Are There Any People In Your Life Under 21 Years Old Who Use/love Fountain Pens?

missphoenix

I graduated from college recently and started using fountain pens almost a year ago, and reading between the lines on FPN, I *think* this makes me one of the younger people on this forum. I'm curious to know if your kids, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, etc. also use and hopefully love fountain pens. Alternatively, are there any other people here who are in their twenties or teens?

Amy C.

My FP/Calligraphy blog: inkynibby

As of January 2016, still searching for the elusive light, slim EDC!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Lemony Cricket

• AndyKeir

• Gudi

All three of our children use fountain pens, in very different settings.

Our eldest will be 21 in January, and is reading Maths at university. The middle is at college, studying to be a vehicle mechanic. He uses a Kaweco Sport rollerball with Diamine cartridges in the workshop, and an FP in the classroom. The youngest is in her second last year at school (just started sixth form for those in the UK) and uses FPs for just about everything.

The eldest enjoys trying out different inks, the younger pair are quite content with black (although the youngest is very good at putting starter packs together for her friends, and working out just the right colour of ink to get them hooked).

My son is in college and has been using fountain pens for the whole past year (he turned 21y two weeks ago, so he has been using it since he was under 21).

In college he has a Platinum 3776, a Pilot CH92 and a Lamy Al-star. In addition, he keeps his Pelikans M200 Cognac and M800 Green striped at home - he is afraid of losing the Pelikans for now, but intends to start using them on a more regular basis when he starts his Ph.D. (hopefully next year).

Edited to add: My son tells me that he has seen a couple of other people using FP in his classes, and they were using Lamy Safaris/Al-stars. His roommate also seems to have become interested in FPs after seeing him using them.

Edited by Lam1

I am below 21 and I use fps for my daily use ;)

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

Three of my children have developed a fondness for fountain pens. They are 25, 13 and 9. My wife suddenly wants a black purple Al-Star, too.

Myself.

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

Bought a Vector FP and BP "set" for my husband's niece when she graduated at the top of her high school class, along with a bottle of PR American Blue.

I suspect her younger sister is aiming to *also* be valedictorian, so it looks as if I'll be pen shopping for her next spring....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My niece who is 13 years old has been using fountain pens ( and dip pens) for the last two years. She has a preference for a red esterbrook j with a calligraphic osmiroid nib and an ebonite triveni junior. I have also given her an old vector, a reform 1745, a sheaffer imperial, a platignum custom fitted with a 1551 esterbrook nib, a Kim ebonite eyedropper, a sailor 1911 and a nice looking third tier lever filler. I think she uses the esterbrook because I told her that JFK had one.

Edited by Zinonas

My granddaughter (12yo) and grandson (9yo) use their fountain pens on a daily basis. About 3 years ago, I took them both to the Michigan Pen Show and reps from Pen Collectors of America were handing out Pelikano Jrs. to all the kids attending the show. They were also taught how to fill the pens and all about pen hygiene. Both love their pens and feel their cursive is much better using a fountain pen. My brother (also a pen collector/user) has given both the kids a new pen every Christmas or birthday since they started using them. They love talking pens with Uncle Steve. Proud to be passing my pen mojo down to the next generation...as it should be.

Both my girls use fountain pens and own a handful of relatively inexpensive pens each; I forget how old they were when they started, but it's been at least several years. Oh, more than that, now that I think about it, because I remember buying Pelikanos for all the offspring who were old enough to use them back sometime before we moved to Michigan 15 years ago. (Somehow they never really took with the boys, although I'm still hopeful about one of them.) The elder is in her mid-twenties now and the younger just turned 21 a month ago.

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

My 9-year-old granddaughter loves pens of all kinds and uses a fountain pen at home. She liked mine so well that she used some of her birthday money and ordered the white tiger-stripe Metropolitan pen along with a bottle of Diamine ink. She used it to write her cousin in Air Force Basic Training. I sent her some of my ink samples which she also enjoyed.

My 7-year-old daughter got one for her birthday yesterday. A pink Safari and a bottle of Diamine Imperial Purple, she loves it.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Me!

OK, I'm 24, but I switched to FPs full-time at 16.

I used to live up there. I went to stone mountain all the time

I turned 22 in October, and have been using fountain pens almost always since 10. I did have a short period of not using them -- due to horrible paper and not so good pen (until 2015 I never thought of owning several of them or spending a bit more on paper).

My girlfriend uses them too, but not exclusively. I got her an MR and a pack of ink samples for her birthday!

Both my children use them, my 10 yr old daughter uses a red Lamy ABC and a puple translucent Sheaffer NN. She even bought a dip pen in Leonardo Da Vinci's house in Amboise, France.

My 7 yr old son chose a blue Lamy ABC and a blue marble Sheaffer NN Vintage last year.

regards,

Hugo

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.