulky. In addition there is the risk that in the long run, the cap will leave scuff marks on the resin of the barrel.

The grip is conical and at the point of smallest diameter it measures about 13 millimeters. From my personal side, I prefer pens with thinner grips, like those that were on fashion in the 80s and that are best suited to my tiny handwriting, but I must say that I got used quite quickly to the "Dolcevita" larger than my standard grip, so I felt immediately at ease with the " Mezzanotte ". Despite its size, weight and the nib size, the pen does not respond with the slowness of an ocean liner and “maneuvering” it on paper is quite easy, the pen is reasonably responsive also to small writing styles. Once again it is a testament to the philosophy of Delta, i.e. to make versatile pens that bear Italian design. The "Mezzanotte" is anything but a pen to be used only to make the signing of a contract. It is really suitable for everyday situations. If it were not for the price tag, you could even use it as a school pen, and this is a compliment, since school pens have to meet performance requirements and are beaten to levels that are unknown to many luxury pens. With a little care the “Mezzanotte” can be a reliable daily companion, both at home and at work.

Nib and performance: 8.5

The nib is 14K gold, generous in size and in my case it is a medium. Actually it is an "old friend", in the sense that it is common to the "Dolcevita" and the "Gallery" and therefore its performance is not a surprise for me. The “Mezzanotte” is available also with the “Fusion” nib, at a reduced price tag compared to the one with the gold nib. I have not used the ink supplied with the pen, as I chose to evaluate the pen using one of my favorite inks, of which I know characteristics and performance well. After the ritual water rinsing of a new pen to remove any residual traces of lubricants, I loaded it with the Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, who is the same ink that I'm using the "Dolcevita" since I bought it years ago. To my surprise, despite the two pens theoretically share the same nib and the same feeding unit and are loaded with the same ink, the width of the "Mezzanotte" stroke is slightly thicker and flow is a bit more abundant than the “Dolcevita”. However, I must say the difference is minimal and can be easily explained by the small tolerances between a pen and the other, which are typical of a craftsman production. By contrast, the smoothness is slightly higher. Nothing to worry about, you need to try the two pens at the same time and look really close to realize this. The section of "Mezzanotte" is comparable to that of a nib Lamy M, while that of "Dolcevita" is slightly thinner. I already noticed similar differences among different specimens of the same pen (even the ones from industrial production). In any case, the writing quality and experience do not come out compromised. Indeed, in my case, it was a cloud with a silver lining, because I immediately loaded pen with Caran d'Ache Magnetic Blue, which compared to the Pilot is a little less fluid ink. Like magic, the two pens have become again perfectly overlapping in stroke width, flow and smoothness. Another perfect “pen to ink” marriage.

All in all it is a great nib, according to the information that I found on the Internet it is manufactured by Bock, a German brand that it is truly a guarantee in the field. The nib is mounted on a feeder perfectly balanced. It is hard but not fully rigid and guarantees excellent feedback despite the grip larger than my taste. The smoothness is good, even if it does not reach levels of excellence. Once again, the right word is balance, nibs that are extremely sliding are often a joy but they can quickly turn into nightmares on very smooth paper, where they can lead to false starts or skippings. A minimum of resistance (just a minimum, I'm talking about a Delta pen, not about a John Deere plow) improves the feedback with the paper and facilitates control of the stroke. From this point of view the feeling of writing the Delta is equal to that of a high quality school pen and this meant to be a compliment. Despite the generous size of the nib, the pen starts writing without the slightest uncertainty, even after it is left uncapped for a few minutes or unused for a few days in a vertical position. As already said, the power supply is perfectly balanced and correctly dimensioned on the characteristics of the nib, the width is the average European and the flow is a touch higher than the average. The nib leaves on paper a nice mark of wet ink that enhances the nuances of the ink and is a source of joy for the enthusiast, without becoming a fire hose. This allows the pen to be used with almost all inks without having to write on very high quality paper designed for fountain pens. Also, and this again is no small thing, the characteristics of the line remain constant line by line and page by page, without being affected by the ink level in the tank.

