Sheaffer Parts?

ink-syringe

Hi.

I have a fat touchdown that is a nice juicy stub. I love this pen and it is currently my most used pen. It is the perfect size and flow for daily use.

The problem is that the cap is wrong. I got the pen with the cap for the ball point on it. Despite what you read on the innerwebs, the cap for the ball point does not seem to be threaded the same ... and you know those threaded bands on the pen itself can go south in a hurry so I am worried I am going to muck up this pen by continuing to use the wrong cap. It is very hard to screw on.

Or. Theory 2: The threads are the same but this particular cap is messed up in some way.

I have borrowed a few TD pens, and have a vac filler of the same size and threads. The caps all fit nicely and thread on smoothly. So it is the cap that threads that are off on this cap. I though the threads were just rough or that the cap threads were corroded but they are not. I have cleaned the living daylights out of the inside of cap and it still does not thread on the pen properly and yet all the other caps I have (of the same size) tried do ... so either is is bent subtly in some way I can see or damaged or this is the wrong cap.

So I need a cap for this pen that matches so either a burgundy, steel or GF cap that will fit what I think is an early chubby TD pen with an absolutely amazing stub nib.

Other than Ebay, and Pen Tooling ... anyone know where one can get extra caps?

Again this is a TD pen, I think an early chubby one. Some Vac filler caps fit, so looking for a Sentinel Deluxe, Crest, or Valiant cap that would fit this fantastic little pen.

Any sources for Sheaffer parts other than a pen show?

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink-syringe

• kirchh

• mariom

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cl.ly/image/0n1N222z0L39/20151118_172420.jpg

That short fat Vac filler's cap fits perfectly. Oddly the fat Statesman does not.

Even more oddly, the Ballpoint cap (metal 2 tone above) fits better on the Vac than the TD pen.

Of course not having the right cap to begin with makes it hard to know what the pen even is but assuming it had a 2 tone cap originally than I think this is a Sentinel Deluxe Touchdown.

You should check out Auspens (run by Peter Ford). He seems to have acquired a lot of NOS Sheaffer parts when they closed down operations in Australia.

He may well have what you need.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

You should check out Auspens (run by Peter Ford). He seems to have acquired a lot of NOS Sheaffer parts when they closed down operations in Australia.

He may well have what you need.

That's an excellent idea I've actually purchased from him before several times not parts but whole pens.

The pen on the right in your photo doesn't have a Triumph nib, so the cap design is different.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

The pen on the right in your photo doesn't have a Triumph nib, so the cap design is different.

--Daniel

Of course I figured as much, obviously, but I thought that being both Early pre-TM Touchdowns they might since eyeballing it it looks close and Sheaffer could have saved themselves the trouble by making both fit. I thought that they might do that even though that mean the caps on the conical nips would be slightly larger than they need to be. I surprised they don't share the same caps. Even though one is an open nib and the other a Triumph nib.

Of course I figured as much, obviously, but I thought that being both Early pre-TM Touchdowns they might since eyeballing it it looks close and Sheaffer could have saved themselves the trouble by making both fit. I thought that they might do that even though that mean the caps on the conical nips would be slightly larger than they need to be. I surprised they don't share the same caps. Even though one is an open nib and the other a Triumph nib.

The different nib/section designs require different sealing arrangements.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe