The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jackdaw

mabie todd jackdaw

4 replies to this topic

#1 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 21:53

Here's my sweet new Jackdaw. The 14k nib's doesn't feel quite as robust as some of the other MTs I've experienced but it takes nothing at all to flex. At the moment, it has a few problems flow-wise, in spite of a clean. I'm going to get an ultra sound. Any cleaning tips will be welcome and I offer my modest acquisition here to add to our MT catalogue. It's a lovely pink and silvery green.

[attachment=338574:P1030269.JPG]

Sponsored Content

#2 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2015 - 23:20

I ultrasonic clean the feed, and also run a brass shim or feeder gauge through the feed's channels until they are squeaky clean. It is amazing how much crud is still in there after a ultrasonic bath until I mechanically and manually clean the feed.

Post a longer writing sample. I love the shape of your letters and might get some ideas to alter my script.

#3 missuslovett

missuslovett

Writer, Artist, Weirdo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2015 - 00:33

Thanks for the advice and I'll definitely post some more writing samples once it's up and running smoothly. At the moment it seems to respond best when I flex it but with normal writing it doesn't flow smoothly at all. It's still early days with my attempts at cursive calligraphy but I used to do a lot of round hand once upon a time and I practice every day! It's not a chore with lovely pens like these.

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:47

That's a pretty pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 Cob

Cob

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:23

Very pretty indeed.

Curious that MT reserved these lovely materials almost exclusively for the Jackdaw range, although I believe that a few Visofils may have been made in similar patterns.

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mabie todd, jackdaw

Sponsored Content

|