The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I Got Snookered On Ebay, Crud.

esterbrook ebay

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 dasXFnib

dasXFnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:21

Just snagged a Copper SJ with new 9556 nib on Etsy!!

On its way as I type this!!:)

PaperQueen....Enjoy your new addition!!

Always try to get the dibs......on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Sponsored Content

#42 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 December 2015 - 17:20

I'm the amateur here.  I read 'got snookered on ebay' to be 'got schnockered on Scotch' which very well could lead to the other.

At any rate, did we get the Esterbrook part of this problem solved?

Yuppers, thanks to the aid and support of fellow FPNers. :)

Was able to get a full refund, post honest feedback regarding the listing, and am readying a happy new home for the copper J gweimer located on my behalf. All is happy in PaperQueen Land.

Just snagged a Copper SJ with new 9556 nib on Etsy!!

On its way as I type this!! :)

Woooo-hoooo! So tickled for you, dasXFnib! If the pen's as lovely as you expect, and the seller was easy to work with, be sure to post positive feedback for them. The good guys deserve a shout out too!

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...???  : : : sigh : : : 

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

#43 dasXFnib

dasXFnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:26

PQ.....

+1000 on the positive feedback!!!

I'll add my kudos to the 100+ that have posted, giving him 5 STARS!!

Oh.....did I mention....he's got MORE Esties "on the block"....

Ummmm......where's my checkbook??!;)

Always try to get the dibs.....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

#44 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 14:47

I'm late to this party. To the OP, looking at the listing and if you look in the description you would have seen this 

The pictures are representative of the pen you will receive.  It is not the actual pen.  We have sold many Esterbrooks from this auction.

That would have given myself cause to ask more questions.

Now I have purchased a few Parker advertising jotters from this seller in the past with no problems.

The photos should always represent what is being offered and not using stock photos to sell items. You were correct in getting a refund.

When I sell on ebay I list and photo the item [ whatever it maybe ] and never do the bait & switch.

#45 PaperQueen

PaperQueen

Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2015 - 18:11

I'm late to this party. To the OP, looking at the listing and if you look in the description you would have seen this 

The pictures are representative of the pen you will receive.  It is not the actual pen.  We have sold many Esterbrooks from this auction.

That would have given myself cause to ask more questions.

We're of like minds. Prior to purchase, I asked very specific questions regarding this part of the listing description:

• Overall condition: These pens are in gently used condition. There will be no major flaws, but there may be micro scratches consistent with the age of the pen.  

The seller confirmed via email exchange there would be nothing more than "micro scratches," only visible through a loupe. Definitely didn't disclose multiple cracks (the original pen that shipped) or severe rust (the replacement pen, photos in post #1).

As someone who prefers to look for silver linings, this experience led to wonderful things, including new connections with Esterbrook sellers who are also FPN members.

Doesn't get better than that!  :D

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...???  : : : sigh : : : 

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

#46 jdllizard

jdllizard

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:52

Yuppers, thanks to the aid and support of fellow FPNers. :)

Was able to get a full refund, post honest feedback regarding the listing, and am readying a happy new home for the copper J gweimer located on my behalf. All is happy in PaperQueen Land.

Woooo-hoooo! So tickled for you, dasXFnib! If the pen's as lovely as you expect, and the seller was easy to work with, be sure to post positive feedback for them. The good guys deserve a shout out too!

Gweimer's a great dude, he "helped" me get into Esterbrooks and has always been a good source of generosity and knowledge.

Though by "helped", I mean he is what an addict would call an "enabler", soooo.....
John L

#47 seattlec257

seattlec257

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 00:25

I know exactly the seller you're talking about. I bought a pen from them when I was a brand new user. Cap lip was cracked when I got it. It's under "Esterbrook J Fountain Pen You Choose Color and Nib!". 

I'm brand new to all this and there was something that felt "off" about those auctions...but, I found two beautiful pens from Dricker Woodworking and am SO pleased with both! Thanks to all in this thread for the helpful information!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, ebay

Sponsored Content

|