If I do not give full marks is because of slight variations from one pen to another, which are not likely to jeopardize the pleasure of writing but a fountain pen nerd cannot retain from noticing. More than a defect, this is a testament to good craftsmanship. Delta pens, like the cars of the past, are the result of an artisan production, and slight differences between one and the other are part of the game. Like an old car, it also requires a “running in” period before they give the best of themselves. A preliminary wash and a couple of refills are enough of use to give time to the nib to settle and write well. It takes a little patience, the pen right out of the box writes well, much better than many other pens, but not as well as it could be. The “Mezzanotte” makes no difference. after about ten pages of “breaking in” I was rewarded with superb performance and a feeling of writing top notch. Once again, by a pen that, in spite of aesthetics and price tag, can be used daily on many types of paper and with a wide range of inks. An identical operation is required when changing ink, it takes a couple of pages of use before the pen gets married to the new ink and they become inseparable companions.

If this was a pen with a hundred Euros or dollars price tag, I would have given the highest marks. Clearly we are talking about a pen of a very different (and higher) price. We should assume that all pens of this price are good writer, but we all know that is not always the case. The world is full of pens, even more expensive than the “Dolcevita”, left alone in drawers because in spite of the coat of arms and the price tag, their writing performance is mediocre. Once again, congratulations to Delta for the quality of design and construction.

Loading and maintenance: 7.5

It is a piston filling pen. In a world in which the cartridge and converter filling system is becoming the standard, even on pens of value, this would be enough to give it full marks, without even trying. I am a supporter of the cartridges, which I consider the best way to use the fountain pen when travelling, especially by plane, with the restrictions and inconveniences of carrying inkwells in hand luggage. A cartridge can be replaced anywhere at any time, in a clean way and in a few seconds. The Pelikan International blue and black cartridges can be found in almost any stationery store in Europe. Moreover, the only maintenance required by a good cartridge pen a periodical rinse under the tap to remove any residuals and dried ink. However the availability of ink in cartridges is limited to a few colors that can satisfy those in search of a standard blue (Royal Blue) or of a black, but the limited choice of inks is frustrating for those who want to experience a kaleidoscope of inks, are in search for a definite shade of blue or simply want to achieve the "perfect marriage" between an ink and a pen. There is also the subtle pleasure of filling the pen from the inkwell, which for some fans may be a more rewarding act than using the pen to write. The hybrid solution, i.e. the converter, is a compromise. The possibility of using ink in the bottle has the drawback of a reduced autonomy, which does not go beyond that of a short international cartridge, forcing frequent refills, not always possible or practical in the field. Nothing can then pay off as a pen with a piston filling mechanism, created to be used with ink in inkwell and only with that. By contrast a pen of this kind is intrinsically more complicated and therefore more subject to failure. The piston seal must be guaranteed for years of use, with little or no maintenance. In the past this was a problem, today manufacturers use gaskets made of valuable materials that stand the test of time and contact with the inks. The only precaution recommended by the manufacturers is the periodic rinsing with water especially if you plan to store the pen unused for a long period.

Given this premise, the mechanism of the piston of the "Mezzanotte" is the same as "Dolcevita" and the "Gallery". It is a mechanism made entirely of brass, including the operating knob, which is hidden by a plastic cap on the bottom. The movement is very fluid and the mechanism is equipped with the clutch system, which prevents damage to the piston if you insist turning the knob when the piston reaches the final position. A real finesse that makes the idea of ​​the care with which Delta makes its products. Based on my estimations the tank capacity is about twice that of an international short cartridge. Considering the flow just slightly above average, this guarantees a good autonomy. Even assuming intensive use, a recharge is more than enough for a day of work or notes. I can easily write 20 Letter size pages with one refill.

If I do not give full marks is because, like the "Dolcevita" from which the “Mezzanotte” comes, you should not use all the ink in the tank, allowing the pen to go dry. If you do, it may happen that when the level in the tank is near to the end, the pen "gives in", releasing the last drop all of a sudden and flooding the feeder. The ink ends or on the paper or on the fingers of the writer, or both, with the inevitable consequences. It is not always the case, but if it were to happen, the result is quite unpleasant. Probably this is because the tank is very large and when it is almost empty the air inside compromises the magic balance between gravity and capillary action that allows the feeder to ensure the right flow of ink to the nib. It does not happen all the times, is more frequent if the ink is very fluid and to me happened at least once with all Delta piston fillers I got to use, including this one. I confess, in this case I did it on purpose, I deliberately got in trouble by filling the pen with a very fluid ink and continuing to write despite the ink level was well below half of the window and therefore I had plenty of warnings. Fortunately it is a problem of quite simple solution, just charge the pen before the ink level goes below half of the window, or, if you do not want to be constantly watching the level, when you notice that the flow begins to lean. In practice, one must consider the level in the window as the gasoline reserve of the car, you have to refuel when the reservoir light comes on or the gauge goes into the red zone, without waiting for the tank to be empty. Since I am doing so with my "Dolcevita", I had not the slightest problem, to the point that now I consider this more as a feature of the pen than a nuisance and I really hope that the company does not solve the problem, if to do so would mean reducing the capacity of the tank or sacrificing even partly the enviable constancy of writing performance. All Delta piston fillers I used I have paid for this small sacrifice with great autonomy and a stretch width and flow constant from beginning to end, even on long sessions writing, regardless of the ink level in the tank. Things that I have learnt the hard way not to give for granted on every expensive pen. In order to avoid such kind of trouble, some manufacturer tend to balance the feeder on the lean side. Most users will not notice this, but if you are like me and happen to write for hours without interruption (except for refilling or cartridge swap) you will notice that the ink flow tends to become erratic because the feeder faces difficulties in ensuring a constant flow of ink to the nib. Let me say that this Delta is as in the Italian sports cars of the past, that in exchange for some carburetion problem in the stop and go of city traffic, repaid with unique craftsmanship, exciting performance and a great feeling when driving on a race track.

Quality / Price 9

The “Mezzanotte" will be produced in a special edition of 100 numbered pens and sold by Goldpen at a price tag of 460 Euros for the pen with the gold nib and 375 Euros for the one with the Fusion nib. For me the choice is a no brainer, I’d go for the gold nib. Buying this pen with a steel nib would give me the same feeling of buying a sporty car with a small shouting straight four engine instead of a performing and sound pleasing V-8. However, this is my personal opinion only and I appreciate the choice of Laura to offer the pen allowing customers to choose among two nib types and several widths. Everybody can find his cup of tea. At these prices it would not be a steal but at the same time one could not say that you buy all image and no substance. The price could be considered adequate to the technical content, the quality of materials and assembly, the image of the brand, the quality of writing and, not least, to the fact that it would be a pen that you buy with the intention of using it for a long time. The Delta “Mezzanotte" is a high-quality fountain pen with a gold or “Fusion” nib and piston filling, no compromises in material quality, handmade from a solid bar of resin and sold with a lifetime guarantee.

Conclusions: 9

If I had to sum up my thoughts in one sentence, it would be this: "It was a pen of which I was missing". The Delta "Dolcevita Mid-Mize" is a pen that over the years has given me a lot of satisfaction, to the point of taking up a permanent place in my rotation. The "Mezzanotte" version, which combines everything good that's in the "Dolcevita" with a classic look and a touch of understatement guaranteed by the black livery, really fills a void. Congratulations to Laura for thinking about it and choosing a name perfectly adequate to the pen design. If I will happen to buy one, my “Dolcevita” might lose its permanent seat in my rotation.

Personal considerations aside, it is undeniable that with a pen like this Delta is able to stand with, and I would add, compete on equal grounds, with the renowned brands of “executive” fountain pens, those who have in common the “black dress”, the almost total lack of decorations and the reputation of the manufacturer. Black pens are associated to heads of state and senior executives. I believe that this pen can be considered a viable alternative, and in my humble opinion even more versatile, with Pelikan “Souverans” of equivalent price or the classic Montblancs. Of course, since imposing rules to Italians is almost impossible, Delta and Goldpen did it “the Italian way”, by allowing a little bit of decoration that allows the pen to shine like the stars in a midnight sky.

In conclusion, I would like to thank Laura for Goldpen, who designed this pen, Delta that made it and I really feel honored for being given the opportunity to try it for such a long time, more than enough to write this review. Now the hard to do (and a little bit sad) thing will be to part with this pen, pack it into its original box and mail it back to Isernia…

Edited by Phormula

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phormula

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic