Inky T O D - Midlife Crisis - I'm Running Away To Make Inks

amberleadavis

Having just gotten my kids report cards, my preliminary profit and loss numbers, and the to-do list provided by my helpful assistant, I've decided to "run away" from home. Since I can't dump my wife (I'm not married) and buy a convertible red corvette (I have teenagers, so I'm keeping the blue SUV), I've decided to "quit" my practice and go make inks in Tokyo. I know nothing about chemistry or ink making, but I figure I'll have a great time.

You can visit me here:

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/pigment-1.jpg

Well, actually, I'm just kidding. I'm going to log off FPN for THE DAY and go write briefs, and maybe walk to court.

However, if anyone is in Tokyo and can find out if this place will make inks for us, I'd be excited.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/11/japanese-pigment-store/

So, what about you, if today were your "Run Away" day, what would you do? Join the Circus? Meet up the Gypsies? Stalk the Goulets? Find out where Cyber6's ink banks are located? Visit JustWrite in Australia? Siege Nathan's fortress?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• dcwaites

• lapis

• HalloweenHJB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd make inks (seriously), analyze all others (that'd be the most expensive part with chromatography equipment incl. GC-MS etc.) and then sell everything in glass bottles but also as samples. Should be able to do it (consideriung my education and occupation for the last 40 years (sorry). But the competition is already too tough. And the dough I already have, I just squander it into more inks themselves.

Belch

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I'd like to go with Amberlea to that place in the picture and try out as many of those inks as possible... and then,the following week, I'd like to spend a few days hanging out with Nathan T just to see how he does all that he seems to do :wacko: I suspect I might need a day in between the visiting days to recover and prepare for the next one (as in sleep). And then I'd like to spend at least a week in a quiet, peaceful little cabin (complete with room service :D ) with no distractions (computer, tv, husband) where I could write letters and catch up with all my long-suffering pen-pals. Oh, um, was this only supposed to be a one-day event? :unsure:

Well, I don't think you can really successfully run away in one day, so I'll come with you on your adventures except for the cabin part. Think Nathan will do a group tour for us?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I've already "runaway". I've quit work, found a wonderful partner, spend 6 months of the year in a beautiful little place surrounded by the sea and next to a bay full of black swans and pelicans, and have TWO perfect ink stashes in two hemispheres. What more could I possibly want.....? Well maybe a month touring around ink & stationery stores in Japan :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Having just gotten my kids report cards, my preliminary profit and loss numbers, and the to-do list provided by my helpful assistant, I've decided to "run away" from home. Since I can't dump my wife (I'm not married) and buy a convertible red corvette (I have teenagers, so I'm keeping the blue SUV), I've decided to "quit" my practice and go make inks in Tokyo. I know nothing about chemistry or ink making, but I figure I'll have a great time.

You can visit me here:

I can just see me hanging around the blue black section . . .

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_pigment_shop.jpg

I've already "runaway". I've quit work, found a wonderful partner, spend 6 months of the year in a beautiful little place surrounded by the sea and next to a bay full of black swans and pelicans, and have TWO perfect ink stashes in two hemispheres. What more could I possibly want.....? Well maybe a month touring around ink & stationery stores in Japan :-)

Wooo hoohoo . . . !

Congratulations :) :) :)

The romantic me would walk the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela, something I've wanted to do since I was in college. But I'd have to win the lottery first (that's the practical side of me) because I'd have to pay my friend's way as well, so she could play translator -- she's half Spanish and speaks both Spanish and Galegos [Galician] (the dialect from the NW corner of Spain where Santiago is located). Another possibility would be to go to Belgium and learn to make IG inks from FPN member Pharmacist, and then on to Poland to learn to make them from Konrad of KWZI inks.

That place in Tokyo looks cool though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I could imagine to move to Japan just to be able to afford and get access to their inks....

man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hmm, I've already done the running away bit. Working on a small (tiny) tropical island, evenings spent sitting on a chair, feet propped on the seawall, watching the sunset over the Owen Stanley ranges.

That's the good bit.

The bad bits - infinite* population of cockroaches living in the septic tank under the house; realising after you turned the electricity generator off that you were all alone, and if anything happened you were the responsible adult; realizing that two-stroke outboard engines are a ) sentient and b ) malevolent; and finally the only ink on the island was the bottle of Quink Blue-Black that you brought over yourself.

* there is a standard procedure for estimating the size of a population by capturing a series of samples. The result was infinite.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I guess when I think about it I have retired, even though I'm still running the distillery business. But I'm not really free to up and run off to exotic locales.

I think an inky trip to Japan, visiting shops, Buddhist shrines, and lots of sushi shops would be very exciting. Not sure I'll ever be able to afford it though. Visiting India for the major places of the Buddha would be amazing, and probably a lot cheaper, but again not sure whether I'll actually do that.

Would like to visit some places out West in New Mexico, Colorado, and Montana via road trip where I visit friends along the way. Maybe 2017, but we'll see.

However, if anyone is in Tokyo and can find out if this place will make inks for us, I'd be excited.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/11/japanese-pigment-store/

I followed Amber's linky. My head exploderated. There will be a short break in service while somebody super-glues the bits back together.

BTW, I didn't see a good match to PPS there...

Granny Aching

Cabin by the sea

Nice journal

Three pens

Three inks

Twinings Irish Breakfat tea.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

the moment I saw the picture... I say somewhere in Japan and so I was right...

as for me... I dont know... my midlife crisis has been made with a set of answers consisting of I don't know...

the Pigment store is more of paint and hobby think of making colors out of clear lacquer or Japanese Urushi if you have the money to pay those old people their retirement...

but as I said there's Kakimori (ink stand) and RYP who both use PR inks to make blends

as for my goal... maybe settle somewhere in Asia... and probably have the bi annual privilege of going to an otaku pilgrimage to tokyo for a war on lines and consumerism and attend a Sailor ink clinic

Cabin by the sea

Nice journal

Three pens

Three inks

Twinings Irish Breakfat tea.

I literally had --

Cabin by the sea (high tide came up to half a metre from the edge of the porch)

Parker 75 Sterling Silver Ciselle

A wide range of Twinings teas including English Breakfast, Lapsang Souchong, Green Gunpowder, with boiled rainwater (the only way to make tea).

A rather flatulent dog who would sleep outside, but only separated from the head of my bed by flywire.

Granny Aching

At what age the "midlife crises" happens?

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

At what age the "midlife crises" happens?

Half way between youth and old age.

Since I have decided never to be old, I will never get there. I may *look* old and decrepit, my joints may freeze up after 30 seconds of inactivity, but I will never **be** old.

As for midlife crisis, I have crises all the time, but I will not acknowledge they have anything to do with age.

I will not go gentle into that good night,

My age will burn and rave at close of day;

I will rage, rage against the dying of the light.

With apologies to DT.

PS : I fully intend to attend my own wake. Barring being squished unexpectedly by a stray meteorite, I will invite everybody and enjoy hearing them say nice things about me.

Edited by dcwaites

Granny Aching